The Student Room Group

How do I get released from my insurance choice to go into clearing on results day?

If only there are better choices present in clearing through the search tool.
Original post by cmonb123
If only there are better choices present in clearing through the search tool.

You d have to call up the university to get released.
It takes time (hours can matter in clearing and the universities won't be in a rush to release you) so ideally you want to get released beforehand.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
You d have to call up the university to get released.
It takes time (hours can matter in clearing and the universities won't be in a rush to release you) so ideally you want to get released beforehand.

Yeah I understand but what if a top university like Kings is in clearing rather than say my insurance which is a BBB offer.
Reply 3
Will I know which courses and universities in clearing if I use the search tool EVEN though I have got an insurance offer or do I have to be released into clearing fully??
Will I know which courses and universities in clearing if I use the search tool EVEN though I have got an insurance offer or do I have to be released into clearing fully??

You can use the search without being in clearing. What's your firm?
Reply 5
You can use the search without being in clearing. What's your firm?

Ah okay thanks for the reassurance.

I really want to go to my firm, it's only ABB and it's St George's for biomedical science. I reckon they would be in clearing if their medicine courses are?
Ah okay thanks for the reassurance.

I really want to go to my firm, it's only ABB and it's St George's for biomedical science. I reckon they would be in clearing if their medicine courses are?

There's no guarantees but it's possible
Reply 7
There's no guarantees but it's possible

So I just call up the university and ask them if they can release me but beforehand, I will use the search tool? How long does it take to release?
So I just call up the university and ask them if they can release me but beforehand, I will use the search tool? How long does it take to release?

I believe the system has changed slightly- so now you contact the uni before hand and ask them to release you directly into clearing on results day. On results day, obviously they can also release you- but admissions staff are understandably busy so it can take them 12-24 hours to get around to processing this. As clearing is often run on a first come first serve basis, any delay, even of a few hours, could cause you to miss out on courses.

I believe you can use the search tool, but most unis won't even talk to you until you have your clearing number, so you can't get a new offer prior to being released.
Reply 9
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I believe the system has changed slightly- so now you contact the uni before hand and ask them to release you directly into clearing on results day. On results day, obviously they can also release you- but admissions staff are understandably busy so it can take them 12-24 hours to get around to processing this. As clearing is often run on a first come first serve basis, any delay, even of a few hours, could cause you to miss out on courses.

I believe you can use the search tool, but most unis won't even talk to you until you have your clearing number, so you can't get a new offer prior to being released.

12-24 hours?! that's so long omg, i thought it would take like 30 minutes. How long does clearing last then from results day?
12-24 hours?! that's so long omg, i thought it would take like 30 minutes. How long does clearing last then from results day?

You arent going to be top priority for a uni that has nothing to gain from you. If it is dealt with withion24 hours, then consider yourself very lucky. there were plenty of posts last year where it took much longer and they were back of the queue. If you dont want your insurance sort it now.

They can take as long as they like to release you, you won't be their priority as they want to fill places as a priority so although it could be hours it's not unheard of to be over a day. Clearing lasts until October but places can go quite quickly.
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
You arent going to be top priority for a uni that has nothing to gain from you. If it is dealt with withion24 hours, then consider yourself very lucky. there were plenty of posts last year where it took much longer and they were back of the queue. If you dont want your insurance sort it now.

the insurance choice i got right now is an alright university which I am happy to go to. But recently such as last year, much better universities were available...

In theory it lasts until unis fill all their places or September but realistically the best places will go in a few days.

If you ask to be placed in clearing before results day there won't be a delay but on results day staff are very busy so you're unlikely to be released quickly.
Reply 14
My insurance choice is BBB at Leicester for biomed. Do you think I should remove it to find a better uni through clearing?
Reply 15
My insurance is on the clearing list (Business at NTU) - is it worth asking them to release me and then if I can't find anything better through clearing then just go through them in clearing as a new applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending