The Student Room Group

Trump tells Saudi to increase oil output by 2mb/d

It's quite amusing how he's complaining about the high price of oil when
a] It is partly thanks to American sanctions that the oil industry in Venezuela has collapsed
B] His Iranophobic policies are one of the, if not the main reason, for jittery oil markets.

This man is beyond a showe of a doubt the most economically halfwitted President to every occupy the WH. And tats including Raegan when he started loosing his marbles.

As a side note - is he not aware that high oil prices are rather good for Americas own oil industry?

US President Donald Trump has urged Saudi Arabia to sharply increase its oil production to combat the rising cost of fuel.
Mr Trump tweeted that he had asked Saudi ruler King Salman to raise oil output by up to two million barrels a day.
"Prices to [sic] high! He has agreed!" the president added.
Mr Trump said the move was needed due to "turmoil and dysfunction in Iran and Venezuela".
Oil prices rose last week, partly due to US plans to reimpose sanctions on Iran, a major oil producer.
The Opec oil producers' group agreed to increase output, as did Russia, but this failed to reassure markets.

The Saudi Press Agency confirmed that President Trump and King Salman had spoken by phone, giving few details. It said they had discussed the need to "preserve the stability of the oil market".
The statement did not confirm that Saudi Arabia had agreed to the two million barrels a day figure.

Saudi Arabia is the world's biggest exporter of oil and produced about 10 million barrels a day in May. It is reported to have between 1.5 million and two million barrels a day of spare capacity - but experts told The Wall Street Journal it might not be keen to meet the president's request.
"Saudi Arabia does not really like going beyond 11 million barrels a day and has no intention of expanding its current production capacity. It is expensive," a Saudi official told the paper.
Mr Trump has repeatedly criticised Opec even though US ally Saudi Arabia is a core member.
On 20 April he tweeted that oil prices were "artificially very high", saying this was "no good" and "will not be accepted!"

Iran, another Opec member, has accused Mr Trump of trying to politicise the group and has blamed Riyadh for doing his bidding.
On Saturday, Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said the US was trying to drive a wedge between Iranians and their government using "economic pressure".
"Six US presidents before him tried this and had to give up," Mr Khamenei cautioned on his website.
The value of Iran's currency, the rial, has tumbled since Washington backed out of the Iran nuclear deal in May.
Earlier this week, thousands of traders at Tehran's Grand Bazaar marched in protest against rising prices and the plummeting value of the rial. It was the biggest protest the city has seen since 2012.

Scroll to see replies

I hope Saudi doesn’t cut production just to annoy him further. He’s such an idiot!
Can we stop calling Saudi Arabia "Saudi", please? It's an adjective. It would be like calling North America "North" or saying "I'm going on vacation to British next week" instead of British Columbia. It doesn't make sense.
oil is a precious limited resource, and states often poor have every right to extract maximum benefit from it.

before OPEC, Western Energy companies had their own cartel (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Line_Agreement)and paid very low royalties and shifted most of the value added production to create jobs back home
Reply 4
Original post by Dandaman1
Can we stop calling Saudi Arabia "Saudi", please? It's an adjective. It would be like calling North America "North" or saying "I'm going on vacation to British next week" instead of British Columbia. It doesn't make sense.

I'm afraid not, no.

not really, its more like calling Northern Ireland, the north. or the United States of America, the states or stateside

Everyone knows what you mean
Is it to serve a purpose beyond messing with Iran? seem's to be their main motive just now seeing as trying to goad Russia has lost momentum (They'll still likely claim Russia is 'ultimately responsible and accountable' for Iran's actions)
Given the U.K is a net importer of oil, lower prices would possibly benefit us. However I don’t think the Saudis will take much notice of Mr Trump.
Original post by hannah00
not really, its more like calling Northern Ireland, the north. or the United States of America, the states or stateside

Everyone knows what you mean

But those are all grammatically correct. "Saudi" is an adjective, however. It's not a place. Again, it's the equivalent of saying "I'm visiting Northern tomorrow..." Northern where? Northern Ireland, French Polynesia, American Samoa, Saudi Arabia.

People might now what you mean, but it's dumb and annoying.
(edited 5 years ago)
But those are all grammatically correct. "Saudi" is an adjective, however. It's not a place. Again, it's the equivalent of saying "I'm visiting Northern tomorrow..." Northern where? Northern Ireland, French Polynesia, American Samoa, Saudi Arabia.

People might now what you mean, but it's dumb and annoying.

Saying your going north or to the north is perfectly acceptable language. No one would be confused by thinking wonder if you mean samoa or tamoa

Well there is no other place called Saudi, so people will not get confused. In a title including trump, pretty obvious which saudi OP is referring to.
If only there was a better alternative to oil which wouldn't run out as fast as oil is now. Something renewable that hopefully in the near future wouldn't affect the earth so much. It sounds like a pipe dream I know, but I do hope that I or a different person can do something about it without having the current oil industry crash but rather swap it around with the country's people's consent. I feel that that would be a better move to make. It's a bit ambitious :biggrin:
Original post by hannah00
Saying your going north or to the north is perfectly acceptable language. No one would be confused by thinking wonder if you mean samoa or tamoa

Well there is no other place called Saudi, so people will not get confused. In a title including trump, pretty obvious which saudi OP is referring to.

Look, how do you still not get this? The Saudi in Saudi Arabia is an adjective describing part of the Arabian peninsula (which is a place). "Saudi" isn't a place, just like "British" isn't a place.

It's not that people won't know what you mean, it's that it is literally incorrect to say it that way. It makes no sense grammatically.
Reply 12
Look, how do you still not get this? The Saudi in Saudi Arabia is an adjective describing part of the Arabian peninsula (which is a place). "Saudi" isn't a place, just like "British" isn't a place.

It's not that people won't know what you mean, it's that it is literally incorrect to say it that way. It makes no sense grammatically.

erm no... 'Saudi' is a place. Grammatically incorrect would be calling it 'arabia' because arabia is the adjective. Noone refers to 'Great Britain' as 'Great'. But it's called 'Britain'.

End of.

I've been reading student room forums for years but never created an account. Of all the things i've seen here, your arguement is the only thing ive felt compelled to create an account for. That alone sums it up i think.
You say it's partly down to sanctions on Venezuela, but it's so partly as to be irrelevant, we're talking about half a percent of global output. That's the total output reduction, what we cannot know is what's caused that, sure sanctions will have reduced it but that may only be worth 100,000bpd while the incompetence of the Venezuelan government and their domestic issues might be causing most of the reduction
It's like saying you're flying on "British".
Original post by iebai
erm no... 'Saudi' is a place. Grammatically incorrect would be calling it 'arabia' because arabia is the adjective. Noone refers to 'Great Britain' as 'Great'. But it's called 'Britain'.

End of.

I've been reading student room forums for years but never created an account. Of all the things i've seen here, your arguement is the only thing ive felt compelled to create an account for. That alone sums it up i think.

You've got it the wrong way round, buddy. Arabia isn't the adjective, just like Britain isn't the adjective.

Great Britain, Northern Ireland, French Polynesia, Saudi Arabia... Seeing a pattern there?
Reply 16
You've got it the wrong way round, buddy. Arabia isn't the adjective, just like Britain isn't the adjective.

Great Britain, Northern Ireland, French Polynesia, Saudi Arabia... Seeing a pattern there?

Nope. No pattern. Regardless of how you put it, 'Saudi' makes literal grammatical sense to everyone.

I can't even begin to imagine why it would annoy you. Like seriously come on.
Original post by iebai
Nope. No pattern. Regardless of how you put it, 'Saudi' makes literal grammatical sense to everyone.

I can't even begin to imagine why it would annoy you. Like seriously come on.

BECAUSE IT'S WRONG. It is not grammatically correct. Widespread ignorance is not an excuse, nor is it a reason to abstain from correcting an irritating, obvious mistake people keep making.
Reply 18
Original post by ShantelleLuis
If only there was a better alternative to oil which wouldn't run out as fast as oil is now. Something renewable that hopefully in the near future wouldn't affect the earth so much. It sounds like a pipe dream I know, but I do hope that I or a different person can do something about it without having the current oil industry crash but rather swap it around with the country's people's consent. I feel that that would be a better move to make. It's a bit ambitious :biggrin:

Alas oil is used for so many things other than simply powering cars, planes and ships the idea that the world could go 'oil free' is simply quite impossible. From medicine to bags etc.

You seem to be focusing on the wrong bit here...
Original post by Jammy Duel
You say it's partly down to sanctions on Venezuela, but it's so partly as to be irrelevant, we're talking about half a percent of global output. That's the total output reduction, what we cannot know is what's caused that, sure sanctions will have reduced it but that may only be worth 100,000bpd while the incompetence of the Venezuelan government and their domestic issues might be causing most of the reduction

No I said US sanctions on Venezuelans oil industry is part of the reason for its collapse - which it is. This in turn effects prices. Indeed, their err "unique" political situation is having a greater impact but as I said targeted sanctions will always have 3rd order effects.
Original post by Napp
Alas oil is used for so many things other than simply powering cars, planes and ships the idea that the world could go 'oil free' is simply quite impossible. From medicine to bags etc.

Oh yeah.. I didn't actually think about that. It seems that we rely on it a lot more than we think :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending