The Student Room Group

What are the entry requirements for Theology?

:smile:^^^:smile:
Reply 2

Ok thank you. I was hoping maybe because its one of less popular subjects the requirements might only be AAA :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Stephan0
Ok thank you. I was hoping maybe because its one of less popular subjects the requirements might only be AAA :frown:

Well this is Cambridge, not The Other Place... :wink:

Oxford's Theology course is AAA I believe; it also has the option of being combined with Philosophy or Oriental Studies (which would tend towards a more comparative religion style course), which may be of interest.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a degree subject because you think it's less popular and you can get into a "better" university for it though.
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
Well this is Cambridge, not The Other Place... :wink:

True however i have heard that the acceptance rate for Theology is 48% so i probably still have a good chance of getting in just got to try really hard to get that A*AA :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Oxford's Theology course is AAA I believe; it also has the option of being combined with Philosophy or Oriental Studies (which would tend towards a more comparative religion style course), which may be of interest.

I wouldn't recommend choosing a degree subject because you think it's less popular and you can get into a "better" university for it though.

Yeah i know but its just always been a dream of mine to get into Oxbridge plus i actually really enjoy Theology and Philosophy.
Reply 7
True however i have heard that the acceptance rate for Theology is 48% so i probably still have a good chance of getting in just got to try really hard to get that A*AA :wink:

To be pedantic that's the typical offer rate not acceptance rate...

Don't apply for a course because it has a more generous offer rate otherwise you'll find yourself either regretting your course choice after 3 years of study or in the 52% side of the equation.
Reply 8
To be pedantic that's the typical offer rate not acceptance rate...

Don't apply for a course because it has a more generous offer rate otherwise you'll find yourself either regretting your course choice after 3 years of study or in the 52% side of the equation.

Yes i do understand that however i do thoroughly enjoy Theology due to the philosophical side of it.
Reply 9
Yes i do understand that however i do thoroughly enjoy Theology due to the philosophical side of it.

Why not do straight Philosophy then?
Reply 10
Why not do straight Philosophy then?

I just always assumed it was harder to get in with Philosophy i have know idea why :dontknow:
I just always assumed it was harder to get in with Philosophy i have know idea why :dontknow:

Well yes and no...it's a smaller course so more affected by yearly changes in cohort strengths than a very large one like NatSci, Maths, Medicine etc. While it has slightly lower than "average" success rate for Cambridge on the whole, it's not such a great gap as with say, Architecture.

Ultimately you should apply for a subject, not a university.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah i know but its just always been a dream of mine to get into Oxbridge plus i actually really enjoy Theology and Philosophy.

Ok, so its your dream to get into Cambridge but how much do you actually know about Cambridge?
Do you know how demanding and intense their courses are? How are you imagining a life at Cambridge would be like in your dream?
‘Because it’s my dream’ is rarely a good reason to choose a university, and choosing a course based on admission statistics, rather than for your genuine passion for the subject, is even worse.
It can be a real struggle to survive, let alone enjoy it, for 3 years at Cambridge unless you’re on the course you’re genuinely passionate about.
You need to wake up from your dream and open your eyes at an important time to choose a university and a course to ‘live’ in it for 3 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending