The Student Room Group

Studying IGCSE

I'm a mature student and have completed my first year of foundation degree I'm hoping to go into teaching. I don't have my maths or science gcse.I've been looking online and have came across IGCSE.my tutor has said that gcse biology would get me on the qts course but I'm bit nervous 😲 what if I find the IGCSE difficult and struggle . I want to ideally start now so I can study of over summer and take exam in January has anyone done the biology IGCSE or thinking of doing it or give general advice as I'm not sure what to do.
Original post by Nagz15
I'm a mature student and have completed my first year of foundation degree I'm hoping to go into teaching. I don't have my maths or science gcse.I've been looking online and have came across IGCSE.my tutor has said that gcse biology would get me on the qts course but I'm bit nervous 😲 what if I find the IGCSE difficult and struggle . I want to ideally start now so I can study of over summer and take exam in January has anyone done the biology IGCSE or thinking of doing it or give general advice as I'm not sure what to do.

Are you in the UK . Is there any reason you have to do IGCSE?
Can you do any of the English exam boards like AQA as they will have plenty of revision resources?
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Are you in the UK . Is there any reason you have to do IGCSE?
Can you do any of the English exam boards like AQA as they will have plenty of revision resources?

Hi yes I'm in the UK due to childcare issues I'm not able to go college to do the biology gcse so my tutor suggested the IGCSE I just want to know if anyone has done the IGCSE or thinking bout it .any advise would help
I have a question, What is the difference between GCSE and IGCSE?
Original post by Nagz15
Hi yes I'm in the UK due to childcare issues I'm not able to go college to do the biology gcse so my tutor suggested the IGCSE I just want to know if anyone has done the IGCSE or thinking bout it .any advise would help

IGCSE os the equivalent normally done by international students hence the I.

I dont know why your tutor is suggesting that over a normal version, perhaps you should ask?

I would either teach myself.- [cheapest way]
Do a distance learning course like cloud learn or open college.

https://cloudlearn.co.uk/Course/Online-GCSE-Biology-Course-9-1/95

PC use the IGCSE version- no idea why.
https://www.ukopencollege.co.uk/igcse-biology-course-p-1765.html

Maths GCSE tends to be more important.
Hi, I am hoping to go into teaching and I did the iGCSE in Biology (result out in August). It wasn’t easy but if you spend time going through each chapter and make sure you understand it before you revise it, you should be fine. I don’t know my result yet but hopefully I passed it.
First print out the specifications.The specification contains all the points and topics which you will need to achieve an A*.The examiners cant give u any questions outside of the specification so u better worship it.You should read the textbook at least 2 or 3 times then you use the specification and try explaining that topic to yourself,making sure u know all the topics like the back of ur hand.if u have trouble explaining on that topic then read the topic in the textbook and quiz urself again.Do this until u can explain each and every topic with ease and then go onto the past papers.Do the past papers from 2009 to 2016 and do 2017 and 2018 as self mocks.Highlight the questions you lose marks in and study that topic over and over again.Make notes out of the Mark schemes.Learn all the definitions,functions,characteristics,Learn each and every process and if u need any more help then message me and by the way which exam board are u taking?CIE or Edexcel?
Reply 7
Original post by SavageQueen
First print out the specifications.The specification contains all the points and topics which you will need to achieve an A*.The examiners cant give u any questions outside of the specification so u better worship it.You should read the textbook at least 2 or 3 times then you use the specification and try explaining that topic to yourself,making sure u know all the topics like the back of ur hand.if u have trouble explaining on that topic then read the topic in the textbook and quiz urself again.Do this until u can explain each and every topic with ease and then go onto the past papers.Do the past papers from 2009 to 2016 and do 2017 and 2018 as self mocks.Highlight the questions you lose marks in and study that topic over and over again.Make notes out of the Mark schemes.Learn all the definitions,functions,characteristics,Learn each and every process and if u need any more help then message me and by the way which exam board are u taking?CIE or Edexcel?

Thank u savagequeen for the info it's edexcel I'm just really nervous as I deffo need at least a c in biology to continue with my studies
Reply 8
Original post by Muserock
Hi, I am hoping to go into teaching and I did the iGCSE in Biology (result out in August). It wasn’t easy but if you spend time going through each chapter and make sure you understand it before you revise it, you should be fine. I don’t know my result yet but hopefully I passed it.

Hi muserock thanks for replying I'm sure you'll do well I'm in the same situation as you I started a foundation degree last year my tutor is encouraging most students to go down the qts route so everyone need must have English maths and science gcse I only have English I'm hoping to try for the online biology with iCloud learning but I'm nervous as it's pretty expensive and I'm worried that I may struggle
Original post by Nagz15
Thank u savagequeen for the info it's edexcel I'm just really nervous as I deffo need at least a c in biology to continue with my studies

Well if u follow my method then there is a chance u might get a A* or A.My sister followed that method and she got an A* even though her igcse biology exam was really hard.I think u will do well just be positive.there is a YouTube channel called science with hazel.She gives perfect answers to the long answered questions that are worth a lot of marks in the exams and she has a video all on the topics in igcse which Is for edexcel.For me , it helped a lot and i think for u it will help too.i have many more advices and i know which topics are most important .would u want them Too?
Reply 10
Original post by PrincessDiaries
Well if u follow my method then there is a chance u might get a A* or A.My sister followed that method and she got an A* even though her igcse biology exam was really hard.I think u will do well just be positive.there is a YouTube channel called science with hazel.She gives perfect answers to the long answered questions that are worth a lot of marks in the exams and she has a video all on the topics in igcse which Is for edexcel.For me , it helped a lot and i think for u it will help too.i have many more advices and i know which topics are most important .would u want them Too?

Hi dear i will be strating a university course and i need to have my IGCSE before starting . Could you advise me plz do I nees to self study or enroll in one of the onmine centres and if self learning wich materials do i need ? I would realy appreciate your help as i am completely lost now and i dont know where to start

Quick Reply

Latest