The Student Room Group

the nikah process

i want to keep this anon so clicked everyday issues

does the imam basically have to be a man who works at the mosque like a mosque teacher?
how long is the nikah without the khutbah?
do you have to pay the mosque teacher?

can my wali be my brother or father or any close man?
Reply 1
@h333
@Zamestaneh

would appreciate the help, thank you
is the nikah process a chemical reaction we need to know for A-level chemistry?!! My teacher never taught me that :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by eveross00
is the nikah process a chemical reaction we need to know for A-level chemistry?!! My teacher never taught me that :frown:

nikah is islamic contract lol
Original post by Anonymous
@h333
@Zamestaneh

For some reason TSR wasn't allowing us to quote messages so @h333 said she could not respond at the time; maybe she can now?

I am afraid my knowledge is limited in this, so it may be better to ask a scholar or someone with knowledge.

The part I might know a little about is your Wali (but again check this with a scholar because I am not learned). Your Wali is by default your father, but his Wilayah is only invalidated if he doesn't act as your guardian, if he is a non-Muslim, is not mentally stable, or cannot otherwise discharge the duties of a Wali (e.g. if he follows some deviant sect which would influence the kind of husband he would want for you, etc). Wilayah passes onto one of your uncles, and then to the next uncle and the next uncle and so on until it eventually reaches your brother, but you MUST check with a scholar/Imam first - they decide whether Wilayah should be passed onto someone else and to whom it should be passed on to - and you cannot make that judgement yourself unless something is clear cut i.e. in the case your father is dead, not Muslim, and so on.

As a case example, say you are Somali and the brother you want to marry is Bengali, grew up in the same place as you and so on (and let us presume he appears to be of sound moral character) - you approach your father and say you want marry this brother; your father is outraged and says he will never marry you to a Bengali because he is not the same tribe or ethnic background to you. You would then go to a scholar/Imam who would then speak with your father and explain this is Haram (to reject someone based on race); if your father continues to stubbornly refuse to agree to the marriage, the scholar/Imam then passes on the Wilayah to your next male relative (like your paternal uncle), and this process goes on and on until one of them agrees, unless they disagree to marry you to him based on a valid Islamic reason e.g. they find out he keeps bad company like druggies and alcoholics - in this case, you cannot just pass the Wilayah on because he doesn't accept the person you love/want to marry...

As I said though: verify what I said with a person with knowledge.
Reply 5
Original post by Zamestaneh
For some reason TSR wasn't allowing us to quote messages so @h333 said she could not respond at the time; maybe she can now?

I am afraid my knowledge is limited in this, so it may be better to ask a scholar or someone with knowledge.

The part I might know a little about is your Wali (but again check this with a scholar because I am not learned). Your Wali is by default your father, but his Wilayah is only invalidated if he doesn't act as your guardian, if he is a non-Muslim, is not mentally stable, or cannot otherwise discharge the duties of a Wali (e.g. if he follows some deviant sect which would influence the kind of husband he would want for you, etc). Wilayah passes onto one of your uncles, and then to the next uncle and the next uncle and so on until it eventually reaches your brother, but you MUST check with a scholar/Imam first - they decide whether Wilayah should be passed onto someone else and to whom it should be passed on to - and you cannot make that judgement yourself unless something is clear cut i.e. in the case your father is dead, not Muslim, and so on.

As a case example, say you are Somali and the brother you want to marry is Bengali, grew up in the same place as you and so on (and let us presume he appears to be of sound moral character) - you approach your father and say you want marry this brother; your father is outraged and says he will never marry you to a Bengali because he is not the same tribe or ethnic background to you. You would then go to a scholar/Imam who would then speak with your father and explain this is Haram (to reject someone based on race); if your father continues to stubbornly refuse to agree to the marriage, the scholar/Imam then passes on the Wilayah to your next male relative (like your paternal uncle), and this process goes on and on until one of them agrees, unless they disagree to marry you to him based on a valid Islamic reason e.g. they find out he keeps bad company like druggies and alcoholics - in this case, you cannot just pass the Wilayah on because he doesn't accept the person you love/want to marry...

As I said though: verify what I said with a person with knowledge.

woah thanks for the info but this has got me confused haha!

ive read online and it just says the wali is your father or brother? im not close to my uncles and hardly know them so how could they be my wali?
is it okay to have 2 female witnesses and 1 male witness and then wali?
is imam somebody who works in the mosque? cos thats no priesthood in islam
do you have to pay the imam?

thanks for the info
Reply 6
@h333
@Zamestaneh

You should go to your local mosque and ask your local imam to get the best advice and answers to all your questions insha’Allah.

The Nikah may take 20-45 mins I think, it varies.
And yes you will most likely be expected to pay the imam or mosque to have your Nikah conducted.

The following is from Islamqa:

The conditions of the walee are as follows:

He should be of sound mind

He should be an adult

He should be free (not a slave)

He should be of the same religion as the bride. A kaafir cannot be the walee of a Muslim, male or female, and a Muslim cannot be the walee of a kaafir, male or female, but a kaafir can be the walee of a kaafir woman for marriage purposes, even if they are of different religions. An apostate (one who has left Islam) cannot be a walee for anybody.

He should be of good character (‘adaalah includes piety, attitude, conduct, etc.), as opposed to being corrupt. This is a condition laid down by some scholars, although some of them regard the outward appearance of good character as being sufficient, and some say that it is enough if he is judged as being able to pay proper attention to the interests of the woman for whom he is acting as walee in the matter of her marriage.

He should be male, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman may conduct the marriage contract of another woman, and no woman can conduct the marriage contract on behalf of her own self, because the zaaniyah (fornicatress, adulteress) is the one who arranges things on her own behalf.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298)

He should be wise and mature (rushd), which means being able to understand matters of compatibility and the interests of marriage.

The ***ahaa’ put possible walees in a certain order, and a walee who is more closely-related should not be ignored unless there is no such person or the relatives do not meet the specified conditions. A woman’s walee is her father, then whoever her father may have appointed before his death, then her paternal grandfather or great-grandfather, then her son, then her grandfathers sons or grandsons, then her brother through both parents (full brother), then her brother through her father, then the sons of her brother through both parents, then the sons of her brother through her father, then her uncle (her father’s brother through both parents), then her father’s brother through the father, then the sons of her father’s brother though both parents, then the sons of her father’s brother through the father, then whoever is more closely related, and so on as is the case with inheritance. The Muslim leader (or his deputy, such as a qaadi or judge) is the walee for any woman who does not have a walee of her own.

And Allaah knows best.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by h333
You should go to your local mosque and ask your local imam to get the best advice and answers to all your questions insha’Allah.

The Nikah may take 20-45 mins I think, it varies.
And yes you will most likely be expected to pay the imam or mosque to have your Nikah conducted.

The following is from Islamqa:

The conditions of the walee are as follows:

He should be of sound mind

He should be an adult

He should be free (not a slave)

He should be of the same religion as the bride. A kaafir cannot be the walee of a Muslim, male or female, and a Muslim cannot be the walee of a kaafir, male or female, but a kaafir can be the walee of a kaafir woman for marriage purposes, even if they are of different religions. An apostate (one who has left Islam) cannot be a walee for anybody.

He should be of good character (‘adaalah includes piety, attitude, conduct, etc.), as opposed to being corrupt. This is a condition laid down by some scholars, although some of them regard the outward appearance of good character as being sufficient, and some say that it is enough if he is judged as being able to pay proper attention to the interests of the woman for whom he is acting as walee in the matter of her marriage.

He should be male, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “No woman may conduct the marriage contract of another woman, and no woman can conduct the marriage contract on behalf of her own self, because the zaaniyah (fornicatress, adulteress) is the one who arranges things on her own behalf.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 1782; see also Saheeh al-Jaami’, 7298)

He should be wise and mature (rushd), which means being able to understand matters of compatibility and the interests of marriage.

The ***ahaa’ put possible walees in a certain order, and a walee who is more closely-related should not be ignored unless there is no such person or the relatives do not meet the specified conditions. A woman’s walee is her father, then whoever her father may have appointed before his death, then her paternal grandfather or great-grandfather, then her son, then her grandfathers sons or grandsons, then her brother through both parents (full brother), then her brother through her father, then the sons of her brother through both parents, then the sons of her brother through her father, then her uncle (her father’s brother through both parents), then her father’s brother through the father, then the sons of her father’s brother though both parents, then the sons of her father’s brother through the father, then whoever is more closely related, and so on as is the case with inheritance. The Muslim leader (or his deputy, such as a qaadi or judge) is the walee for any woman who does not have a walee of her own.

And Allaah knows best.

woah the nikah is that long??? i swear its way shorter cos i dont want the khutbah?

thanks for the reply xx
woah thanks for the info but this has got me confused haha!

ive read online and it just says the wali is your father or brother? im not close to my uncles and hardly know them so how could they be my wali?
is it okay to have 2 female witnesses and 1 male witness and then wali?
is imam somebody who works in the mosque? cos thats no priesthood in islam
do you have to pay the imam?

thanks for the info

Read this:

https://islamqa.info/en/2127

An Imam is a religious leader in the community; I do not think it is necessary to have an Imam for a Nikkah to take place, but people often choose to have one present.
I have never attended a Nikkah and I do not have Muslim family to be able to tell me if they paid an Imam or not, sorry.

Edit: H333 gave you the same article, Nvm.
Reply 9
woah the nikah is that long??? i swear its way shorter cos i dont want the khutbah?

thanks for the reply xx

Haha yeah it may be shorter about 15 mins, don’t worry.

No problem :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Zamestaneh
Read this:

https://islamqa.info/en/2127

An Imam is a religious leader in the community; I do not think it is necessary to have an Imam for a Nikkah to take place, but people often choose to have one present.
I have never attended a Nikkah and I do not have Muslim family to be able to tell me if they paid an Imam or not, sorry.

Edit: H333 gave you the same article, Nvm.

i understand but like what is religious leader in the community? like i have local mosque and theres lots of mosque male teachers so is it one of those? cos in islam theres no priesthood and its just a good muslim basically and yeah i know but who will draw out the certificate like when you sign it along with witnesses?
Reply 11
OP, @Zamestaneh is right, the Nikah can be done without an Imam and the Khutbah. If you go to your local mosque, they will be able to help you insha’Allah with your concerns.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending