The Student Room Group

Facebook sold access to user data, despite Zuckerberg's testimony to US Congress

Next person to come up with their own social media website which DOESN'T sell data, promote addiction and target advertisement = billionaire
Why are people so shocked about this? It's like finding out that The Guardian isn't unbiased, that the banks share your private details with Credit Scoring agencies, etc....
Zuckerborg*
Reply 4
Original post by Pantera Fan Club
Next person to come up with their own social media website which DOESN'T sell data, promote addiction and target advertisement = billionaire

How would the site be monetised to enable the founder to be a billionaire?
Reply 5
Original post by Doonesbury
How would the site be monetised to enable the founder to be a billionaire?

If enough people could be convinced to set up their own accounts and perhaps make use of traffic from major news sites offshore or perhaps in itself, it could grow. A simple thought I haven't thought through yet.
Reply 7
If enough people could be convinced to set up their own accounts and perhaps make use of traffic from major news sites offshore or perhaps in itself, it could grow. A simple thought I haven't thought through yet.

If users paid a subscription then perhaps, but even then I think it's a stretch.

lol

That's like saying someone who comes up with a McDonald's equivalent who sells healthy and ethically sourced foods will be a billionaire.

The data-mining and unethical advertising is the sole factor behind the Zucc's riches.

No.

And then he will sell it too :colondollar: Anything over the Internet cannot be secure.
Anyway corporations are constructs high level than governments anyway. Top corporations if they wish might even found their own city or country.
(edited 5 years ago)
Zuckerberg didn't lie. Everyone who signs up on FB agrees to their terms and services. Google is no different. If you are using the product for free, then my friend YOU are the product.

I hated FB's privacy policy since I was in class 12th (I don't know what it is called in the UK) so I deleted my id. It's been more than 3 years and I can bet they still have my data.

ZuccCCCCcccCeeedDD
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Well it is kind of their entire business model, i'm not sure wy this is surprising...
Reply 13

Just on this - you might be interested in what DuckDuckGo say about generating revenue without sharing/selling personal data:
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-revenue-generation-model-for-DuckDuckGo

Although their model probably wouldn't work for social media because keyword targetting might be seen as intrusive by data-fussy users, and may not be effective enough for advertisers. People using keywords to search for products are in active research/buying mode, whereas people just mentioning certain keywords in a social media setting almost certainly are not.
There's a difference between providing punters to advertisers in selected categories and charging the advertisers for it, which is what the current social media companies do and selling the actual details. Selling personal data to third parties really stinks, regardless of whether or not we 'agreed' to it in the labyrinthine 'terms and conditions' we 'accepted' because nobody in their right minds would have the time to wade through the hundreds of pages of legalese they contain.

I don't trust Facebook or Google as far as I can thrown them, not least because there is evidence that they conspire with dictatorial governments to share confidential user content with them for nefarious purposes in order to stay in those markets. Both corporations have, for example, aided China in censorship activities and in handing over user data. Both are in bed with the NSA and it is unknown how much information they really traffic to US government agencies and our own. It wouldn't be at all inconceivable that they also traffic commercial data from rival companies abroad to US corporations - the NSA have done this in the past with other snooping technologies.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending