The Student Room Group

Indian mob lynches man over suspected cow slaughter while police watch

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/india-police-cow-mob-lynching-photo-viral-uttar-pradesh-muslim-a8411691.html

Three police officers have been suspended in India after an image was widely shared on social media showing them at the scene of an apparent lynching by a vigilante cow protection mob.

The image showed a group of men dragging the victim along the ground while flanked by the three police officers. The man, Qasim, identified as a Muslim resident of Madhpura Mustafabad village in Uttar Pradesh, later died of his injuries.

Those sharing the image online said the police had been involved in the lynching themselves, but a spokesman for the police said they had separated the victim from the mob and ordered he be carried to their police car.

Cow living alone on island after miraculous escape from slaughterhouse
Nonetheless, the local police superintendent said the officers had shown “insensitivity towards the injured man”. A tweet from UP Police said: “We apologise for the insensitive manner in which the victim was handled.

“The picture seems to have been taken when the police had reached the spot to shift the injured to a police vehicle - there was no ambulance available.”

The chief spokesperson for the state police, Rahul Srivastava, said the police “did not support lynching” and described the images shared on social media as “misleading”.
“The picture shows that man is being dragged and the policemen are doing nothing about it, but that's not true - the mob just wanted to continue attacking the man and our men were trying desperately to keep them away,” he said.

READ MORE

Indian media reported that Qasim and another Muslim villager were severely beaten and dragged to a temple on suspicion of cow slaughter. Hindus in India see cows as sacred, and there are regularly reports from across the country of non-Hindus being attacked for keeping, trading or eating cattle.

According to the Hindustan Times, other images and videos shot by villagers showed members of the mob asking the two victims about cows.

Qasim was rushed to hospital by the police but died. A postmortem found his liver had been ruptured during the beating and he sustained at least 10 distinct injuries, police said. The other man, Shamiuddin, remains in critical condition in hospital.

Police denied the men were attacked over suspected cow slaughter, telling the BBC instead that the cause was a “minor tiff” over a road rage instead involving a motorcycle.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lovely...
Original post by Napp
Lovely...

The worst thing is that it is a common occurrence now too
Reply 3
So when someone says it wasn't about religion, shove this link up their place where the sun doesn't shine
I think the Donald should have added India to his list of s**t hole countries
Reply 5
I blame the BJP and M*di (not writing his name) for making violent Hindu nationalism mainstream and acceptable. This is insane. It’s just savage.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
I think the Donald should have added India to his list of s**t hole countries

USA is rich but has plenty of 3rd world looking ****holes itself
Original post by Ser Robin
USA is rich but has plenty of 3rd world looking ****holes itself

But nowhere where the police watch lynchings or without flushing toilets
I love my country (!)
Original post by RickHendricks
I love my country (!)

Are you indian?
Original post by Green Fields
Are you indian?

Well British Citizen and born in the UK, but my grand parents are Indian
Original post by Daybd
So when someone says it wasn't about religion, shove this link up their place where the sun doesn't shine

There's technically nothing theological about it. There's nowhere in any Indian classical text that says Indians should protect cows. It's one of those ethnocultural/ethnoreligious things in India.

Original post by s.a.u
I blame the BJP and M*di (not writing his name) for making violent Hindu nationalism mainstream and acceptable. This is insane. It’s just savage.

As a British-born British-educated Ethnic-Indian young person, I fully support Modi and his Hindu Nationalism, purely due to the left-wing's support and tolerance for Ethnic-Muslims. In both India and the West.

Modi isn't far enough in my opinion. He hasn't gone to war as Europeans and Americans have, he hasn't banned any clothing as Canadians have, he hasn't cared about Muslim immigration as Australians have, etc...

I want a true leader that cares about India. Not one ruled by Old Money secularists clinging on to colonial morality from the British that educated them into the middle class. Remember, I'm progressive and I'm British.
(edited 5 years ago)
double post
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Underscore__
But nowhere where the police watch lynchings or without flushing toilets

Isn't that Pakistan in a nutshell? At least half of India isn't communal and is clean.
damn india you scary.

Occasionally I think about going to India largely but its not worth the risk. You can experience a similar environment and feeling from going to east asia(thailand,vietnam)
Original post by hannah00
damn india you scary.

Occasionally I think about going to India largely but its not worth the risk. You can experience a similar environment and feeling from going to east asia(thailand,vietnam)

I went do india it was very nice but i was only there 10 days
Shouldn't laugh but it is pretty funny
That's horrible.

Absolute #£&@hole, India is. Full of hypocrites.
What that muslim guy expected when he attacked cows?

“The picture shows that man is being dragged and the policemen are doing nothing about it, but that's not true - the mob just wanted to continue attacking the man and our men were trying desperately to keep them away,” he said.
Yeah, sure. One is like "nothing to see here", another one is reading facebook on mobile, another one just a passerbuy
It's like the Wild West over there.

Quick Reply