The Student Room Group

Am i racist?

Recently i have felt like Multiculturalism and Diversity has been unfairly pushed onto Britain and other European countries. This is because fairly successful countries are not pushed into Multiculturalism e.g China/ Japan, and the notion of diversity being our strength seems to be indoctrination since no one has actually said why Diversity is a good thing/strength yet it's been strongly advertised and pushed to be.
I also am able to sympathise with White British people who say that they feel that Britain isn't Britain anymore, even though they fail to acknowledge that Britain is still 87% white.
The ironic thing is that i'm not even White British.
who cares, whys everyone get so pissy abut everything, has it ruined your life. No? get over you little ***** and get on with your life
Original post by BitMel
Recently i have felt like Multiculturalism and Diversity has been unfairly pushed onto Britain and other European countries. This is because fairly successful countries are not pushed into Multiculturalism e.g China/ Japan, and the notion of diversity being our strength seems to be indoctrination since no one has actually said why Diversity is a good thing/strength yet it's been strongly advertised and pushed to be.
I also am able to sympathise with White British people who say that they feel that Britain isn't Britain anymore, even though they fail to acknowledge that Britain is still 87% white.

Racist? No. But a opinion like that isn’t as accepted in n society. At least you have the guts to state a opinion like that. 😁
Reply 3
Unfairly? Ouch. Remember the good ol days of colonisation when Europeans pushed their culture on everyone else? Well a little of the reverse is always acceptable I think.
Reply 4
Original post by ProRoadman
Racist? No. But a opinion like that isn’t as accepted in n society. At least you have the guts to state a opinion like that. 😁

lol it just confuses me
There's clearly a difference between ethnicity and culture. If you discriminate people based on their ethnic background then you are probably racist. If it's the culture that you have a problem with then it's not racism, but if you generalise it to all immigrants then it's probably xenophobia...
Personally I like diversity. It keeps things interesting knowing people from different backgrounds, faiths, races and sexualities because people have so many stories to tell and life experience and wisdom to impart. However I feel like there's not enough integration between races which I think is the real problem. I come from Halifax and when I was growing up all the asian kids would hang out together and a lot of the time the older asian boys would gang up on white kids and bully them and sometimes get physical. It's important to create a community but I'm not a fan of groups of people taking over entire streets and areas of a city to the point where it's unsafe for white people or other minorities (czech kids and gay people got bullied and harassed so much in asian neighbourhoods when I was a kid) to walk around or go out on a night out or whatever. Just look at those muslim patrols! I'm pro diversity, I think it makes the world a much more interesting place and I'd wanted to be treated well in other countries so I try to treat immigrants with that same respect too, but you've got to give the respect BACK and actually make an effort to integrate into society.
The fact that you're asking if you're racist, probably means that you aren't. The world is getting more interconnected. That's a good thing but I have concern that we're letting so many people in, whilst we have a housing shortage and a national health service that seems to be open to anyone (why aren't we making people who just got here pay for using it?). There seems to be an agenda to get rid of white culture. I don't know why. Immigration never used to be such an issue.
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous
Personally I like diversity. It keeps things interesting knowing people from different backgrounds, faiths, races and sexualities because people have so many stories to tell and life experience and wisdom to impart. However I feel like there's not enough integration between races which I think is the real problem. I come from Halifax and when I was growing up all the asian kids would hang out together and a lot of the time the older asian boys would gang up on white kids and bully them and sometimes get physical. It's important to create a community but I'm not a fan of groups of people taking over entire streets and areas of a city to the point where it's unsafe for white people or other minorities (czech kids and gay people got bullied and harassed so much in asian neighbourhoods when I was a kid) to walk around or go out on a night out or whatever. Just look at those muslim patrols! I'm pro diversity, I think it makes the world a much more interesting place and I'd wanted to be treated well in other countries so I try to treat immigrants with that same respect too, but you've got to give the respect BACK and actually make an effort to integrate into society.

lol i never said i dont like diversity, it's just a question of how much and more importantly weighing the costs with the benefits. And i know what you mean in my school it's very racially segregated.
No, not racist.
But you do hold some controversial opinions that most UK politicians will snarl, huff and puff over.

A lot of business people extol the wonders of multiculturalism when they really mean globalisation and international capitalism- which has made them rich.
Countries like china and japan are large exporting nations, which are quite self contained and socially prize tradition.
London has a centuries old reputation for business success, welcoming new comers, social vibrancy and being the place to be where "the streets are paved with gold".
That's mostly why economic migrants, entrepreneurs and students want to come to London.

I am white british and support multiculturalism for many reasons.
But I don't feel pressured to do so.
I'm not naive enough to forget that most politicians & businesses have their own agenda and globalisation has disadvantages as well as benefits.

Original post by BitMel
The more people associate with people that aren't like them, the more they're inclined to associate with people that are.
i totally agree with you
Reply 12
The multicultural countries are doing well, their economies are growing at an exponential rate. China and Japan are bad examples, China is essential a communist country ruled by one party where the people there are no freedom or liberty. Japan on the other hand is doing well but they have a aging population where the death rate is now greater than the birth rate. Japan also are now currently opening up their borders to make it easier for foreigners to work their as their is a demand for low skilled works as well as high skilled workers. Japan is having a existential crisis. These 2 countries are in fact not doing well unless you like communism and no freedom.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending