The Student Room Group

If you need any advice...feel free to ask me. I got 12A* in my GCSE.

This thread is for the year 10s

My GCSE results

English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Maths - 9
Biology-A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
German - A*
History - A*
D.T - A*
Geography - A*
Religious Studies - A*
IGCSE/Further Maths level 2 - A* with a distinction

Maths

To get a 9 (quickly learn all the theory- the easy part) and do a ton of past papers. Ask your school teacher if you can have some access to some of the 9-1 papers.

English

For English lang, it is practically down to you. Write a lot of creative writing essays and ensure that it is marked by one of your teachers (if they are bothered). You can dm me one of your creative writing/story essays if you want...and I can mark it for you.

But for poetry...type on the internet Charge of the light brigade (any poems etc) and then WORDPRESS...I repeat WORDPRESS.
(https://madameanglaise.wordpress.com...lord-tennyson/). You get various analyses that are a lot nearer to a level 9 analysis.A lot better than the CGP ones. Don't try to memories the poems (waste of time). Memories 5 specific quotes for each poem during the summer as well. Don't burn out during the summer and have fun while you can. Starting early is the best thing you can do. Since you are looking at my thread...it shows that you want to do well and get that level 9! That is a good thing and shows that you really care about your grades (the first step to get a level 9).

For english lit...try to find other school's revision guides and use that. Dm me if you want some. During the summer, try to read the 3 books at least 3 times (I know this can be a lot for many here). This can really help you have a full grasp on the plot of the story.

Good luck! Hope you get the level 9 in English and maths!!! If you want to ask any questions...feel free to ask

To those who worry about their GCSE grades

GCSE and A-levels mean nothing when you get into Uni. Grades are just the basics tbh. What makes you an interesting person is your work experiences etc. My favourite quote is “Life is like a piano; the white keys represent happiness and the black show sadness. But as you go through life’s journey, remember that the black keys also create music.”
Life is practically a set of musical notes. Everyone has identical notes. You are born with the starting note. You die with the last note. But what defines you is how you play the musical notes. With colour or with sadness and worry?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How did you get a 9 in GCSE Maths, please can i have a full step to step guide on how to study for the GCSE Maths exam next year. This is my brother's account who is in going to year 13. What textbooks did you use or didn't you use one? Was past papers your only revision for maths?
Reply 2
Clever way to show off your grades without trying to receive much hate! Why post it now when almost all GCSE students have finished their exams?
Do you have an exciting social life?
What do you gain by posting this?
Reply 5
Original post by angelinahx
Do you have an exciting social life?

Yh I do...one reason why I semi-failed my recent AS exams. I practically burnt out (work hard play hard is pretty hard to do).
Reply 6
Original post by The RAR
Clever way to show off your grades without trying to receive much hate! Why post it now when almost all GCSE students have finished their exams?

For the year 10 students...and since I am finished with my exams and feel a bit bored. This is to help you guys (not to show off since I can do that elsewhere tbh).
Reply 7
Original post by codecommand
What do you gain by posting this?

Nothing but I guess not being bored when waiting for someone to respond when you are talking on a different thread? Not everyone is selfish lol..."you don't always have to gain anything as there are still some altruists left in this world ".
Reply 8
Original post by CashBlack
How did you get a 9 in GCSE Maths, please can i have a full step to step guide on how to study for the GCSE Maths exam next year. This is my brother's account who is in going to year 13. What textbooks did you use or didn't you use one? Was past papers your only revision for maths?

To get a 9 (quikcily learn all the theory- the easy part) and do a ton of past papers. Ask your school teacher if you can have some access to some of the 9-1 papers.
Original post by great guy
Yh I do...one reason why I semi-failed my recent AS exams. I practically burnt out (work hard play hard is pretty hard to do).

Nope, I do it all the time and I'm predicted AAB.
What's the latest you've been out on a school night and what is your conceptual idea of an exciting social life?
what resources did you use to revise maths and english im in year 10 right now i got level 7 and level 4 respectively in my mocks im looking to get those up a bit
Reply 11
What's the latest you've been out on a school night and what is your conceptual idea of an exciting social life?

I guess parting all night? My idea of fun is doing activities such as camping (like DofE) with my friends. I barely play any games (haven't even touched fortnite yet)...just watch films so I practically have a lot of time to kill.
Reply 12

I don't want to sound arrogant but I am naturally gifted when it comes to memorizing/intelligence? I can memories things people will spend 3 hours looking at within an hour (semi-photographic memory I think?...if that exists).
Reply 13
Original post by tellizard
what resources did you use to revise maths and english im in year 10 right now i got level 7 and level 4 respectively in my mocks im looking to get those up a bit

Like I said "There should be a website online where you can buy past papers. I can email some of the past papers to you by dm (so private message me your email address). There is a website that I use called https://www.drfrostmaths.com/. It is a very very useful email. Get your brother to help you (if he is willing). To get a 9 (quikcily learn all the theory- the easy part) and do a ton of past papers. Ask your school teacher if you can have some access to some of the 9-1 papers."

To be good at maths...just do a ton of past papers...

Regarding english...

For English lang, it is practically down to you. Write a lot of creative writing essays and ensure that it is marked by one of your teachers (if they are bothered). You can dm me one of your creative writing/story essays if you want...and I can mark it for you. Also read this article..https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/nov/20/christmas-adverts-john-lewis . I love Charlie Brooker's sense of humor. If you can replicate his work into your own...guarantee a 9 in english.

Is poetry in english lit or lang? I forgot. But for poetry...type on the internet Charge of the light brigade (any poems etc) and then WORDPRESS...I repeat WORDPRESS.
(https://madameanglaise.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/an-analysis-of-the-context-of-the-charge-of-the-light-brigade-by-alfred-lord-tennyson/). You get various analyses that are a lot nearer to a level 9 analysis.

For english lit...try to find other school's revision guides and use that.

Good luck! Hope you get the level 9 in english and maths!!! :smile:
My GCSE results

English lit - 9
English lang - 9
Maths - 9
Biology-A*
Chemistry- A*
Physics- A*
German - A*
History - A*
D.T - A*
Geography - A*
Religious Studies - A*
IGCSE/Further Maths level 2 - A* with a distinction

Welcome to the club! I am afraid you are at the bottom of the club at the moment however with that kind of intelligence i expect it won't take you very long to make your way to the top. Good Luck!!!

Spoiler

Reply 15
Original post by Stephan0
Welcome to the club! I am afraid you are at the bottom of the club at the moment however with that kind of intelligence i expect it won't take you very long to make your way to the top. Good Luck!!!

Spoiler

Umm what? I am so confused in why you sent me this lol
Reply 16
To everyone here...if you manage to find a silver bullet for every subject (a document or website which consequently puts you above the rest)...you will get that A*. The websites that says "use this website to get a level 9 or A*" frustrates me...those websites are practically scams. At the end it is down to you as a person...not how long you sit on your desk to revise...but what YOU will do and how YOU will spend your time wisely.
Umm what? I am so confused in why you sent me this lol

To prove that so far you have done barely anything with your life
Reply 18
Original post by Stephan0
To prove that so far you have done barely anything with your life

I already know that :smile: ...still got a long road ahead of me...but I am not really an active member on student room. Just here to help younger students when I can (guide them so they don't regret and repeat the same mistakes I made)
I already know that :smile: ...still got a long road ahead of me...but I am not really an active member on student room. Just here to help younger students when I can (guide them so they don't regret and repeat the same mistakes I made)

what kind of photographic memory do you have?

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest