The Student Room Group

Life at Harris Westminster Sixth Form

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello, how is maths as an A level, is it compulsory if i want to do PPE (in Oxford)?
Original post by Pobor
Hello, how is maths as an A level, is it compulsory if i want to do PPE (in Oxford)?

Hi! We do OCR A level Maths in HWSF, and personally, it’s not easy but it’s not hard if you put the work in. Oxford says that Maths is useful but not essential. However, most of their applicants have taken at least AS Maths. This will help in Economics or data handling etc.
hi,I have questions about the extra curricular side of Harris Westminster. I know you have sports evenings once a week but what is it really like sports wise at the school? for example is there a gym or something that you can go to before/after school or between lessons? Is there after school training/clubs available for keen athletes? Are there many sports teams and how competitive are they?On the other hand, how able would you be to juggle a job or something similar outside of school (purely in the sense of time not work)? In this sense I mean do students have gaps in the day without lessons when they can get work done, or if your classes finish before 4 would you be able to leave early (and if so how often do people get timetabled afternoons off)?Thank you.
Original post by Logan299
hi,I have questions about the extra curricular side of Harris Westminster. I know you have sports evenings once a week but what is it really like sports wise at the school? for example is there a gym or something that you can go to before/after school or between lessons? Is there after school training/clubs available for keen athletes? Are there many sports teams and how competitive are they?On the other hand, how able would you be to juggle a job or something similar outside of school (purely in the sense of time not work)? In this sense I mean do students have gaps in the day without lessons when they can get work done, or if your classes finish before 4 would you be able to leave early (and if so how often do people get timetabled afternoons off)?Thank you.

Sports is every Thursday afternoon. There are about 15 choices for sports (there are also non-sport sports like debate or bridge). They either take place at school or LSBU or St James’ Park. We don’t have a gym. I think the school is trying to have more competitions. We recently took part in Harris Federation Sports Day, for example. I would say the reason why we don’t have that much of sport competitions is because we simply don’t have time for them. A Levels are time consuming enough (and you will experience this soon dw haha).

As I said before, 4 A levels are tough so I don’t think one would not have time for a job unless you’re very skilled at time managing. We have free lessons (about 4) so students get work done (well most). You can’t leave school till the day ends.
Hey, are the textbooks for your subjects given to you or will you have to buy them?
Also, you said you do OCR A for maths but wasnt it OCR MEI?
Original post by LivanC21
Hey, are the textbooks for your subjects given to you or will you have to buy them?
Also, you said you do OCR A for maths but wasnt it OCR MEI?

Hi! All textbooks are provided for you, and the school has changed the exam board to OCR A. They just haven’t updated it :smile:
What books should I read to have a head start in Biology, Politics and Philosophy, Theology and Ethics?
Original post by Apple101!
What books should I read to have a head start in Biology, Politics and Philosophy, Theology and Ethics?

Hi! For Biology, there are revision guides such as head start to A Level Biology. You should have a look... For Politics and PTE i say go through the gcse content (not sure if there is gcse politics, but im sure there is one for PTE). Also, on our website, we have a document which lists the topics you’ll cover throughout the year, so maybe it’s useful to research some of the topics? Don’t stress out though :smile:
Original post by HWSF Senate
Hi! All textbooks are provided for you, and the school has changed the exam board to OCR A. They just haven’t updated it :smile:

Thanks for your reply, Has it been changed for to OCR A for further maths aswell?
Reply 49
What type of school equipment do you recommend bringing and will we be provided with exercise books like in secondary school or do we have to buy our own? Also is it necessary to wear a blazer? And finally, do we get to choose what house we are part of?
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi I'm not apart of the senate but I did go to the induction day on Wednesday so I can tell you that the house selection is completely random, as for the blazer I know that you have to wear it to important events such as assemblies and open days if you are representing the school. I don't know about your other questions but I hope that this was helpful 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
Just wondering how strict they are with clothing. Do you think polo shirts are alright (for girl) with like a plain skirt? Or must it be a blouse?
Original post by magic_sauces
Just wondering how strict they are with clothing. Do you think polo shirts are alright (for girl) with like a plain skirt? Or must it be a blouse?

As I said I'm not a member of the Senate nor the school however I have looked at their dress code and they do not say anything against polo shirts. I think that their biggest thing is that the students look smart and professional. The only items they are really against I think are hoodies, chunky knitwear, jeans and I can't exactly remember the rest of the items that they mentioned, as fair as tops go the shoulders have to be covered. When I went to the induction day on Wednesday I saw people wearing a variety of clothing on different ends of the smart workwear spectrum.
Original post by alxna_1
What type of school equipment do you recommend bringing and will we be provided with exercise books like in secondary school or do we have to buy our own? Also is it necessary to wear a blazer? And finally, do we get to choose what house we are part of?

No exercise books, you have to bring in your own paper and day folder with dividers. Alternatively, you can type up your notes
Have any other exam boards been changed. E.g for OCR B physics or the sciences
Original post by alannaire
Have any other exam boards been changed. E.g for OCR B physics or the sciences

Ocr A for physics and the rest are unchanged
Reply 56
Hi
Not sure if this has been asked but what is the difference between a pre-U and an A level?
Original post by goldsun
Hi
Not sure if this has been asked but what is the difference between a pre-U and an A level?

Slr, pre u is basically harder than a levels, it’s like a bridge between a levels and uni level. Despite its difficulty, it does look more impressive than doing an a level.
What is the policy on dying hair, piercings, nails and make up?
Original post by Apple101!
What is the policy on dying hair, piercings, nails and make up?

Absolutely nothing, you can do whatever you want as long as you look professional ish and presentable at school

Quick Reply

Latest