The Student Room Group

London pride parade

I am attending my first pride parade however the reason why I had not visited before was because I dislike the parades, and still do. The purpose of this sort of topic is that should I be forced to connect myself with the LGBT+ because of my personal preferences?

I understand the purpose of parade is to enable people who are in the LGBT+ community to feel its okay and to spread equality to those sort of people. The parade I believe is also made to express that the choices made by those in the LGBT+ is fine to show, and should not be a reason for them to be discriminated than anyone else because of THAT comfortable life style.

However, from my perspective the event does not exactly execute that goal clearly, or at least went away from that. While growing up I look to media, as well as my class mates who both have different views which I find have some incredibility in it. My classmates were okay with anyone's lifestyles (mostly) yet, in a discussion in my RE class - the topic was the parade. They found they can be friends with someone classified in the community although suggested some elements of it strengthens the stereotype of mockery, femininity, in all individuals in the LGBT+;would prevent befriending them. Bearing in mind at that time only one announced they're gay while there were implications some others were.

The media from what I've seen, is just cringe-worthy for myself because I cannot quite connect or at least relate with the 'love is love' from how they use that with their parade. However I find it is very supportive - and to some extend over sympathetic?

To that I am ashamed to be known for certain stereotypes which I blame partly on the parade and I feel something else can be done. However I am not ashamed of my lifestyle - I would like to imagine myself my own flame, I personally feel I got here by myself and I don't need any sympathy from people who find out my personal preferences. Yet, I understand the parade and LGBT+ has helped people who doesn't have that opportunity because there are countries where it is illegal to be gay, lesbian, transsexual, etc.

Honestly, I could be stubborn, obnoxious, stupid, or anything really. However I just don't like sympathy and people would generally tell me I have only one choice. I don't class myself as 'gay' because I associate that with the LGBT+ yet I've only found myself attracted to the same sexuality and I'm not disgusted or upset by that although I don't want to use a tag that already limits my decisions.

This year I'm attending the gay pride because I had never been to one and I feel if I continue to rebel against the 'charity' - I wont have to opportunity to understand. I would like to hear from people who may share or argue with my opinion while, I want to hear from people who volunteer for LGBT+, or generally anyone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 12haywardJ
I am attending my first pride parade however the reason why I had not visited before was because I dislike the parades, and still do. The purpose of this sort of topic is that should I be forced to connect myself with the LGBT+ because of my personal preferences?

I understand the purpose of parade is to enable people who are in the LGBT+ community to feel its okay and to spread equality to those sort of people. The parade I believe is also made to express that the choices made by those in the LGBT+ is fine to show, and should not be a reason for them to be discriminated than anyone else because of THAT comfortable life style.

However, from my perspective the event does not exactly execute that goal clearly, or at least went away from that. While growing up I look to media, as well as my class mates who both have different views which I find have some incredibility in it. My classmates were okay with anyone's lifestyles (mostly) yet, in a discussion in my RE class - the topic was the parade. They found they can be friends with someone classified in the community although suggested some elements of it strengthens the stereotype of mockery, femininity, in all individuals in the LGBT+;would prevent befriending them. Bearing in mind at that time only one announced they're gay while there were implications some others were.

The media from what I've seen, is just cringe-worthy for myself because I cannot quite connect or at least relate with the 'love is love' from how they use that with their parade. However I find it is very supportive - and to some extend over sympathetic?

To that I am ashamed to be known for certain stereotypes which I blame partly on the parade and I feel something else can be done. However I am not ashamed of my lifestyle - I would like to imagine myself my own flame, I personally feel I got here by myself and I don't need any sympathy from people who find out my personal preferences. Yet, I understand the parade and LGBT+ has helped people who doesn't have that opportunity because there are countries where it is illegal to be gay, lesbian, transsexual, etc.

Honestly, I could be stubborn, obnoxious, stupid, or anything really. However I just don't like sympathy and people would generally tell me I have only one choice. I don't class myself as 'gay' because I associate that with the LGBT+ yet I've only found myself attracted to men and I'm not disgusted or upset by that although I don't want to use a tag that already limits my decisions.

This year I'm attending the gay pride because I had never been to one and I feel if I continue to rebel against the 'charity' - I wont have to opportunity to understand.

I would like to hear from people who may share or argue with how opinion while, I want to hear from people who volunteer for LGBT+, or generally anyone.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I'd definitely recommend learning more about the history of Pride and the parades. They gave a platform for issues like the AIDs crisis and LGBT+ homelessness etc and the discussions that it brought to them helped to facilitate wider understanding and change. For me, that's what they're all about
Reply 2
Original post by chelseadagg3r
I can understand where you're coming from, but I'd definitely recommend learning more about the history of Pride and the parades. They gave a platform for issues like the AIDs crisis and LGBT+ homelessness etc and the discussions that it brought to them helped to facilitate wider understanding and change. For me, that's what they're all about

I might try researching more about LGBT+ homelessness because I don't really hear much about it and to be honest, I completely forgot about that.
I might try researching more about LGBT+ homelessness because I don't really hear much about it and to be honest, I completely forgot about that.

This gives quite a lot of good information :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNA6Of7j7g
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
This gives quite a lot of good information :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNA6Of7j7g

Thank you. I have just finished watching the video, still unsure about the LGBT sort of charity, however it is nice to see it helping one individual even though I feel that it hadn't helped me.
I don't class myself as 'gay' ... yet I've only found myself attracted to the same sexuality
So...gay?
Reply 6
Original post by Chucke1992
So...gay?

Complicating, I don't address myself that for three reasons which is that there is a possibility I could find a women and than change the 'sexuality identification' which to me is a waste of time. While the other reason is because I don't want to address myself as that because I don't want to be slummed into the LGBT+ group which I've already expressed. I also find labelling your interest is more limiting.
Complicating, I don't address myself that for three reasons which is that there is a possibility I could find a women and than change the 'sexuality identification' which to me is a waste of time. While the other reason is because I don't want to address myself as that because I don't want to be slummed into the LGBT+ group which I've already expressed. I also find labelling your interest is more limiting.

So in the end it's the whim and not biological thing.
I've been thinking, imagine that there was a parallel universe that the majority of the world were a non-straight orientation of some sort and the minority was straight. If there was a parade of straight people would you view it the same way? I'm interested to know what people thinks.
So...gay?
I guess they could be pan or bi?
Reply 9
So in the end it's the whim and not biological thing.

Not exactly as I can’t speak behalf of other people except myself and I believe they both play a role. Biological might be the main factor however the whim could be influenced by others around you.
Original post by ShantelleLuis
I've been thinking, imagine that there was a parallel universe that the majority of the world were a non-straight orientation of some sort and the minority was straight. If there was a parade of straight people would you view it the same way? I'm interested to know what people thinks.I guess they could be pan or bi?

I’ll likely to do so, or at least I hope to see it the same way because we all have lives, and we should live it like we normally would do.
I’ll likely to do so, or at least I hope to see it the same way because we all have lives, and we should live it like we normally would do.
Agreed!
Original post by Johnny English
I can see the day fast approaching when hairy arsed coarse brickies arrange an uncouth White british straight male day in protest to such utter garbage .

What a load of crap .

I don’t know how that relates to the topic I spoke about?
What exactly is the point in these parades/marches? I am trying to be harsh in anyway I am just asking.
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
What exactly is the point in these parades/marches? I am trying to be harsh in anyway I am just asking.

It’s one way the LGBT community try to gain equality however I don’t believe it executes that very well. In honesty I’m not a fan of it - I dislike it. I had an argument with someone who is openly gay and tried to persuade me to be more like him and others in the parade. While I just want to avoid all of that nonsense.
(edited 5 years ago)
It’s one way the LGBT community try to gain equality however I don’t believe it executes that very well. In honesty I’m not a fan of it - I dislike it. I had an argument with someone who is openly gay and tried to persuade me to be more like him and others in the parade. While I just want to avoid all of that nonsense.

I am not a fan either. I just don't see the need. To me, it seems like people go out of their way to shove their sexuality down peoples throat.
Original post by JustSomeRandomer
I am not a fan either. I just don't see the need. To me, it seems like people go out of their way to shove their sexuality down peoples throat.

Despite my interest for same sex, I don’t really like watching other gay couples kiss. I bet it goes same for straight individuals staring at straight couples kissing. Though I believe pride is changing because they’ve now included races as part of the parade. I believe it’s more becoming acceptance of who you’re than the individuals sexuality however I bet the procedure for the event is more confused than ever with where this general direction is going as people celebrate the pride parade for the wrong reason.

I hate the idealisation of rainbows because i don’t know why but how the media sort of picks up some stereotypes and stretches it and makes overall people attending them to act silly - which we all should be mature enough. I see it as more of a negative representation.
Despite my interest for same sex, I don’t really like watching other gay couples kiss. I bet it goes same for straight individuals staring at straight couples kissing. Though I believe pride is changing because they’ve now included races as part of the parade. I believe it’s more becoming acceptance of who you’re than the individuals sexuality however I bet the procedure for the event is more confused than ever with where this general direction is going as people celebrate the pride parade for the wrong reason.

I hate the idealisation of rainbows because i don’t know why but how the media sort of picks up some stereotypes and stretches it and makes overall people attending them to act silly - which we all should be mature enough. I see it as more of a negative representation.

I agree. As a straight person even watching couples mouth fck each other kind of annoys me.
Despite my interest for same sex, I don’t really like watching other gay couples kiss.

From my experience of pride marches it goes far further than that, i don't have a problem with public kissing but public fellatio is a little much and i was in no way prepared for the level of sexual harassment and assault.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending