The Student Room Group

Why do people say psychology or clinical psychology is badly paid ?

when starting salaries are 40k upwards ok assistant jobs are 20k but thats trainee level right ?
Its not quite medicine ygm.
Reply 2
yeah i get that but how many people can honestly say they can get into medicine ?

Original post by Pom_Bear
Its not quite medicine ygm.
I haven't heard anyone say that it is badly paid I've heard its over saturated / hard to get a job

At least in medicine you're pretty much guaranteed a job.
medicine is hard to get into tho psychology is a lot easier. so it's easy to say medicine pays better but most people won't get in / won't bother trying
Original post by Anonymous
medicine is hard to get into tho psychology is a lot easier. so it's easy to say medicine pays better but most people won't get in / won't bother trying

It's harder to get into a medicine degree than a psychology degree but it's easier to get into a medicine job than psychology job (I think xD)
There are well paying jobs in psychology but there are very few compared to the number of psychology graduates. And generally you need work experience in lower paid roles before you can get anything which pays well. People often don't qualify as a clin psych until they're 28/29/30 at best so until then they don't earna lot.
Original post by Ryan_88
yeah i get that but how many people can honestly say they can get into medicine ?

Plenty fam
Original post by Ryan_88
when starting salaries are 40k upwards ok assistant jobs are 20k but thats trainee level right ?

They haven't done their research and why would they if they're not interested in psychology? Psychologists can get the same salary as that of a physicians, seeing as they are a doctor themselves, but in psychology. Psychology assistants (those with only degree level) can earn around £25K which is considered well paid in my area. People seem to think everyone studying it will want to become psychologists or want to be counsellors so there is little to no jobs available and that couldn't be further from the truth! People study psychology for numerous reasons and it's not always about mental health.

I am studying it because I am interested in human behaviour and the limitations of the human mind/brain, as well as everything it can do. The things I have learned about people in the studies I have looked at has been genuinely shocking (and it's always handy knowing human psychology to work to your advantage in some situations :lol:). People forget that research psychologists exist who do research regularly with some lectures in the process. Research psychologists have changed how people are interviewed by police and so people who are vulnerable are handled correctly, whilst encouraging memory recall without causing the memory to reconstruct false information/memories and they have made the justice system seriously consider the value of eyewitness testimony. A psychologist who studied human attention was involved in how plane cockpits were designed and others who studied animals helped in the production of anxiety medications. I don't think people appreciate the things they have achieved in a relatively short time!

Only about 20% of graduates become doctors in psychology. The skills I learn in my degree will allow me to work in the government as an intelligence/data analyst and I am aiming to become a crime analyst which is also a £25K with chances to get to £30K with promotion and experience. Not only do the skills I learn help me to get there, my knowledge of forensic psychology will give me a whole new insight into predicting criminal behaviour and preventing further crime, a job that is not known about and works tirelessly in the background to protect the public.

So in short, the salaries from base level to the highest level range from £25,000 to about £85,000 (experienced psychologist, head of department).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending