The Student Room Group

Medicine at University of Ostrava

Hi,

Has anyone applied to study Medicine here at Ostrava or have any advice or tips with regards to the entrance exams?

Is this a good University to apply to in Czech? reason I applied is because of the low tuition fees of 8500 EUR per year. I can not find much information with regards to the course and uni online.

Any feedback from current students? or anyone who know a little bit more about studying Medicine at this institution would be great!!

thank you
Why not in the uk? Much better graduate prospects and job security after.
Original post by AlanAnonymouss
Why not in the uk? Much better graduate prospects and job security after.

I am a graduate in Biomedical Science and unfortunately GEM is really competitive. Having seen a friend with all the right qualifications and work experience fail to secure a place in the UK after 2 consecutive years has made me decide to study Medicine abroad instead.
Original post by Toxicated
I am a graduate in Biomedical Science and unfortunately GEM is really competitive. Having seen a friend with all the right qualifications and work experience fail to secure a place in the UK after 2 consecutive years has made me decide to study Medicine abroad instead.

Perhaps you could try undergraduate medicine?
Perhaps you could try undergraduate medicine?

It's an option but I really want to start studying Medicine this coming Sept or around this time. Studying abroad for me isn't an issue and I know a few friends who are currently studying abroad and they enjoy it. The degrees are still recognised by the GMC so requires no further tests that I know of so I don't think competition to secure a position back in the UK will be a huge issue. I could be wrong but either way, competition is still fierce in the UK
Original post by Toxicated
It's an option but I really want to start studying Medicine this coming Sept or around this time. Studying abroad for me isn't an issue and I know a few friends who are currently studying abroad and they enjoy it. The degrees are still recognised by the GMC so requires no further tests that I know of so I don't think competition to secure a position back in the UK will be a huge issue. I could be wrong but either way, competition is still fierce in the UK

Quite a risky time with Brexit as no one knows how it will affect medical practice in the Uk…
Hey guys
I haven't found much info about this uni and whether facilities are good etc... If anyone is applying or is at the uni studying medicine could you please let me know what you think about the uni? Would be much appreciated !!
Quite a risky time with Brexit as no one knows how it will affect medical practice in the Uk…

There's such a shortage of doctors and even nurses that it shouldn't be a problem.
The government even have programmes in Zimbabwe and other african countries where they employ qualified nurses by tempting them with residency in the UK.
The UK has a cap on how many medicine places a uni can have. And it cost the government around a 1/4 of a million to train each one. If you're a uk national with a medical degree from a reputable european uni . They'll still snap you up even if you have to pass a 'conversion' test it should be a breeze if you were trained well.
Original post by Username_deleted
There's such a shortage of doctors and even nurses that it shouldn't be a problem.
The government even have programmes in Zimbabwe and other african countries where they employ qualified nurses by tempting them with residency in the UK.
The UK has a cap on how many medicine places a uni can have. And it cost the government around a 1/4 of a million to train each one. If you're a uk national with a medical degree from a reputable european uni . They'll still snap you up even if you have to pass a 'conversion' test it should be a breeze if you were trained well.

The UK is too expensive for medicine, and it isnt even guaranteed you would earn salary in your home country to balance out the cost. Medicine is medicine, you can be a doctor with almost every medical degree.
Original post by Kalabamboo
Hey guys
I haven't found much info about this uni and whether facilities are good etc... If anyone is applying or is at the uni studying medicine could you please let me know what you think about the uni? Would be much appreciated !!

many apply but only 30 places available

it's quite a nice place
exam was last week in london ...how about you?

Have you applied there ?

My cousin applied there and is awaiting results ..did you get your results?
Avoid Ostrava
It’s a miserable place and very corrupt
I was going to teach there but decided not to when I was told to fail a certain amount of students even though they would have passed !!!
Wow, you did the right thing. I does happened and some wicked tutor will play along that. You are very brave and courageous to resigned. Fail certain group of people, religion, race or gender. Very low thinking of them,what would they achieved out of it?
Corruption rife
Hey man! did your cousin get in? I got my results
It's the newest University in the Czech Republic. The tuition fee is low..it's near the Beskydy mountains. Yes, I'm considering applying...
Hmm....well...the tuition fee there is low. It's the newest University of Medicine in the Czech Republic. Yes, Ostrava is a former mining town...not much to see there...and hardly anyone speaks English. I visited last year. Prague anyone? The 2nd LF or maybe Plzen?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending