The Student Room Group

23-year-old star sensationally retires from international football

Sardar Azmoun, Iran's main striker and target man, announced his retirement after 11 goals in 14 qualifying games (23 in 36 overall for Iran) and playing every minute of the World Cup.

He cites "insults" to himself and teammates (after Iran's most successful period post-Revolution and best World Cup campaign in their history) leading to his mother relapsing after overcoming illness.

You'd expect it to be a rash decision he reverses, but who knows who these fans are hurling insults. There are moronic kids in every country evidently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44643853
There's a very worrying trend developing with the amount of personal abuse footballers are getting every time they make a mistake or their team doesn't win.

If you think someone played **** then say it, insult their performance all you like because it's justified. Resorting to death threats or racism is just not on though.
He will probably come back at some point.
Reply 3
Original post by sr90
If you think someone played **** then say it, insult their performance all you like because it's justified.

That's a really *****y approach.

If someone played badly, chances are they didn't mean to nor did anything wrong. They deserve insults and abuse if they show disrespect, not for trying.

But most importantly, we're talking about regular people with bad opinions 2-dimensional views. Azmoun did well, especially as a kid up against huge favourites never mind Ramos & Pique and Pepe.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
I imagine he's got some European relative and just wants an excuse to use his second uncle ect.. as a route into France rather than Iranian football.

Either that or he dislikes his country (fair enough given that it's Iran).
Original post by Rakas21
I imagine he's got some European relative and just wants an excuse to use his second uncle ect.. as a route into France rather than Iranian football.

That's not even remotely how international football works. Once you've played a competitive game for a nation, you're locked into representing only them (these days, used to be able to swap nations - hence why Ferenc Puskas played at world cups for both Hungary and Spain)
Reply 6
Snowflake Millennial :awesome:
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21

There are so many things inaccurate with this...

This is no doubt the type of person he's talking about. Probably doesn't even follow football, but don't let that get in the way of an opportunity to harm others.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
That's not even remotely how international football works. Once you've played a competitive game for a nation, you're locked into representing only them (these days, used to be able to swap nations - hence why Ferenc Puskas played at world cups for both Hungary and Spain)

I thought you still could, there was a German who switched to England 10-15 years ago i thought.

I'd assumed you were only locked into a cycle or two though if that's changed then it's all the more reason to contest as the UK (get Bale, Ramsey and MacTominey).
Reply 9
Original post by Rakas21
I thought you still could, there was a German who switched to England 10-15 years ago i thought.

I'd assumed you were only locked into a cycle or two though if that's changed then it's all the more reason to contest as the UK (get Bale, Ramsey and MacTominey).

Not to be a **** but you've made two posts and, of the 5 or 6 statements you've made, not one has been anything but insane and wildly inaccurate.

If you don't follow football I'm not sure what you're doing commenting on it other than to make discriminating remarks.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Not to be a **** but you've made two posts and, of the 5 or 6 statements you've made, not one has been anything but insane and wildly inaccurate.

If you don't follow football I'm not sure what you're doing commenting on it other than to make discriminating remarks.

I'm a weekly Match of the Day and International Cup fan rather than an avid obsessive, more a fan of the game than a team. Indeed, i much prefer tennis.

With that being said this is an open forum rather than a private sub-forum and therefore until an entrance exam has been created to deem me worthy, i will continue to make wildly insane and inaccurate comments however a quick check does show multiple players in the last decade alone (Zaha notably).

Not sure how my comments are discriminatory.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm a weekly Match of the Day and International Cup fan rather than an avid obsessive, more a fan of the game than a team. Indeed, i much prefer tennis.

With that being said this is an open forum rather than a private sub-forum and therefore until an entrance exam has been created to deem me worthy, i will continue to make wildly insane and inaccurate comments however a quick check does show multiple players in the last decade alone (Zaha notably).

Zaha didn't play a competitive game for England which is why he was able to switch national teams, he only appeared in friendlies. Probably the most well known example is Diego Costa of Spain who appeared in two friendlies for Brazil before switching to Spain.

As SLF says once you've appeared in a competitive fixture for a nation you cannot switch teams.

The German you're thinking of might be Maik Taylor (German, qualified for any UK team through his dad and chose Northern Ireland) or Owen Hargreaves (played in Germany, Canadian born, English and Welsh heritage).
Reply 12
Original post by Rakas21

Your comment about Iran was likely about their government (or rather the unelected monarchy), but was an insult directed at the country as a whole i.e. everything and everyone from it.

In which case it'd be like saying you don't know why David Beckham didn't retire earlier because he was representing a country of Thatcher and Blair.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Your comment about Iran was likely about their government (or rather the unelected monarchy), but was an insult directed at the country as a whole i.e. everything and everyone from it.

In which case it'd be like saying you don't know why David Beckham didn't retire earlier because he was representing a country of Thatcher and Blair.

Rakas is a right winger with a disturbingly laissez-faire attitude to eugenics and occasional western imperialism views. He was probably fine with Thatcher and Blair
Reply 14
Update: He was invited to the national team by Queiroz for the upcoming friendly, but he refused.

So now we wait until the qualifiers for him to change his mind.

Then we wait until the Asian Cup.

Then we kinda accept it...
In that case, Iran probably won't win the World Cup in Qatar.
Reply 16
Original post by Stalin
In that case, Iran probably won't win the World Cup in Qatar.

4 years is a long time, players suddenly appear, become a superstar or lose it. The concern is more next year's Asian Cup. A kid who can score that many goals against Asian teams is someone you want in that competition.

For the World Cup, he was a target man, not so much a goalscorer. I mean he had a chance or two, but with Ghoddos, Jahanbakhsh, Taremi etc. the goals are elsewhere. And this kid who looks like Ozil's secret son was able to deal with Pique & Ramos and Pepe all on his own, but the stereotypical fan just expects the striker to score the goals.
what a melt
Reply 18
Original post by Poch Out
what a melt

Well to be fair, the biggest thing he achieved the past couple of months was playing at a World Cup and getting 2 goals and 2 assists in 7 league games so far this season.

Yours is getting banned on a forum full of kids.
Original post by Rakas21

Match of the Day fan? I've heard it all now.

Pure noncery

Quick Reply

Latest