The Student Room Group

Nottingham university vs University of Manchester

I aspire to become an entrepreneur in the future. I have applied for the IBFE (international business finance & economics) course at manchester and industrial economics at nottingham, and im stuck on deciding which one to go to!?. For one, Nottingham is a campus uni which i feel ill be more fond of compared to a City-based uni (manchester) and nottingham has more modules tailored to entrepreneurship ( Marketing & Society, New Venture Creation). However, Nottingham does not have an industrial placement year whilst manchester does, and whilst the IBFE course is not as enterprise-based as the industrial economics course, it is much more flexible if you compare both modules. The manchester entrepreneurs society is also one of the largest societies in the UK, which has helped develop over 160 companies. Someone help me decide please?????
If I were you, Manchester Uni
Reply 2
Original post by Justin kufuor
I aspire to become an entrepreneur in the future. I have applied for the IBFE (international business finance & economics) course at manchester and industrial economics at nottingham, and im stuck on deciding which one to go to!?. For one, Nottingham is a campus uni which i feel ill be more fond of compared to a City-based uni (manchester) and nottingham has more modules tailored to entrepreneurship ( Marketing & Society, New Venture Creation). However, Nottingham does not have an industrial placement year whilst manchester does, and whilst the IBFE course is not as enterprise-based as the industrial economics course, it is much more flexible if you compare both modules. The manchester entrepreneurs society is also one of the largest societies in the UK, which has helped develop over 160 companies. Someone help me decide please?????

Manchester definitely. You need to think more about placements, modules and the department more than the campus but it’s just my opinion.
But again, Nottingham has very good reputation in business and students get hired easily too.
(edited 6 years ago)
As far as flexibility goes, you will be hands down better off at Nottingham, in the business school you can switch around alot of modules, you can also apply to do your second year a semester abroad at a highly reduced rate, for example i am doing my second year abroad international management at Nottingham Malaysia. This is going to cosr me 1,420£ in fees. There is an automatic bursary awarded of £750 for going abroad from the University, free flight! The cost of living is 1,500£ rent for the year in malaysia! Besides that Nottingham is not to be underestimated, ranked 7th for economics and is the ultimate university fo entrepreneurial spirit in the UK. We take two modules on entrepreneurship in first year! Taught by a really lovely lady. Nottingham is a very supportive University even though its got a super modern vibe its a joy to attend :smile: Further almost everything is taught from a context of innovation and sustainability, if you graduate from Nottingham you will get a JOB you dont need the placement, even as a first year i applied for insight days and got loads of response from banks. We constantly have career fairs and a module you can take part of the Nottingham advantage award, that is led by employers that come in and talk to you about interviews etc. From day one its all about succeeding and learning about companies i had never even knew existed. Its almost too much!

Obviously im a bit biased, but i did alot of research into Unis before applying and for some reason i always came back to thinking there was something special about Nottingham! Believe me was i right, thank god they offered me and now im here lol.

Also, as a student, unless your minted and even if they are they usually take it (parents) as you need to grow up and manage on that student loan.. Let me tell you, that cost of living in a big city will hit you hard. If you do industrial economics you study on jubilee your a 5 minute bus ride from the centre, but its normal enough around here with affordable stuff.. Longer term in 2 year good luck finding an affordable place in the city centre of Manchester.

Nightlife? Nottingham is absolutely livid, its so cheap it the party does not stop here, remember its 60k students in a medium sized town!! Yes trent is here as well :smile: We need someone to laugh at!

hope to see you next year!
Original post by yourguide
If I were you, Manchester Uni

Why do you think manchester? Just curious😊
Original post by Realitysreflexx
As far as flexibility goes, you will be hands down better off at Nottingham, in the business school you can switch around alot of modules, you can also apply to do your second year a semester abroad at a highly reduced rate, for example i am doing my second year abroad international management at Nottingham Malaysia. This is going to cosr me 1,420£ in fees. There is an automatic bursary awarded of £750 for going abroad from the University, free flight! The cost of living is 1,500£ rent for the year in malaysia! Besides that Nottingham is not to be underestimated, ranked 7th for economics and is the ultimate university fo entrepreneurial spirit in the UK. We take two modules on entrepreneurship in first year! Taught by a really lovely lady. Nottingham is a very supportive University even though its got a super modern vibe its a joy to attend :smile: Further almost everything is taught from a context of innovation and sustainability, if you graduate from Nottingham you will get a JOB you dont need the placement, even as a first year i applied for insight days and got loads of response from banks. We constantly have career fairs and a module you can take part of the Nottingham advantage award, that is led by employers that come in and talk to you about interviews etc. From day one its all about succeeding and learning about companies i had never even knew existed. Its almost too much!

Obviously im a bit biased, but i did alot of research into Unis before applying and for some reason i always came back to thinking there was something special about Nottingham! Believe me was i right, thank god they offered me and now im here lol.

Also, as a student, unless your minted and even if they are they usually take it (parents) as you need to grow up and manage on that student loan.. Let me tell you, that cost of living in a big city will hit you hard. If you do industrial economics you study on jubilee your a 5 minute bus ride from the centre, but its normal enough around here with affordable stuff.. Longer term in 2 year good luck finding an affordable place in the city centre of Manchester.

Nightlife? Nottingham is absolutely livid, its so cheap it the party does not stop here, remember its 60k students in a medium sized town!! Yes trent is here as well :smile: We need someone to laugh at!

hope to see you next year!

Thanks alot! Hopefully I will make a decision soon👍👍
Original post by Justin kufuor
Why do you think manchester? Just curious😊

It’s an amazing uni, has great transport links within the city and to get to any part of UK. There’s also a lot of options that the uni provides in terms of modules, networking with other students on your course and a chance to stay in uni accommodation during your final year if your the person that wants to be less distracted whilst pursuing your last year of your time at uni
I’m in the exact situation! I can’t decide on which uni to go to
Original post by Joe_Stewart35
I’m in the exact situation! I can’t decide on which uni to go to

Yo I made this thread but this is my new account lol. I ended up picking Nottingham over Manchester, but picking either of them wouldn’t put you at a disadvantage as long as prospects are concerned, it’s more about your preference tbh.
Original post by Vinsmoke Sanji
Yo I made this thread but this is my new account lol. I ended up picking Nottingham over Manchester, but picking either of them wouldn’t put you at a disadvantage as long as prospects are concerned, it’s more about your preference tbh.

Good choice :smile:
Good choice :smile:
Thank you😁👊🏿
Reply 11
Yes trent is here as well :smile: We need someone to laugh at!

This league table suggests otherwise, just sayin
Original post by dddd1
This league table suggests otherwise, just sayin

Found another person who goes to a crap university crying lol.

Quick Reply

Latest