The Student Room Group

Car insurance: fronting - my mum won't listen to me

I'm 25 and passed my test in early June. I just bought a car, it's registered under my name. It's currently on 5 day drive away insurance from the dealer and we've been looking at different insurance options. The quotes vary between 1500 (with black box) to 3000 (without). I managed to find one with Admiral for 1877 without a black box but the excess is 1250. My mum is now determined to get insurance and put herself down as main driver and me as a named driver. This makes me really anxious - I'm temporarily living 2 hours away from her for a job. I'm sensing this is a horrible idea but she won't listen to me. And yes, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions but my mum can be scary as hell...any advice? Has anyone here done this before?
Original post by 8888
I'm 25 and passed my test in early June. I just bought a car, it's registered under my name. It's currently on 5 day drive away insurance from the dealer and we've been looking at different insurance options. The quotes vary between 1500 (with black box) to 3000 (without). I managed to find one with Admiral for 1877 without a black box but the excess is 1250. My mum is now determined to get insurance and put herself down as main driver and me as a named driver. This makes me really anxious - I'm temporarily living 2 hours away from her for a job. I'm sensing this is a horrible idea but she won't listen to me. And yes, I'm an adult and can make my own decisions but my mum can be scary as hell...any advice? Has anyone here done this before?

You will be driving uninsured if you do that. What car have you got? That quote sounds very expensive. Our neighbour is 24 and his insurance is about £800 fully comprehensive with a parent names as additional [not main] driver.
Reply 2
Original post by 8888

You're 25 and still letting your mum control your life? Get a grip, mate.

If you opt for her way of doing things here, you'll be losing your licence the minute you're caught out.
Original post by Muttley79
You will be driving uninsured if you do that. What car have you got? That quote sounds very expensive. Our neighbour is 24 and his insurance is about £800 fully comprehensive with a parent names as additional [not main] driver.

OP passed their test last month.

Original post by IWMTom

If you opt for her way of doing things here, you'll be losing your licence the minute you're caught out.

Bit harsh, but can see where you're coming from.

OP, you need to explain that's totally unacceptable to do. The consequences aren't worth it, you'll end up losing your licence and the both of you could struggle to get any type of insurance in the future - be that house insurance, car insurance, life insurance.
No one will find out. YOLO
Reply 5
Original post by tom123h456
No one will find out. YOLO

The car being registered in OPs name is a bit of a red flag...
Original post by IWMTom

Calm down, don't talk about his personal life like you know him.

Offer him an answer regarding the insurance.

Be like sheepy.
Reply 7
Original post by MrCole&Co

Be like sheepy.

If you can't tell your mum you're refusing to commit insurance fraud at the age of 25, perhaps you shouldn't be driving a car.

This thread didn't need to exist; it's pretty damn obvious what to do in this situation.
Reply 8
Really stupid idea.

Aside from the part about living in difference places, and it being insurance fraud, some (maybe many) companies won't even offer insurance if you're not the registered keeper.
Original post by MrCole&Co

Be like sheepy.

No I understand why Tom's being blunt - because stupid questions do exist and this is one of them. OP knows it's illegal. OP owns the car. OP has already found reasonable insurance quotes. Mother cannot force an insurance policy with her as main driver onto OP. He needs to tell her to back off. This is an extremely simple concept.

Take the 1877 quote mate, and just ignore her - you'll be road legal and driving without the fear that your insurance rings you up and lets you know your policy failed the audit and they're cancelling your insurance - or you hit someone and the insurance doesn't pay out and voids your policy leaving you with 6 points and picking up the pieces financially. Your mother is living in the past when you could get away with it and that's why she doesn't understand.

In fact can you even get insured as a policyholder on a car with a V5C in someone else's name?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 8888

Ignore your mother, go through the whole process of purchasing the policy yourself or go to a broker tomorrow. Then bring home the Certificate of Motor Insurance and tell your mother it's all sorted and now there's no need to commit insurance fraud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending