The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to choose

Hi, I’m a sixth former who is having trouble with my university application. I’m planning to study medicine in uk. While going through UCAS i found that there are different areas in medicine. I wanna become a surgeon one day but i dont know what is the right undergraduate course for that. Does anyone know what is the right course/courses that i should apply to? Any advice is much appreciated 🙂
(edited 5 years ago)
Well I's assume itd be medicine ud apply for...
Reply 2
Original post by Volibear
Well which medical schools are you applying to?

Haven’t really thought of it yet. I wanted to get the course sorted out so i can see which universities offer what i wanna do
Original post by stp2002
Hi, I’m a sixth former who is having trouble with my university application. I’m planning to study medicine in uk. While going through UCAS i found that there are different areas in medicine. I wanna become a surgeon one day but i dont know what is the right undergraduate course for that. Does anyone know what is the right course/courses that i should apply to? Any advice is much appreciated 🙂

If you're serious about becoming a surgeon, then that's awesome and good luck, you have a long journey ahead of you! You're in the right place too! Lot's of people on this forum are all wanting the same thing.
A good place to start is forum posts here about becoming a doctor.
If you want to do medicine, look at the universities that offer it, see what they want and start working through to make sure you meet their choices!!
As a guide - to be a surgeon, you'll need:
- To apply by picking four different schools! It's very competitive so pick schools that look for things you did well on.
- Good solid GCSE's - aim for all A's/A*
- A levels (AAA or more). Make sure you work hard to get good grades in science based subjects - biology, chemistry and physics or maths are usually preferred.
- UKCAT exam (most medical schools use this exam, others use the BMAT) - there's lots of resources to help you here - free ones such as medicportal or cheekymedic are good. Medify is also good but be careful as you have to pay for most courses.
- Work experience - to see if you want to do it and to show the schools that you know it's a career you've looked into. They like things such as volunteering in care homes or shadowing a doctor in a hospital/GP.
- A good personal statement (although not all universities look at it). You want to show that youre interested and understand its the right choice for you.

Medical schools in the UK (there are about 30) include: Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Swansea, Cardiff, UCL, KCL, ICL, St Georges... the list goes on!

Good luck and I wish you well!
Reply 4
Original post by ParaToDoc
If you're serious about becoming a surgeon, then that's awesome and good luck, you have a long journey ahead of you! You're in the right place too! Lot's of people on this forum are all wanting the same thing.
A good place to start is forum posts here about becoming a doctor.
If you want to do medicine, look at the universities that offer it, see what they want and start working through to make sure you meet their choices!!
As a guide - to be a surgeon, you'll need:
- To apply by picking four different schools! It's very competitive so pick schools that look for things you did well on.
- Good solid GCSE's - aim for all A's/A*
- A levels (AAA or more). Make sure you work hard to get good grades in science based subjects - biology, chemistry and physics or maths are usually preferred.
- UKCAT exam (most medical schools use this exam, others use the BMAT) - there's lots of resources to help you here - free ones such as medicportal or cheekymedic are good. Medify is also good but be careful as you have to pay for most courses.
- Work experience - to see if you want to do it and to show the schools that you know it's a career you've looked into. They like things such as volunteering in care homes or shadowing a doctor in a hospital/GP.
- A good personal statement (although not all universities look at it). You want to show that youre interested and understand its the right choice for you.

Medical schools in the UK (there are about 30) include: Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Swansea, Cardiff, UCL, KCL, ICL, St Georges... the list goes on!

Good luck and I wish you well!

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending