The Student Room Group

Phoning up a university on results day (but they don't take part in clearing)

Hi everyone

I really want to phone up St. Andrews on results day since they had initially rejected me and ask them if perchance someone missed out on their offer or what have you and could offer me a space?

My teacher said it's worth a try, but that was before I told him I could not find anything that suggests they do clearing, and I was starting to get my hopes up.

He still thinks I should try but ... I don't know ... what do you think?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrSebWilkes
Hi everyone

I really want to phone up St. Andrews hat initially rejected me on results day and ask them if perchance someone missed out on their offer or what have you and could offer me a space?

My teacher said it's worth a try, but that was before I told him I could not find anything that suggests they do clearing, and I was starting to get my hopes up.

You would be wasting your time. If they have rejected you already they are highly unlikely to change because of your sob story
Original post by swanseajack1
You would be wasting your time. If they have rejected you already they are highly unlikely to change because of your sob story

Normally I'd agree, but in those places that do clearing and whatnot, adjustment does allow candidates to do things like I'm suggesting (at least that's what my teacher implied).
Normally I'd agree, but in those places that do clearing and whatnot, adjustment does allow candidates to do things like I'm suggesting (at least that's what my teacher implied).

St Andrews rejected you because they dont consider you a suitable candidate. If they are not clearing which they arent usually they will have filled their places with what they consider are better applicants. IF they are not in clearing the matter is closed. Even if they were in clearing/adjustment it is very unlikely they are going to accept you. As I said if they are not the matter is closed.
Reply 4
worth a try mate don't listen to the negative fairies above
Hi everyone

I really want to phone up St. Andrews hat initially rejected me on results day and ask them if perchance someone missed out on their offer or what have you and could offer me a space?

Don't ring up unless they are in clearing - you are wasting your time and money.

If you've been rejected by a uni, unless you have new information to give them e.g. you're getting an exam remarked, they're not going to change their minds. If they are in clearing, it just means they think they can find better candidates than the ones they've rejected. The only reason to phone up a uni is if they have your results but have not made a decision.

As St Andrews are not in clearing, it's very likely the course is full, and they are even less likely to change their minds.

However, if you've got a place at your insurance and you're not wasting time you should be using to call other unis to find a clearing space, then I guess you have nothing to lose by trying- and I suppose it might make you feel you have done everything you can.
Reply 7
Hi everyone

They will have had your (and everybody else's) results for some days prior to results day and have had plenty of time to consider their decision. If that decision is a no they won't be changing their mind on the back of a phone call.

The only situation when a call is worthwhile is if no decision is showing. That means they are still thinking about it - and if you are a near-miss it may be worth calling with your raw or UMS marks.
Original post by Doonesbury
They will have had your (and everybody else's) results for some days prior to results day and have had plenty of time to consider their decision. If that decision is a no they won't be changing their mind on the back of a phone call.

The only situation when a call is worthwhile is if no decision is showing. That means they are still thinking about it - and if you are a near-miss it may be worth calling with your raw or UMS marks.

Yeah I think I see - I guess there was always the hope that someone'd miss the grades and there'd be a space available if I am proactive enough to ask for it.
Yeah I think I see - I guess there was always the hope that someone'd miss the grades and there'd be a space available if I am proactive enough to ask for it.

universities make more offers than places for that purpose. It would have been far easier had your teachers given you correct advice instead of misleading you,

But presumably you've missed the grades as well? So why should they give this theoretical space to you?
Original post by SarcAndSpark
But presumably you've missed the grades as well? So why should they give this theoretical space to you?

No on the contrary, I would have surpassed my grades for adjustment?

EDIT: their offer is A*AA or something like that and I think I can get 3A*A this summer
Reply 12

EDIT: their offer is A*AA or something like that and I think I can get 3A*A this summer

How would you surpass your offer but miss it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Oh hold on, so St Andrews already rejected you. And you want to reapply to St Andrews via adjustment if you exceed your firm offer at a different university.

Yes that's possible. But again no guarantee they will accept you. You have nothing to lose, you'd still have your Firm.

Edit: updated, no this isn't an option because St Andrews isn't in Adjustment this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
How would you surpass your offer but miss it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh ... I re-read the OP since it seems that you were not the only one with the wrong idea! Sorry I had done a dyslexic 'think of phraseology' which turned into text. Anyway I meant to say the rejected me on UCAS but I think I can go into adjustment this results day, and I want to try to speak to them.
Reply 15
ahh ... I re-read the OP since it seems that you were not the only one with the wrong idea! Sorry I had done a dyslexic 'think of phraseology' which turned into text. Anyway I meant to say the rejected me on UCAS but I think I can go into adjustment this results day, and I want to try to speak to them.

See above reply... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh hold on, so St Andrews already rejected you. And you want to reapply to St Andrews via adjustment if you exceed your firm offer at a different university.

Yes that's possible. But again no guarantee they will accept you. You have nothing to lose, you'd still have your Firm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's right. My bad sorry/

So it won't be a waste of time to try to phone them up?
Reply 17
Yes, that's right. My bad sorry/

So it won't be a waste of time to try to phone them up?

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it guaranteed? No.
Is it a waste of time? No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, your initial post was quite unclear, it made it sound like St Andrews had rejected you when they got your results, and you wanted them to reconsider.

I think I now understand that they rejected you when you applied last Autumn and you now want to use adjustment to see if they will give you a place.

Adjustment is a separate process to clearing and unis may offer courses in adjustment that are not in clearing. If you exceed your firm offer, then you will be eligible for adjustment and can contact participating unis. If a uni is not participating in adjustment, you can still contact them, but obviously they won't offer you a place.

Unis probably won't make it clear if they're participating in adjustment or not until results day- so don't worry if they don't have courses in clearing yet- it's a separate process.

There aren't any guarantees- but if you do get A*A*A* and the uni is in adjustment, you have a good chance of getting a place.

When you're communicating with unis, try to make sure you're being really clear, instead of using flowery language but obscuring your meaning. If you had similar issues with your PS as you've caused with your initial post, that may have contributed to your initial rejection.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Ok, your initial post was quite unclear, it made it sound like St Andrews had rejected you when they got your results, and you wanted them to reconsider.

I think I now understand that they rejected you when you applied last Autumn and you now want to use adjustment to see if they will give you a place.

Adjustment is a separate process to clearing and unis may offer courses in adjustment that are not in clearing. If you exceed your firm offer, then you will be eligible for adjustment and can contact participating unis. If a uni is not participating in adjustment, you can still contact them, but obviously they won't offer you a place.

Unis probably won't make it clear if they're participating in adjustment or not until results day- so don't worry if they don't have courses in clearing yet- it's a separate process.

There aren't any guarantees- but if you do get A*A*A* and the uni is in adjustment, you have a good chance of getting a place.

When you're communicating with unis, try to make sure you're being really clear, instead of using flowery language but obscuring your meaning. If you had similar issues with your PS as you've caused with your initial post, that may have contributed to your initial rejection.

Yeah, as I say I'm sorry I didn't mean to write something so unclear!

Okay so it's interesting that the universities in clearing are not the same as those in adjustment. I guess I'll have some time to work on my pitch, so to speak. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending