The Student Room Group

Affording life and studying a masters

Hi everyone

I have secured a place on my MA course for September and im just wondering how on earth people afford live a good life and study a masters.
So theres the loan where you can borrow a max of £10,600 or something so ive applied for that but my course costs nearly £8000 which means ill be left with virtually nothing. Of course I plan to get a part time job but even if I get 20 hours per week I dont think it will cover rent/bills. I cant live at home with my parents so that's out of the question.

Any advice would be great :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The short answer is that some people get a scholarship of some kind and the rest either are given/lent money by their families, have savings from working before the master's, or do the master's part-time while working. Personally, I had some savings from working a few years, and also worked as an RA in a halls of residence which meant I got free accommodation. If you want to start a course this September, it's probably too late to apply for funding or RA jobs, so switching to part-time might be your best option?
Reply 2
Original post by laebae
The short answer is that some people get a scholarship of some kind and the rest either are given/lent money by their families, have savings from working before the master's, or do the master's part-time while working. Personally, I had some savings from working a few years, and also worked as an RA in a halls of residence which meant I got free accommodation. If you want to start a course this September, it's probably too late to apply for funding or RA jobs, so switching to part-time might be your best option?

Ugh thought that might be the answer! Ive just come back from travelling so no money saved up. Luckily I can save this summer as im crashing with my pparents. I dont want to live in halls as I have a long term partner and im 25, I feel like im too old for that now lol.
Looking to get a flat with my boyfriend but rent here is sky high.

I could look into going part time, thanks :smile:
Your university should have an access fund, so you need to apply for this as soon as you start because they will only have so much available. Can you do extra work between now and starting your course so you can save? Some uni's offer masters students the chance to do lectures for students on the degree course but it depends on the university that you're in, you could offer to do tuition too.
Asked and answered many times. Personal savings, loans, part-time work, parents, scholarships, sponsorship, bursaries etc. Does your partner work? Work a couple of jobs for the next three and a half months and you should be ok.

Without wanting to come across as arrogant, no-one forced you to go travelling and it's down to your own choices that you're in the financial position you are now. Good luck, I hope you manage to get things sorted.
Scholarships are crap for PG. Loan doesn't cover much more than tuition. You're stuffed, unfortunately, unless you are wealthy/have a large sum of money saved, have a job or can study at a local uni.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Duncan2012
Asked and answered many times. Personal savings, loans, part-time work, parents, scholarships, sponsorship, bursaries etc. Does your partner work? Work a couple of jobs for the next three and a half months and you should be ok.

Without wanting to come across as arrogant, no-one forced you to go travelling and it's down to your own choices that you're in the financial position you are now. Good luck, I hope you manage to get things sorted.

It doesnt come across as arrogant, just a bit rude and unhelpful.
Nobody forced me to go travelling, that a was wonderful decision I made before knowing I even wanted to persue my masters. It enriched my life and gave me valuable experience and actually whilst I was away I decided to look into doing my masters so ive got travelling to thank for.

Luckily my parnter works and will be able to come up with most of the rent we have worked out tonight so looks like ill manage.
Reply 7
Original post by HappyBuddah
Your university should have an access fund, so you need to apply for this as soon as you start because they will only have so much available. Can you do extra work between now and starting your course so you can save? Some uni's offer masters students the chance to do lectures for students on the degree course but it depends on the university that you're in, you could offer to do tuition too.

Yes will hopefully get a full time job this summer so I've got a few months and my partner said he will help so I should manage.
Thanks for the helpful advice :smile:
Original post by Brybry1
It doesnt come across as arrogant, just a bit rude and unhelpful.

I’m not sure why you think it’s ‘rude and unhelpful’ to point out you spent all your money travelling?
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
I’m not sure why you think it’s ‘rude and unhelpful’ to point out you spent all your money travelling?

How on earth is it helpful?
Original post by Brybry1
How on earth is it helpful?

Well, there are people who cannot under any circumstances afford to do a master's. Even living at home, they wouldn't have enough money to pay for a master's without parental support or savings. You had perhaps both and wasted the money on travelling. You then cannot complain about the unfairness of being unable to pay for a master's course.
I've asked my (future) Master's supervisor about this, and he said a fair few past students went for Career Development Loans from the government. It's sort of mid way between a student loan and a normal government loan. There's lots of info about this online, and your University should be able to provide more information about it, too.

But yeah, I am in a similar position to you (except I've never been travelling, but it sounds amazing...). I'm working full time over summer to cover the excess cost of my course that the normal Master's loan doesn't cover, and taking out a loan for the rest of my maintenance / life costs. Don't let people guilt you out of this - there are ways of doing it for sure! :smile:

Best of luck with everything.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Notoriety
Well, there are people who cannot under any circumstances afford to do a master's. Even living at home, they wouldn't have enough money to pay for a master's without parental support or savings. You had perhaps both and wasted the money on travelling. You then cannot complain about the unfairness of being unable to pay for a master's course.

I havent wasted my money at all, travelling is something I can take to the grave and I'm thankful I did it. It seems a few people are sour grapes, probably because you yourself have never done it.
Im not complaining, I was asking for helpful advice, tell me where I made a complaint about it being unfair??
Ugh so many knobs on here, wish I never bloody posted this.
All I wanted was advice, not lectures from people who dont know me.
Reply 13
Original post by bekahw96
I've asked my (future) Master's supervisor about this, and he said a fair few past students went for Career Development Loans from the government. It's sort of mid way between a student loan and a normal government loan. There's lots of info about this online, and your University should be able to provide more information about it, too.

But yeah, I am in a similar position to you (except I've never been travelling, but it sounds amazing...). I'm working full time over summer to cover the excess cost of my course that the normal Master's loan doesn't cover, and taking out a loan for the rest of my maintenance / life costs. Don't let people guilt you out of this - there are ways of doing it for sure! :smile:

Best of luck with everything.

Thanks for the helpful advice, I was looking at Career Development Loans so if I need to I'll probably go for that!
Thanks for being nice, good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by Brybry1
I havent wasted my money at all, travelling is something I can take to the grave and I'm thankful I did it. It seems a few people are sour grapes, probably because you yourself have never done it.

I gave you advice in an earlier post. I simply pointed out the other poster is right that you had the opportunity to pay for a master's and wasted it on travelling. If other people read this thread, they can learn from your mistakes.
Original post by Brybry1
Im not complaining, I was asking for helpful advice, tell me where I made a complaint about it being unfair??
Ugh so many knobs on here, wish I never bloody posted this.
All I wanted was advice, not lectures from people who dont know me.

I gave you advice in an earlier post. I simply pointed out the other poster is right that you had the opportunity to pay for a master's and wasted it on travelling. If other people read this thread, they can learn from your mistakes.

Actually, I never said OP wasted money travelling. Far from it. I'm sure it was well spent. I went travelling during my own gap year so I know how great it can be. What I said was that it was OP's decision to spend their money on that, in case anyone else reading this thread is trying to work out whether to save or go travelling. Many/most people can't afford both. So if you choose one you may not be able to afford the other.

I also pointed out various sources of income the OP could consider. But I get called a knob for my efforts. Nice.
Reply 16

Sorry, what mistakes?
I went travelling and im still doing my masters in September. Luckily my partner has money and he's going to pay most of the rent after working things out so now thats not a bother :smile:
Glad I am one of those lucky people who get to do both!!
Original post by Brybry1
Sorry, what mistakes?
I went travelling and im still doing my masters in September. Luckily my partner has money and he's going to pay most of the rent after working things out so now thats not a bother :smile:
Glad I am one of those lucky people who get to do both!!

I am not sure why you think I give two ****s.
Reply 18
I am not sure why you think I give two ****s.

Well, what are you doing on this thread then?
Goodbye...
Reply 19
I went local (ish) and jobbed about in bands to pay my way. No loans etc, just smart money management during my undergrad (I knew from the off I'd do a masters) so I had some money set to one side, and working enough on the circuit to keep my head above water.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending