The Student Room Group

How do you know that your religion is right above all others?

I am not attacking anyone or saying religion is bs, but I’m curious. How can you know that your religion is the right one? Also, if God sends people to eternal damnation for not worshiping it, surely that means it feels human emotions like pride and vanity which are sinful anyways? At the end of the day you can’t help what your gut tells you to believe so why would it send people to hell for something they can’t control (bc if they worshiped God they’d be lying uno, and it doesn’t hurt anyone).

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Enough with all the bs people who try to argue on religion.

Religion is based on belief. It can also be part of life experiences, culture etc. NOT everything in life is based on straight data and facts.

You like Bmw over Audi disregarding the factual data. You choose to live your life the way you do which I think is stupid. Yet I don't judge you.

Same with religion. You choose your religion or atheism based on what you feel, what experiences you have, how you brought up etc. Same with numerous parameters of life and choices that we do every day disregarding data and what others think. Yet for some reason, it's only when it comes to religion that we expect humans to behave like computers that only process data. This is ridiculous stupidity coming from non religious people.
Reply 2
Original post by verier

Religion is based on belief. It can also be part of life experiences, culture etc. NOT everything in life is based on straight data and facts.

You like Bmw over Audi disregarding the factual data. You choose to live your life the way you do which I think is stupid. Yet I don't judge you.

Same with religion. You choose your religion or atheism based on what you feel, what experiences you have, how you brought up etc. Same with numerous parameters of life and choices that we do every day disregarding data and what others think. Yet for some reason, it's only when it comes to religion that we expect humans to behave like computers that only process data. This is ridiculous stupidity coming from non religious people.

Yeah I guessed it was what your ‘gut’ tells you; I only questioned it about religion as opposed to anything else due to what some religious scriptures and people believe about non-believers...
Not trynna start arguments 🤷🏽*♀️
https://www.gotquestions.org/correct-religion.html

my own reason is that when you look at all religions (I think), they're all alike in the sense that you are merely a servant/slave to your god/s who doesn't love you and you have to appease them otherwise they'll destroy you i.e, Greek gods. and in order to get to heaven/paradise, you need to be a good person and do good things. and that your good deeds can outweigh your bad deeds.

that is what makes Christianity stand out to all other religions because we're not servants/slaves to God but rather his children. therefore he loves us also, yes we get punished when we do something wrong (sin) but that is for our good, he has rules for us not for no reason but because it's our guide to a good life. like a parent would punish their child to make them them a better person, just like God punishes us to make us better people when we willfully disobey him.

also, the way to salvation is also unique to other religions, salvation is a free gift from God paid by Jesus Christ, all we need to do is to believe on Jesus Christ to accept that gift and we are saved forever. our good works don't get us to heaven unlike other religions. and we cannot lose our salvation unlike other religions.

God sending people to hell for not worshipping him is sin and the wages of sin is death, this doesn't mean God has pride or vanity since that is sin and the God of the Bible cannot sin. He says himself in Exodus that he is a 'Jealous' God which is why he doesn't want us worshipping other gods, jealousy is not a sin as jealousy is being protective/'jealous' of what you already have. like I can be jealous if I feel my mother is giving motherly attention to someone who isn't their child. it's the same as how God will be jealous if his children go and worship another god. I think you got jealousy mixed up with envy, envy is when you want something that isn't yours, that is sin.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am not attacking anyone or saying religion is bs, but I’m curious. How can you know that your religion is the right one? Also, if God sends people to eternal damnation for not worshiping it, surely that means it feels human emotions like pride and vanity which are sinful anyways? At the end of the day you can’t help what your gut tells you to believe so why would it send people to hell for something they can’t control (bc if they worshiped God they’d be lying uno, and it doesn’t hurt anyone).

You don't

You do so, because your parents indoctrinated you since birth to believe in that certain religion
Reply 5

I don't know who told you this rubbish, but it is not simple black and white as you think it is. Tbh, most often, people are miseducated about religion, and more often than not as I hear it, about Islam. No human is able to decide if you go to hell or not, muslims believe that is for god alone to deicde. Reason being god is all-knowing, god is able to see through the hearts of humans. So if a muslim says 'that person is going to hell', just do not listen to them because they do not know what they are saying - maybe even sometimes, they say it because of vanity, jealousy or hatred. As far as I'm aware, in Islam, it is your character and personality that matters more than anything else. Believe it or not, Islam therefore encourages its followers to adopt the best character and manner of life they can - but for most people, it just floats through their head and they forget about it the next day and go back to their old ways which is always the most backwards it can be.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by verier

Expressing a preference for a car model is very different from asserting that an all powerful God exists.

Before you accuse non-religious people of ridiculous stupidity, you may want to consider the stupidity of the argument you have put forth. Then you'll start to understand why so many people in developed countries are ditching religion.
Original post by JaydorIV
https://www.gotquestions.org/correct-religion.html

my own reason is that when you look at all religions (I think), they're all alike in the sense that you are merely a servant/slave to your god/s who doesn't love you and you have to appease them otherwise they'll destroy you i.e, Greek gods. and in order to get to heaven/paradise, you need to be a good person and do good things. and that your good deeds can outweigh your bad deeds.

that is what makes Christianity stand out to all other religions because we're not servants/slaves to God but rather his children. therefore he loves us also, yes we get punished when we do something wrong (sin) but that is for our good, he has rules for us not for no reason but because it's our guide to a good life. like a parent would punish their child to make them them a better person, just like God punishes us to make us better people when we willfully disobey him.

also, the way to salvation is also unique to other religions, salvation is a free gift from God paid by Jesus Christ, all we need to do is to believe on Jesus Christ to accept that gift and we are saved forever. our good works don't get us to heaven unlike other religions. and we cannot lose our salvation unlike other religions.

lastly the God of the Bible does not send people to hell for simply not worshipping him, they go to hell for their sins which they pay for in Hell. no, it doesn't mean God has pride or vanity since that is sin and the God of the Bible cannot sin. He says himself in Exodus that he is a 'Jealous' God which is why he doesn't want us worshipping other gods, jealousy is not a sin as jealousy is being protective/'jealous' of what you already have. like I can be jealous if I feel my mother is giving motherly attention to someone who isn't their child. it's the same as how God will be jealous if his children go and worship another god. I think you got jealousy mixed up with envy, envy is when you want something that isn't yours, that is sin.

As a Christain myself, I think that this won't change others minds. You can't just tell a muslim that what they and their family have believed in is fake/not true. If someone told you the same, you would not believe them at all. There's no reason to invalidate Islam or Judaism just because it isn't your religion. Unless, you have knowledge about the other religions as well as you're own, you can't just invaildate it without knowledge about the beliefs and concept of those religions.
That's why I put my emphasis on faith not religion.
My mother came from an ultra traditionalist catholic family, my father is a militant atheist- with far less tolerance for religion than Richard Dawkins has.

My beliefs are based on faith along with my opinions.
The fact that I have chosen to accept particular religious beliefs, does not mean that I am automatically right or that my beliefs are any better than anyone else's.
Whilst I believe my choices and my religion are right for me, I have never thought that my beliefs are the only ones in existence or that they should be imposed on others.

There's a lot of difference between fundamentalist religion, medieval religion and modern religion.
The spirit, culture, customs and core beliefs are totally different.

Fundamentalist religion obsesses over all the scriptural verses that focus on sin, violent punishment, hate and demand obedience to a list of ancient thou shall nots.
Medieval religion is mostly fundamentalist but also permits a little leeway from what it written in scripture based on the customs of the medieval era.

Modern religion has accepted a lot of the freedom of the 1960's era and marks a departure from historic hardline rules, punishments and requirements.
It is far removed from fundamentalist sin and punishment- in favour of liberal tolerant values, love and forgiveness.
Not much time for the "one true way", "obey or go to hell" and hate for all who aren't interested.

My maternal grandmother is an 80 year old religious fanatic.
She hates the modern world and spews constant venom about how anybody who does not agree with her is the devil's follower- usually child or spouse.
She doesn't use any violence, never tries to convert anyone and I've never heard her raise her voice.
But she gives awful earache to anyone unwise enough to visit her home and try talking to her.

Original post by ProRoadman
As a Christain myself, I think that this won't change others minds. You can't just tell a muslim that what they and their family have believed in is fake/not true. If someone told you the same, you would not believe them at all. There's no reason to invalidate Islam or Judaism just because it isn't your religion. Unless, you have knowledge about the other religions as well as you're own, you can't just invaildate it without knowledge about the beliefs and concept of those religions.

the difference is that the the God of the Bible is real while the others aren't and they know that since God has revealed himself to everyone so they all know he exists but choose to suppress the truth.

but i see your point😉
I think it is very personal. I do not believe my religion is right above others, but my religion is right for me and makes me happy. Whenever I'm feeling lonely, down, or misunderstood, my faith gives me the strength to just keep pushing forwards and also to try my hardest to remain a good and pious person. Everyone's spiritual journey is different and everyone practices the same religion differently to an extent.

Another reason why I chose my religion (I've moved between religions a lot), is because it is very accepting of current affairs and matters, and can adapt with the times (my faith accepts homosexuality for example which many do not openly promote). In addition, my religion openly states that you can leave and enter the religion as you please and it's all about what is in your heart. There is no punishment for disbelievers.

My religion also emphasises on how everyone's spiritual journey is different but the main 'laws' so to speak are essentially built upon the classic '7 sins' of Pride, Envy, Gluttony, Lust, Anger, Greed and Sloth. But I believe that helps you become a better person.

All in all, I chose my religion because it's accepting and it makes me feel fulfilled and at peace when I visit this House of Worship. At the same time, I am conscious of the fact that everyone's religion or lack there of, is what brings them fulfillment and is personal. So I do not believe my religion is above others and it explicitly states that we shouldn't think ours is better than others and should not attempt to convert other people into following this belief.
the difference is that the the God of the Bible is real while the others aren't and they know that since God has revealed himself to everyone so they all know he exists but choose to suppress the truth.

but i see your point😉

To me personally, Islam, Judasim and Christianity worship the same God. They all focus on the old testment and elements of the new testment is present in Islam and Judaism. Its just how they were interpreted that made the religions different. This is what has split the relgions apart and continue to split within the religions, based on peoples own interpretations. You can't just declare your religion as the truth when others can do the exact same for centuries. IMO no religion is exact truth.They are all close but Its the people themselves who are the deciding factors. If you live a life that is moral and follow a good lifetyle whatever religion you are then you are gauranteed to go to heaven.
These are all good points, thanks everyone! RE isn’t taught very well at my school and looking online there are so many clashing views...
Reply 13
Original post by Sulfolobus
Expressing a preference for a car model is very different from asserting that an all powerful God exists.

Before you accuse non-religious people of ridiculous stupidity, you may want to consider the stupidity of the argument you have put forth. Then you'll start to understand why so many people in developed countries are ditching religion.

I think your inability to properly comprehend is paramount.

I only posted the simplest possible example. I expanded that numerous choices in life, like the way you live your life are not based on statistics or science.

Have a read again and make an effort to comprehend. You miserably fail to understand what religion is. When we are talking about religion, we use the term 'believe' not 'know'. The way we perceive world and life and the opinion we form about issues that are not scientific (like why world is like that) are expressed as religion.

To show how ridiculous stupid your argument is, that the Bwm example is completely different, I will use another one that will hopefully help you comprehend.

You have people who 'believe' that communism is the best way to live and form society. There's tons of 'scientific' and factual data that 'proves' them wrong. Yet, they still believe that. It's not based on science or data. It's a preference that matches the way they see the world. Yet idiot atheists don't attack them as they do to religious people. They don't say that communism is like believing in unicorns.

Can you see the stupidity now? I am sure you cannot, but hey, I gave it a go.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ProRoadman
To me personally, Islam, Judasim and Christianity worship the same God. They all focus on the old testment and elements of the new testment is present in Islam and Judaism. Its just how they were interpreted that made the religions different. This is what has split the relgions apart and continue to split within the religions, based on peoples own interpretations. You can't just declare your religion as the truth when others can do the exact same for centuries. IMO no religion is exact truth.They are all close but Its the people themselves who are the deciding factors. If you live a life that is moral and follow a good lifetyle whatever religion you are then you are gauranteed to go to heaven.

I declare it to be true.

In my opinion though, I don't see Islam, Judaism and Christianity worshipping the same God because in Christianity, God is one being who exists as three persons and Jesus is God, but that's not the case with Islam and Judaism as their god is one being, one person and they don't acknowledge Jesus Christ to be God.
Reply 15
RE isn’t taught very well at my school.

That's because it is GCSE lol
I declare it to be true.

In my opinion though, I don't see Islam, Judaism and Christianity worshipping the same God because in Christianity, God is one being who exists as three persons and Jesus is God, but that's not the case with Islam and Judaism as their god is one being, one person and they don't acknowledge Jesus Christ to be God.

That's very similar to Hinduism actually - in terms of God being 'one being' but can exist in, Brahma (creator), Vishnu (Preserver, and Shiva (Destroyer) and also God exists within you.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
You don't
You do so, because your parents indoctrinated you since birth to believe in that certain religion
OR, like me, you choose to believe in the deity of that religion
Original post by ShantelleLuis
OR, like me, you choose to believe in the deity of that religion

What do you mean?
I declare it to be true.

You're free to believe in Christianity. I believe that Christianity is the truth. Islam and Judaism still have elements of Christianity present within their religions. Its just the interpretations that are the differnce. Christinity believes in the trinity while Islam and Judaism don't. That's not to say that they are false relgions. Its just how their holy figures interpreted their relationship with God as well as their intepretations of God's word

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending