The Student Room Group

When do I say which college I want to go to?

I've been told that if you're not sure, don't make up your mind until after taster day. So here I am, going to Queen Mary's College's taster day today, and Peter Symond's on Friday. But through all the information they've given me, they're acting like I've already sold my soul to them. There's no information about when to email admissions saying "Hey, I don't actually want to come here..." They're taking the photo for my student ID today, as if I'm going to QMC in September!

Any college students (or wiser secondary school students) able to help me out? When do I let one college down?
Original post by Starra
I've been told that if you're not sure, don't make up your mind until after taster day. So here I am, going to Queen Mary's College's taster day today, and Peter Symond's on Friday. But through all the information they've given me, they're acting like I've already sold my soul to them. There's no information about when to email admissions saying "Hey, I don't actually want to come here..." They're taking the photo for my student ID today, as if I'm going to QMC in September!

Any college students (or wiser secondary school students) able to help me out? When do I let one college down?

I'm assuming when you say college you mean year 12 not uni. basically I applied to 2 colleges and then just didn't go to the other at the start of the year and it was all fine, just don't go to enrolment
Reply 2
Okay but I think that'd annoy them a bit haha. I asked today at taster day and they said email them between now and enrolment letting them know you don't want to go there.
I'd say message them at least a week before you're due to start. That way they can offer the space to someone on their waiting list ASAP so they don't miss out on the start of the course. :smile:
Original post by Starra

All the colleges take photo for id for the taster day, they don't mention that because they want you to come, but do it before the proper enrollment which is usually after results day so do it before then so someone else could still be given a chance for the subjects you're doing.

So ideally do it as soon as possible and anytime before results day if your grades aren't a concern and definitely by enrollment.
Original post by Starra

I guess it's best to inform them now because they've started to take ID pictures. Choose which college your comfortable with and email/call them in about your decision. Or you might want to wait until results day ?!
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for your input. I think I'll wait until the second college's taster day on Friday, and then decide then. I do have a rough idea of which I'll pick now, but I just want to be 100% sure!

Quick Reply

Latest