The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Why is Strathclyde so lowly ranked in course&lecturers on WhatUni?

I'm possibly going to do Civil Engineering at Strathclyde and I thought that it was meant to be really good; but then it was ranked 100th out of 126? Is engineering good though? Is it better than Brunel would you say?
Thanks in advance.
Original post by dartagnankillian
I'm possibly going to do Civil Engineering at Strathclyde and I thought that it was meant to be really good; but then it was ranked 100th out of 126? Is engineering good though? Is it better than Brunel would you say?
Thanks in advance.

Every person ranks their lecturers as dog poop.

Have a look at its Teaching Excellence Framework score
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by Kyber Ninja
Every person ranks their lecturers as dog poop.

Have a look at its Teaching Excellence Framework score

That's a fair enough point, but apparently they didn't take part in the TEF
Reply 3

Are you from Scotland? If so go for Strathclyde over Brunel as Strathclyde is free

Maybe try and view their lectures online? Or get in contact with some students if you can manage a visit :smile:
Original post by e^iπ
Are you from Scotland? If so go for Strathclyde over Brunel as Strathclyde is free

Nah, if I was Scottish I'd definitely go for it though.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Maybe try and view their lectures online? Or get in contact with some students if you can manage a visit :smile:

That first point is a good idea actually :smile: and I am visiting but it's in the summer
Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

I know your post was over a week ago but I have just joined the student room as Official Rep for the University of Strathclyde so thought I would send you a quick reply to check if you still have any questions about studying with us and the Civil Engineering course!

You will find varying rankings/ratings depending on where you are looking, but in general our Engineering students are very satisfied with their course! 95% of students within Engineering were overall satisfied with their course (according to the NSS results 2017)

I noticed you mentioned you are planning on visiting over the summer - are you attending one of our Visit Afternoons?

Do you have any other questions about studying here that you would like answered?

Happy to help and look forward to hearing from you

Sarah
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi there,

I know your post was over a week ago but I have just joined the student room as Official Rep for the University of Strathclyde so thought I would send you a quick reply to check if you still have any questions about studying with us and the Civil Engineering course!

You will find varying rankings/ratings depending on where you are looking, but in general our Engineering students are very satisfied with their course! 95% of students within Engineering were overall satisfied with their course (according to the NSS results 2017)

I noticed you mentioned you are planning on visiting over the summer - are you attending one of our Visit Afternoons?

Do you have any other questions about studying here that you would like answered?

Happy to help and look forward to hearing from you

Sarah

Ah I am aware the overall ranking isn’t as great an indicator as the course’s individual ranking, but that’s great to hear! And due to family finances and work I’ve arranged to go up to Glasgow around the 27-29th July- I was going to look up if there was anything going on around those dates.
I have a question about bursaries as I haven’t really looked into it yet;
Are there any scholarships/ bursaries available for low income families (or care leavers) from RUK? And if so, as Strathclyde is my insurance (but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up there and I’m totally happy about that!) would it be too late to apply for one on results day? If so, can you apply the next year?
Also do they help you find a part-time job?
How are the networking events?
How expensive is Glasgow?
And last q, can I find any lectures online?
Sorry that’s a few questions, just thought I should take advantage that you’re here! Thanks in advance! 😊
Reply 9
Thanks in advance.

Hi I don't know where you ranking is from, but in the Complete University Guide, Strathclyde is ranked in the top10 (8th) in the civil engineering in 2018-2019.
I will be also go to Strathclyde for a Msc in civil engineering as an international student. Maybe we'll meet!

Here is a link to check the ranking: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Civil%20Engineering
Original post by tresor
Hi I don't know where you ranking is from, but in the Complete University Guide, Strathclyde is ranked in the top10 (8th) in the civil engineering in 2018-2019.
I will be also go to Strathclyde for a Msc in civil engineering as an international student. Maybe we'll meet!

Here is a link to check the ranking: https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Civil%20Engineering

Ah yeah I’ve seen that (and more specifically I’m Civil & Environmental Eng but I’d say it’s the same, and maybe I’ll bump into you!). My ranking’s from WhatUni which is based off of student ratings, but it wasn’t subject specific; I’m guessing engineering by itself would’ve gotten a good ranking, just not the uni as a whole (or the students are just savage aha). 😊
I think it’s because Strathclyde isn’t as well known. Being overshadowed by Glasgow, Edinburgh and st Andrews. It’s not bad and is still a good uni but will have less rep then the other unis.
Ah I am aware the overall ranking isn’t as great an indicator as the course’s individual ranking, but that’s great to hear! And due to family finances and work I’ve arranged to go up to Glasgow around the 27-29th July- I was going to look up if there was anything going on around those dates.
I have a question about bursaries as I haven’t really looked into it yet;
Are there any scholarships/ bursaries available for low income families (or care leavers) from RUK? And if so, as Strathclyde is my insurance (but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up there and I’m totally happy about that!) would it be too late to apply for one on results day? If so, can you apply the next year?
Sorry that’s a few questions, just thought I should take advantage that you’re here! Thanks in advance! 😊

Sorry for the delay in getting back to I have been out and about attending UCAS fairs :smile: I will try my best to answer your questions below:

"Are there any scholarships/ bursaries available for low income families (or care leavers) from RUK? And if so, as Strathclyde is my insurance (but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up there and I’m totally happy about that!) would it be too late to apply for one on results day? If so, can you apply the next year?"

Yes - We have lots of scholarships and bursaries available to help you out! Our Strathclyde Access Bursary is specifically for RUK students, and is based on your household income and could provide up to £3,000 per year of study. The great thing about this bursary is that you don't have to make a separate application for it. You will be automatically assessed by our financial team and if you are eligible - it's yours. You can find full details of the income and bursary levels on our scholarships pages, and you would certainly still be considered for this even if don't decide you are taking up your offer until results day! There are a few other RUK specific scholarships and bursaries you may want to check out on there, some based on academic achievement such as the Strathclyde Excellence Scholarship and the Faculty of Engineering Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship. We also provide an Accommodation Bursary of £1,000 to first year RUK students who stay in university halls.

Students from a care background can also apply for additional support as we do have scholarships available. Feel free to DM me if you require any further information on that and I would be happy to point you in the right direction!

Glasgow is a great place for finding part-time work to help fund your studies, and luckily Strathclyde is slap bang in the city centre - so there are lots of opportunities for jobs in cafes, retail, restaurants, bars - or you could even look into a position with our team as a Student Ambassador or Open Day helper! Our Careers service are absolutely fab and run a range of events throughout the year to support students and help them find work. They will even offer support in writing a CV for those who need a hand! The Careers service has a search engine called "My Career Hub" where we advertise vacancies, summer internships, part-time jobs etc. so that may be a good place to start.

Are you referring to networking events with graduate employers or current students? If you let me know I can get back to you :h:

I have always found Glasgow a very affordable city to live in. Obviously it depends on where you are shopping (M&S/Waitrose or Aldi/Lidl!) and what your lifestyle is like in general, but as Strathclyde is so central you will probably find you don't have much to pay in terms of travel, rent is relatively cheap, and flashing your student card can get you lots of discounts, free entry to club nights etc.so make sure you bring it with you everywhere!

I am just going to double check this one with one of my colleagues within the department of Civil Engineering and will get back to you asap!!

I hope I have managed to answer some of your questions. Was there anything else you wanted to know?

If you are planning a Visit in July you can register for one of our Strathclyde Visit events. These include a presentation from one of our student recruitment team, an opportunity to ask any questions, and a campus tour with one of our current students.

Hope that helps!

Sarah
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Sorry for the delay in getting back to I have been out and about attending UCAS fairs :smile: I will try my best to answer your questions below:

"Are there any scholarships/ bursaries available for low income families (or care leavers) from RUK? And if so, as Strathclyde is my insurance (but I’m pretty sure I’ll end up there and I’m totally happy about that!) would it be too late to apply for one on results day? If so, can you apply the next year?"

Yes - We have lots of scholarships and bursaries available to help you out! Our Strathclyde Access Bursary is specifically for RUK students, and is based on your household income and could provide up to £3,000 per year of study. The great thing about this bursary is that you don't have to make a separate application for it. You will be automatically assessed by our financial team and if you are eligible - it's yours. You can find full details of the income and bursary levels on our scholarships pages, and you would certainly still be considered for this even if don't decide you are taking up your offer until results day! There are a few other RUK specific scholarships and bursaries you may want to check out on there, some based on academic achievement such as the Strathclyde Excellence Scholarship and the Faculty of Engineering Undergraduate Excellence Scholarship. We also provide an Accommodation Bursary of £1,000 to first year RUK students who stay in university halls.

Students from a care background can also apply for additional support as we do have scholarships available. Feel free to DM me if you require any further information on that and I would be happy to point you in the right direction!

Glasgow is a great place for finding part-time work to help fund your studies, and luckily Strathclyde is slap bang in the city centre - so there are lots of opportunities for jobs in cafes, retail, restaurants, bars - or you could even look into a position with our team as a Student Ambassador or Open Day helper! Our Careers service are absolutely fab and run a range of events throughout the year to support students and help them find work. They will even offer support in writing a CV for those who need a hand! The Careers service has a search engine called "My Career Hub" where we advertise vacancies, summer internships, part-time jobs etc. so that may be a good place to start.

Are you referring to networking events with graduate employers or current students? If you let me know I can get back to you :h:

I have always found Glasgow a very affordable city to live in. Obviously it depends on where you are shopping (M&S/Waitrose or Aldi/Lidl!) and what your lifestyle is like in general, but as Strathclyde is so central you will probably find you don't have much to pay in terms of travel, rent is relatively cheap, and flashing your student card can get you lots of discounts, free entry to club nights etc.so make sure you bring it with you everywhere!

I am just going to double check this one with one of my colleagues within the department of Civil Engineering and will get back to you asap!!

I hope I have managed to answer some of your questions. Was there anything else you wanted to know?

If you are planning a Visit in July you can register for one of our Strathclyde Visit events. These include a presentation from one of our student recruitment team, an opportunity to ask any questions, and a campus tour with one of our current students.

Hope that helps!

Sarah

That‘s perfectly alright, thank you so much!😊 I just hope as someone from the south west that I can handle the cold... 🤔 we’ll see, thanks again!
Yeah the overall rankings are somewhat misleading. You go to the place that is ranked highly for *your* subject and whether your course is accredited by it’s professional bodies. So for Civil Engineering (like I’m doing) you’ll want it to satisfy the iEng or CEng educational requirement.
That‘s perfectly alright, thank you so much!😊 I just hope as someone from the south west that I can handle the cold... 🤔 we’ll see, thanks again!

Locally to Scotland, Strathclyde has an excellent reputation for its engineering programmes. It's got a nice central campus too.

I went elsewhere for a biosciences degree but I think practically everyone who I knew in high school that wanted to pursue engineering ended up going to Strathclyde.

I take issue with the university since it recently hiked its master's degree prices because the government upped the available funding to students -fiscally parasitic move in my view.

Glasgow is a great city though, hope you enjoy your visit :smile:

Just to let you know I have had a very quick response from my colleague in Civil Engineering who has said that it depends on the individual lecturer regarding lecture notes, but in general most of them will put up lecture notes on MyPlace after lectures, so you should be able to access them there.

Oh and FYI it is due to hit 31 degrees in Glasgow today actually (I promise it is like that all year round :wink:)

All the best,

Sarah
hiya,
I'm going into third year civil and environmental eng at Strathclyde and can only recommend it! Absolutely satisfied with my choice. Courses are the same for civil and civil & environmental eng. up until fourth year so u can still decided up until then what you wanna do. The campus is brilliant as it's right in the city centre and the facilities are great. Really buzzing for the new gym :biggrin:
Original post by ezrapogoda
hiya,
I'm going into third year civil and environmental eng at Strathclyde and can only recommend it! Absolutely satisfied with my choice. Courses are the same for civil and civil & environmental eng. up until fourth year so u can still decided up until then what you wanna do. The campus is brilliant as it's right in the city centre and the facilities are great. Really buzzing for the new gym :biggrin:

Yeah I’ve actually applied for Civil and Environmental, I’m glad to hear that!😊 have you not opted for an industrial placement? That’s something I’m interested in. Also do they have any networking/ career events? Thanks in advance! I’m glad to hear that it’s good, I really like the sound of it 😊
Yeah I’ve actually applied for Civil and Environmental, I’m glad to hear that!😊 have you not opted for an industrial placement? That’s something I’m interested in. Also do they have any networking/ career events? Thanks in advance! I’m glad to hear that it’s good, I really like the sound of it 😊

nah I'm not doing an industrial placement however you do have the option to take a year off and work. I think that is possible between any year of studies. yea, you get tons of information about industrial/summer placements and there are events with the institution of civil engineers, workshops with companies etc. The uni has also a career service where u can get help with your cv, interviews etc. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending