The Student Room Group

Available careers for specific subjects

What careers are available if i take Maths,Physics and Chemistry for my A'level?
Original post by Obil
What careers are available if i take Maths,Physics and Chemistry for my A'level?

If you are looking for a career that might utilise those subjects, you'll probably need either a degree or an apprenticeship. With those subjects, most areas of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) are open to you for further study, as well as some other areas such as business/finance.

Do you have an idea of whether you want to go to university, or take an apprenticeship or other work-based learning route?
Reply 2
I don't have any idea about those. Just finished my O'level and was confused about what career i should follow. I wanted to study software engineering but am not sure if it will pay that much in the future. I need a job where i can be successful and will earn me a lot of money i work hard.
Original post by Obil
I don't have any idea about those. Just finished my O'level and was confused about what career i should follow. I wanted to study software engineering but am not sure if it will pay that much in the future. I need a job where i can be successful and will earn me a lot of money i work hard.

If you want to study software engineering then go for it. It's hard to predict the future but software engineering should be pretty good.
Original post by Obil

Software Engineering is one of many potentially well-paid STEM careers and is likely to continue that way for a long time to come given the seemingly unending and rapid growth in the tech sector, and the demand for competent, skilled professionals.

It's important to realise that nobody can ever be assured or guaranteed a high salary in any profession. No matter what you end up doing, you need to work hard to progress and make yourself valuable enough to employers so that they'll be willing to offer you the kind of salary you're after, and that you can keep your options open when looking for new jobs. You'll need to constantly adapt and improve throughout your career in order to remain in-demand.

People at the top of the profession can earn £70k-£80k outside of London; although people who stagnate and don't progress are more likely to end up 'stuck' in a mid-level job in a lower-paying company on £35k-£40k, which is still very respectable and significantly higher than the national average. It's a similar story in nearly all other other professions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Okay thanks a lot. And i also had some more questions aswell. I didn't take any computer related subjects in neither my O'lvl nor my A'lvl , so will it be a problem if i want to study software engineering in good universities? Also can you give me more career options to choose with (Maths, Physics and Chemistry) in my A'level? Thanks a lot for your help!
Original post by Obil
Okay thanks a lot. And i also had some more questions aswell. I didn't take any computer related subjects in neither my O'lvl nor my A'lvl , so will it be a problem if i want to study software engineering in good universities? Also can you give me more career options to choose with (Maths, Physics and Chemistry) in my A'level? Thanks a lot for your help!

There aren't any Universities that I'm aware of who require any previous experience for either Computer Science, Software Engineering or any other related computing degree so that's not a problem. More than half of students starting Software Engineering or CompSci degrees have never written any code before beginning their first year at Uni, so all the courses are designed to teach everything as a brand new subject. (Same with databases, web dev, and other topics)

The main requirement for 'top 20' universities offering Computer Science and other Computing subjects is A-Level maths because their CompSci degree courses are more mathematical in nature anyway. (e.g. discrete maths, logic and computing theory). Most of the rest are more technical and vocational.

As for other career choices, you can open up pretty much any Computing-related degree/career with those A-levels. e.g.

Networking / Infrastructure Engineering

Hardware Engineering (cross-over to robotics/electronics)

Web Design / development

Game Design / development

Cybersecurity and Forensic Computing

Data Scientist

Systems Analysis and Business Analysis

Project Management

Having Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A-level gives you plenty of options in traditional engineering disciplines - e.g. Aerospace, Mechanical, Automotive, Civil Engineering, etc.

A-Level Maths also lends itself to degrees in Economics leading to financial careers (e.g. Investment banking, Accountancy, Risk analyst).
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Thanks a lot! Now im a lot clear about everything and i'll be forever grateful to you!
Hi.I am Fahima Islam from Dhaka Bangladesh.This year I am going to Engineering university.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending