The Student Room Group

infrared spectroscopy as chemistry

in IR spectroscopy I'm confused as to how you work out the identity of the functional group of the peak when the wavenumbers overlap. obviously the alcohol oh peak has a distinct shape, but what if it's something else? is it just the minimum point of the peaks wavenumber that we should use to see if it falls within the value, as this could surely fall within two fictional groups wavenumber ranges? many thanks
bump
Original post by jonjoshelvey21
in IR spectroscopy I'm confused as to how you work out the identity of the functional group of the peak when the wavenumbers overlap. obviously the alcohol oh peak has a distinct shape, but what if it's something else? is it just the minimum point of the peaks wavenumber that we should use to see if it falls within the value, as this could surely fall within two fictional groups wavenumber ranges? many thanks

You can't. That's not the idea of IR.
Original post by charco
You can't. That's not the idea of IR.

what? what on earth are you on about ?

I'm asking that because on the days sheet the wavenumbers over lap between certain types of bonds, so if you find a peak that qualifies under two sets of bonds how do you know which it is?

I'm asking that because on the days sheet the wavenumbers over lap between certain types of bonds, so if you find a peak that qualifies under two sets of bonds how do you know which it is?

*data

Firstly, there's no need to be so rude about it - this poster was just trying to help you out. He's right. You can't get an exact idea of the functional groups present in a molecule purely from an IR spectra. It would often be accompanied with NMR spectra, elemental analysis, mass spectra and reactivity information (both in a lab and in exams).

From what I've seen, you won't be faced with hugely complicated molecules with similar wavelength number peaks. Just be confident with the basic functional groups - i.e. -COOH is very broad, -OH is broad, etc...

Hope I helped.
firstly, don't care if I sound rude. The poster wasn't just "trying to help" and was providing no useful explanation or info whatsoever. it's not very hard to work out what I'm ask I'm asking m8.

and no it didn't help you bell end.

Loooool, I don't know who you think you are bigman. If you're struggling with such a basic AS chemistry concept, good luck in the future x

By the way he answered perfectly with sufficient information you uneducated idiot.
Original post by Username1502
Loooool, I don't know who you think you are bigman. If you're struggling with such a basic AS chemistry concept, good luck in the future x

By the way he answered perfectly with sufficient information you uneducated idiot.

looooool, attained an A in my chemistry mock, predicted A*, despite teaching myself half the course... unlucky 😂😂

The trick is to identify as many bonds as possible, so for example if unable to differentiate between a peak that could either be an alcohol functional group or aldehyde carbonyl bond; look to other peaks, if (still an example) find a carboxylic acid functional group can then use process of elimination to determine which group is present in the combined peak (In this example would be alcohol as aldehydes and carboxylic acid functional groups can't overlap)
Hope this helps
looooool, attained an A in my chemistry mock, predicted A*, despite teaching myself half the course... unlucky 😂😂

fam, it's AS chemistry - AS chem compared to A2 chem is piss easy. I've just finished A2 chem (also predicted an A*) and looooool at you if you think how you do in a *****y little irrelevant "mock" is any indication that you'll get an A* at A2. You need a reality check and you need to sort out your ugly, complacent, arrogant, cocky and ignorant attitude. We are people trying to help you and you're being so dismissive? lol ok x

And I'm laughing. Good luck getting into Medicine with that disgusting attitude, and with such a weak grasp on IR spectra (the easiest AS concept) - wait till you A2 NMR spectroscopy. I wouldn't want you as a Doctor. Mate I've already got my Medicine offers this year I don't need you to tell me your AS grades like I care for such a prick like you.
(edited 5 years ago)
fam, it's AS chemistry - AS chem compared to A2 chem is piss easy. I've just finished A2 chem (also predicted an A*) and looooool at you if you think how you do in a *****y little irrelevant "mock" is any indication that you'll get an A* at A2. You need a reality check and you need to sort out your ugly, complacent, arrogant, cocky and ignorant attitude. We are people trying to help you and you're being so dismissive? lol ok x

And I'm laughing. Good luck getting into Medicine with that disgusting attitude, and with such a weak grasp on IR spectra (the easiest AS concept) - wait till you A2 NMR spectroscopy. I wouldn't want you as a Doctor. Mate I've already got my Medicine offers this year I don't need you to tell me your AS grades like I care for such a prick like you.

hahahaha thanks for providing my entertainment for this evening. never laughed so much in all my life.

and btw I'm yet to drop a mark on any practice questions on the topic of ir spectroscopy and find it really quite straight forward. I was only asking in case a certain scenario such as the one stated arose in the exam. btw I don't think I'd want you as my patient 😂

and it's just the internet, no need to get emotional
(edited 5 years ago)
hahahaha thanks for providing my entertainment for this evening. never laughed so much in all my life.

and btw I'm yet to drop a mark on any practice questions on the topic of ir spectroscopy and find it really quite straight forward. I was only asking in case a certain scenario such as the one stated arose in the exam. btw I don't think I'd want you as my patient 😂

and it's just the internet, no need to get emotional

Wow I'm so impressed- getting full marks on a few questions. Someone get this dude a medal. He's clearly far more superior in Chemistry than any of us other posters who are trying to help and give information.

I told you that in the exam they'd be unlikely to give you an ambiguous IR spectra unless they give you further information about its reactivity or other spectral information. The poster who you attacked said, quite rightly, that IR spectra cannot distinguish between the similar functional groups. Yet you got angry at him for giving you clear and sufficient information. I further told you that you would be given other information. Medicine is all about learning from those doctors and peers around you and older than you - if you can't do that now, I'd worry for your future career.

Don't try and stunt at me with your IR knowledge getting "full marks" on questions. If I were you, what I would consider getting full marks on would be your attitude. You'd score a 0 on that.
Wow I'm so impressed- getting full marks on a few questions. Someone get this dude a medal. He's clearly far more superior in Chemistry than any of us other posters who are trying to help and give information.

I told you that in the exam they'd be unlikely to give you an ambiguous IR spectra unless they give you further information about its reactivity or other spectral information. The poster who you attacked said, quite rightly, that IR spectra cannot distinguish between the similar functional groups. Yet you got angry at him for giving you clear and sufficient information. I further told you that you would be given other information. Medicine is all about learning from those doctors and peers around you and older than you - if you can't do that now, I'd worry for your future career.

Don't try and stunt at me with your IR knowledge getting "full marks" on questions. If I were you, what I would consider getting full marks on would be your attitude. You'd score a 0 on that.

good God. you clearly haven't got anything better to do than to sit around all day writing paragraphs on the student room about ir spectroscopy...

Stop getting angry over nothing, get a grip and get a life "dude".
good God. you clearly haven't got anything better to do than to sit around all day writing paragraphs on the student room about ir spectroscopy...

Stop getting angry over nothing, get a grip and get a life "dude".

move yourself, you lame tramp. kmt

Quick Reply

Latest