The Student Room Group

Plovdiv 2019 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rarajaja0
The whole situation, especially in light of brexit, is a tricky one. To condense it as much and as stupidly as possible, we are fine for now, and there shouldn't be any issues in the future, unless a problem arises such as consistent bad performance by plov graduates in the NHS, or perhaps a ridiculous new parliamentary bill on the licencing of foreign grads... but they're very unlikely, not impossible, but unlikely.

The UK is introducing licensing. Anyone wanting to join the GMC will need sit an exam, although I'm unsure as to when the exam will be introduced. Either way plovdiv isnt exactly oxbridge so aren't you scared you'll fail?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Don't need to go to Oxbridge to be a good doctor.

Correct but going to the equivalent of London Met isn't going to produce the best of doctors is it?
The majority of students here are those who have missed out by one grade, there are also those who have already done a degree and come here.
What makes you think it's the equivalent of London Met?

They didn't get into medicine within the UK. Many videos released by the companies who facilitate all this give the impression that only B's at A level are required. If it's that easy to get into yoy may aswell go London met
Thanks for ignoring me guys :frown:
So according to you people with A*s/As at GCSE and A*AB/AAB at A level may as well go London Met and should not be studying Medicine?
Did you know that some people have been accepted with A*AB/AAB/ABB in the UK too?

You've understood me wrong. I've rightly compared plovdiv with London met. However the people who fail to get into medicine within th UK should use their brain and realise that actually medicine isn't for them. They just don't have the intellect to secure a medicine place. It's wiser for them to go onto to a medicine reject course like biomed or a completely different but less competitive course altogether
So according to you people with A*s/As at GCSE and A*AB/AAB at A level may as well go London Met and should not be studying Medicine?
Did you know that some people have been accepted with A*AB/AAB/ABB in the UK too?

I forgot to address the second part. Some people are accepted based on their personal circumstances in widening access schemes however others who have narrowly missed their offer, well tough luck. If your uni hasn't accepted you then your just not good enough.
Reply 26
You've failed to rightly compare the two.
Also sorry but intellect isn't the only thing you need to secure a place in medicine in the UK, there are other factors involved.

Medicine is Medicine, it's a very special type of degree and it doesn't matter where you go to study it as long as it's in the world directory of medical schools and recognised internationally then you're sorted.

Lol. Like someone who got 12A*’s at GCSE, A*A*A* at A-Level and a really high UKCAT got rejected and according to the person you’re talking to this applicant wasn’t good enough for Medicine in the UK so they should stop trying to pursue it.
Reply 27
Original post by thatmememachine
I was told it's easier to get into dentistry there? A few people older than me are there right now from the college I go to but I don't really know them well enough to really ask. I've just finished my A levels but didn't apply for dentistry since my predicted weren't up there. I have a few questions though since I'm sure the majority of people there speak Bulgarian and none to minimal English how is it even possible to communicate or get by when I don't even know a word of Bulgarian? Also how are the living expenses down there?

I'm a medic so I wouldn't really know about the relative difficulty to get in... but its really not that hard trust me. just bet Bs in a-levels and do decent in the entrance exam and you'll be fine. The language; well, most Bulgarians speak English because they're taught pretty well in schools, its only the old people who cant speak, but you get taught enough to communicate the basics, its a little tedious sometimes but its not as big of an issue as you think, plus your friend group will almost certainly be English and you'll spend the majority of your time with them so yah. The living costs; thing are pretty cheap here... like a loaf of bread would be the equivalent of 40p, can of coke like 50p, taxis from uni to the town centre between £1 and £2, cigarettes £2.50, a carton of milk £1, Months utilities between £10 to £20... so its pretty darn cheap
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 28
Thanks for ignoring me guys :frown:

sorry had exams :colondollar:
I'm a medic so I wouldn't really know about the relative difficulty to get in... but its really not that hard trust me. just bet Bs in a-levels and do decent in the entrance exam and you'll be fine. The language; well, most Bulgarians speak English because they're taught pretty well in schools, its only the old people who cant speak, but you get taught enough to communicate the basics, its a little tedious sometimes but its not as big of an issue as you think, plus your friend group will almost certainly be English and you'll spend the majority of your time with them so yah. The living costs; thing are pretty cheap here... like a loaf of bread would be the equivalent of 40p, can of coke like 50p, taxis from uni to the town centre between £1 and £2.50, cigarettes £2.50, a carton of milk £1... so its pretty darn cheap

Ah i see, I'm bilingual so learning another language would be tedious to be honest. The living costs sound cheap. Thanks, hope your exams went well.
I've heard starting from next year the exams will be slightly tougher and the acceptance grades will be a bit higher. Each year it's becoming harder to get into. I'm looking at pleven and plovdiv as well is Masaryk in the Czech republic. But I mean If you get a Minimum of 3 B's In chemistry and biology + one more subject. You should do okay.
Reply 31
Ah i see, I'm bilingual so learning another language would be tedious to be honest. The living costs sound cheap. Thanks, hope your exams went well.

I'm already trilingual, learning Bulgarian is extra tedious for me loool. That being said its not thats hard, consistency and repetition is key in learning any language.
Reply 32
Original post by CharliesUK
I've heard starting from next year the exams will be slightly tougher and the acceptance grades will be a bit higher. Each year it's becoming harder to get into. I'm looking at pleven and plovdiv as well is Masaryk in the Czech republic. But I mean If you get a Minimum of 3 B's In chemistry and biology + one more subject. You should do okay.

Despite people with Cs and the occasional D being let in this year, the reason why i say Bs is exaaaactly what you just mentioned, it's getting harder and harder every year because it's becoming more mainstream.

Pleven is a dead town, theres so much more to do in plovdiv, the uni is better and the English speaking community is so much bigger. There's a reason plovdiv is the big boy uni in terms of foreign med students, and how it's a pretty notorious town for beauty in eastern Europe.

I know a few people who went Czech, 3 who went Charles and one who is going Brno, so not the uni you mentioned. Charles seems like an amazing place to study (dunno about the one you mentioned) I mean come on, it's Prague, but the costs are insane bearing in mind you're not with a loan. Also, all 3 were kicked out of the uni for lacking grades, but they're smart smart people, smarter than the majority of this uni; Czech is HARD in general, bear that in mind.
(edited 5 years ago)
Despite people with Cs and the occasional D being let in this year, the reason why i say Bs is exaaaactly what you just mentioned, it's getting harder and harder every year because it's becoming more mainstream.

Pleven is a dead town, theres so much more to do in plovdiv, the uni is better and the English speaking community is so much bigger. There's a reason plovdiv is the big boy uni in terms of foreign med students, and how it's a pretty notorious town for beauty in eastern Europe.

I know a few people who went Czech, 3 who went Charles and one who is going Brno, so not the uni you mentioned. Charles seems like an amazing place to study (dunno about the one you mentioned) I mean come on, it's Prague, but the costs are insane bearing in mind you're not with a loan. Also, all 3 were kicked out of the uni for lacking grades, but they're smart smart people, smarter than the majority of this uni; Czech is HARD in general, bear that in mind.

I talked to one student in their final year and she said that most students with C's or D's get kicked out because they cannot cope with the lectures, either in the first few months or by the end of the 1st year.

I've heard some agents will get you into the university by after that understanding and putting the effort in is all down to you, as it should be will all degrees.
Reply 34
I talked to one student in their final year and she said that most students with C's or D's get kicked out because they cannot cope with the lectures, either in the first few months or by the end of the 1st year.

I've heard some agents will get you into the university by after that understanding and putting the effort in is all down to you, as it should be will all degrees.

If you're talking about Czech unis the 3 i know who are in plovdiv after being kicked out or left are smart kids, were talking As at A-level. Furthermore they're doing well this year in Plov. Czech is unfair and cruel. Plovdiv is considerably harder than UK med schools, so one can only imagine how unnecessarily hard Czech ones will be.

But then again, study your ass off and sacrifice an excessive social life then you'll graduate with a bomb degree from Czech, but personally and from the people whove went there have told me... i dont see the point when there's plovdiv

Edit: I'm not hyping plovdiv by any means, believe me, I'm just going off personal and friends experiences
(edited 5 years ago)
If you're talking about Czech unis the 3 i know who are in plovdiv after being kicked out or left are smart kids, were talking As at A-level. Furthermore they're doing well this year in Plov. Czech is unfair and cruel. Plovdiv is considerably harder than UK med schools, so one can only imagine how unnecessarily hard Czech ones will be.

But then again, study your ass off and sacrifice an excessive social life then you'll graduate with a bomb degree from Czech, but personally and from the people whove went there have told me... i dont see the point when there's plovdiv

Edit: I'm not hyping plovdiv by any means, believe me, I'm just going off personal and friends experiences

In terms of the entrance exam, when you took it last year did they just use questions from the sample papers given on their website or was there additional content? Somebody I know who did it 2 years back said they did repeat only from the questions given, I'm not sure though.
Reply 36
Original post by YungChicken
In terms of the entrance exam, when you took it last year did they just use questions from the sample papers given on their website or was there additional content? Somebody I know who did it 2 years back said they did repeat only from the questions given, I'm not sure though.

It was pretty much all repeat content and repeat questions, if you do them all once you will pass very convincingly. I rememeber only revising 2 hours the day before and i still got into the top half

But again i dont know they might have changed it this year due to increased competition. Don't take no risks, spend a few days on it. Even if you only needed a few hours, you'll have bragging rights for being super high in the publicly ranked list :wink:
(edited 5 years ago)

My only concern is the ranking. I'm planning to move back to the USA after and plovdiv and pleven are ranked near the 8000 worldwide. My cousin who graduated A few years ago only recently found a job because there are just so many exams when you move back and the position of the university plays a large roll. *Medical school in America is very expensive so that is why I believe you need to get certain licences and some exams.
It was pretty much all repeat content and repeat questions, if you do them all once you will pass very convincingly. I rememeber only revising 2 hours the day before and i still got into the top half

But again i dont know they might have changed it this year due to increased competition. Don't take no risks, spend a few days on it. Even if you only needed a few hours, you'll have bragging rights for being super high in the publicly ranked list :wink:

Thank you for replying rapidly. Yea, the test has changed tbh, we have a 20 mark essay question at the end, doesn't seem too difficult but still requires preparation. Hahaa, definitely don't wanna be down the bottom of the list.
My only concern is the ranking. I'm planning to move back to the USA after and plovdiv and pleven are ranked near the 8000 worldwide. My cousin who graduated A few years ago only recently found a job because there are just so many exams when you move back and the position of the university plays a large roll. *Medical school in America is very expensive so that is why I believe you need to get certain licences and some exams.

Hello, I'm not sure if you are aware of this Doctor called "Dr. Buck Parker" on youtube. He was an international medical graduate (but an american citizen) and he explains in many of his videos the route to take to secure a residency and eventually a job in the US, they might help you.

Quick Reply