The Student Room Group

How was your first year law course?????

Hi guys, here are some questions that i desperately want to ask because i am extremely curious! For those of you who took law:

1. Which A level course did you all take?
2. What grades did you get?
3. Why did you choose law?
4. Did you enjoy your first year?
5. Which topic in particular fascinated you? And why?
6. If you could go back, what sort of things do you wish that you had known before choosing this course?
Reply 1
Original post by earikakarki
Hi guys, here are some questions that i desperately want to ask because i am extremely curious! For those of you who took law:

6. If you could go back, what sort of things do you wish that you had known before choosing this course?

1) History, Politics, Psychology, Biology (AS), EPQ
2) C, B, D, D, C
3) wasn’t smart enough to do medicine 😂
4) it was mainly fun
5) I liked contract and found criminal law interesting but have no interest in doing criminal law
6) “are you sure you don’t want to redo biology and be a paramedic but love the course so far
1) I didn't do A levels, I did Highers and Advanced Highers (Scottish equivalent of AS and A level, but only Highers count for uni grades. So technically in Scotland you can go to uni at 16/ 17). I did Higher Computing, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English and Advanced Higher Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
2) AAAAA at Higher, AAAB at Advanced Higher
3) I didn't. I chose Chemistry for my statement but had to send it off suuuper early because I applied to Oxford. When I was at the interview I realised Chemistry wasn't for me at all (this having gradually built up over time). So I firmed Edinburgh for Chemistry and changed to Law in fresher's week in 1st year.
4) Yes! Apart from Civil Law (Roman Law. Idk if you'd do this in England as Scotland is a hybrid civil law/ common law legal system and England is only common law).
5) Contract, Delict (Tort in England), Succession and Trust Law and Unjustified Enrichment. I also enjoyed Evidence but the exam was a sh*tshow.
6) Not sure really. I probably would have taken Advanced Higher English purely to learn how to properly reference things but I caught up pretty quickly.
May I ask which universities you recommend for law?

My “criteria” is the one’s that provide good student support, reputation/ranking, have the option for a year abroad and offer good catered accommodation.

Or just let me know your unis are like!
Original post by oneflewovertcn
1) I didn't do A levels, I did Highers and Advanced Highers (Scottish equivalent of AS and A level, but only Highers count for uni grades. So technically in Scotland you can go to uni at 16/ 17). I did Higher Computing, Maths, Physics, Chemistry and English and Advanced Higher Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics.
2) AAAAA at Higher, AAAB at Advanced Higher
3) I didn't. I chose Chemistry for my statement but had to send it off suuuper early because I applied to Oxford. When I was at the interview I realised Chemistry wasn't for me at all (this having gradually built up over time). So I firmed Edinburgh for Chemistry and changed to Law in fresher's week in 1st year.
4) Yes! Apart from Civil Law (Roman Law. Idk if you'd do this in England as Scotland is a hybrid civil law/ common law legal system and England is only common law).
5) Contract, Delict (Tort in England), Succession and Trust Law and Unjustified Enrichment. I also enjoyed Evidence but the exam was a sh*tshow.
6) Not sure really. I probably would have taken Advanced Higher English purely to learn how to properly reference things but I caught up pretty quickly.

Shame for Oxford to be missing out on you, wish they let students switch degrees. To be honest Chemistry is harder than Law so i’d argue you were more than qualified to do so. How was the interview process?
Original post by ohdearstudying
May I ask which universities you recommend for law?

My “criteria” is the one’s that provide good student support, reputation/ranking, have the option for a year abroad and offer good catered accommodation.

Or just let me know your unis are like!

I can't recommend any other than Edinburgh, but it's been fantastic so far. You get your own personal tutor who will meet with you at the drop of a hat to talk about anything degree related or otherwise.
Your catered accommodation in 1st year is Pollock Halls right next to Arthur's Seat. It's about a 15 minute walk from the main campus. I can't speak for it as I didn't stay there, but my parents did and that's where they met :tongue:
There's an option for a year abroad in 3rd year which I turned down only because I have a job in Edinburgh. I was going to go to Toronto in Canada but there are literally so many countries to choose from.
(edited 5 years ago)
Shame for Oxford to be missing out on you, wish they let students switch degrees. To be honest Chemistry is harder than Law so i’d argue you were more than qualified to do so. How was the interview process?

Ahaha, I'm quite glad I didn't get in least of all because I'd be 27K in debt (because I'm Scottish I get tuition fees paid at a Scottish university, yaaas). Scottish unis are SO much more flexible in regards to degree changes. You get a certain number of credits each year for your core subjects, and you can do what you like with the remainder. So I could have done a physics course on the side if I'd wanted (I very nearly did). This means you can technically switch courses after your 1st year (one of my friends did).
The interview process was... interesting. I forgot the formula for hydrochloric acid and was sitting there like a lemon until the interviewer politely drew me H- CL... but thanks to studying Advanced Higher I knew about stuff they weren't expecting me to like electron orbitals and pi bonds in molecules. But honestly my heart wasn't in it and I was under-prepared for interview technique (I went to a state school where the last person to go to Oxford or Cambridge was my sister 12 years before) and I think they could tell. My sister came with me (she'd been through the process at Cambridge) and she said as much on the way home. So yeah... certainly an experience.
Ahaha, I'm quite glad I didn't get in least of all because I'd be 27K in debt (because I'm Scottish I get tuition fees paid at a Scottish university, yaaas). Scottish unis are SO much more flexible in regards to degree changes. You get a certain number of credits each year for your core subjects, and you can do what you like with the remainder. So I could have done a physics course on the side if I'd wanted (I very nearly did). This means you can technically switch courses after your 1st year (one of my friends did).
The interview process was... interesting. I forgot the formula for hydrochloric acid and was sitting there like a lemon until the interviewer politely drew me H- CL... but thanks to studying Advanced Higher I knew about stuff they weren't expecting me to like electron orbitals and pi bonds in molecules. But honestly my heart wasn't in it and I was under-prepared for interview technique (I went to a state school where the last person to go to Oxford or Cambridge was my sister 12 years before) and I think they could tell. My sister came with me (she'd been through the process at Cambridge) and she said as much on the way home. So yeah... certainly an experience.

This might sound stupid...sorry if it is...are you closed as an international student?

Ahhhh! So do they operate in the major and minor way, so one of my friends did Fine Art with English Literature at Lancaster.

Physics??!! SO. MUCH. SCIENCE.

Oh my goodness, you did better than me, I’d have died at anything science related! To be honest, it’s better that you weren’t very “devoted” than had your heart set on it. Is there anything you would recommend (or your sister!) to make yourself as viable of a candidate as possible? And good on her AND you by the way!!

Also, is it easy to get to, the uni?
I can't recommend any other than Edinburgh, but it's been fantastic so far. You get your own personal tutor who will meet with you at the drop of a hat to talk about anything degree related or otherwise.
Your catered accommodation in 1st year is Pollock Halls right next to Arthur's Seat. It's about a 15 minute walk from the main campus. I can't speak for it as I didn't stay there, but my parents did and that's where they met :tongue:
There's an option for a year abroad in 3rd year which I turned down only because I have a job in Edinburgh. I was going to go to Toronto in Canada but there are literally so many countries to choose from.

I never thought of Edinburgh to be honest...that sounds amazing, seriously!

Awww your parents meeting there is so cute!! 💕💕

Wow, also good on you for getting a job! So are their university connections good? Also, I was a bit confused whether you learnt Scots law and whether it’s any different to British law (would it be suitable for someone who wants to work in London and go on to be a barrister?).

Thanks for the response by the way!!!
This might sound stupid...sorry if it is...are you closed as an international student?

Ahhhh! So do they operate in the major and minor way, so one of my friends did Fine Art with English Literature at Lancaster.

Physics??!! SO. MUCH. SCIENCE.

Oh my goodness, you did better than me, I’d have died at anything science related! To be honest, it’s better that you weren’t very “devoted” than had your heart set on it. Is there anything you would recommend (or your sister!) to make yourself as viable of a candidate as possible? And good on her AND you by the way!!

Also, is it easy to get to, the uni?

Not sure what you mean by 'closed' as an international student. I'm not an international student at all!
Err... kinda. You can choose courses like Law and French but that will take up all of your credits. I'm doing straight Law, so in 1st year I had 40/120 credits spare to do what I wanted. If you do Law and French then all of your 40 credits would go on French and you couldn't choose something random.
If you want advice on the Oxford interview process I'm probably not the best person to ask. I know a LOT of subjects have admissions tests (Chemistry didn't). I can't speak for Cambridge myself, but I think being truly passionate about your subject helps a LOT. Like actively doing extra reading on it, and having an intellectual conversation about your subject with your interviewer which shows that passion instead of learning what you think the interviewers want.
I'm going to answer your other questions on this thread. Scots and English law are different. There's no such thing as a 'British Legal System'. I'm not going to go into detail, but Scots law derives from Roman law whereas English/Welsh law derives from Anglo-Saxon traditions (although Scotland has pinched a few English parts making it a hybrid legal system - one of the few in the world besides Louisiana, Quebec and South Africa). There's a LOT of differences especially in property law, and there's no such thing as equity in Scotland. So think wisely before choosing to go to Scotland - it's amazing but if you do you'll have to do a one year conversion course in England.
Not sure what you mean by 'closed' as an international student. I'm not an international student at all!
Err... kinda. You can choose courses like Law and French but that will take up all of your credits. I'm doing straight Law, so in 1st year I had 40/120 credits spare to do what I wanted. If you do Law and French then all of your 40 credits would go on French and you couldn't choose something random.
If you want advice on the Oxford interview process I'm probably not the best person to ask. I know a LOT of subjects have admissions tests (Chemistry didn't). I can't speak for Cambridge myself, but I think being truly passionate about your subject helps a LOT. Like actively doing extra reading on it, and having an intellectual conversation about your subject with your interviewer which shows that passion instead of learning what you think the interviewers want.
I'm going to answer your other questions on this thread. Scots and English law are different. There's no such thing as a 'British Legal System'. I'm not going to go into detail, but Scots law derives from Roman law whereas English/Welsh law derives from Anglo-Saxon traditions (although Scotland has pinched a few English parts making it a hybrid legal system - one of the few in the world besides Louisiana, Quebec and South Africa). There's a LOT of differences especially in property law, and there's no such thing as equity in Scotland. So think wisely before choosing to go to Scotland - it's amazing but if you do you'll have to do a one year conversion course in England.

Sorry autocorrect, I mean “classed”. I think I will definitely visit Edinburgh and get in contact with their admissions to see whether I get a good feel to decide whether it’s worthwhile.

Thank you for all your advice! What sort of extra reading would suggest, I mean I’m not expecting book titles (that would be helpful 😂😂) but how can I ensure it’s related?

Mmm, I’m not sure whether i’d want to do a conversion course but then again I may love Edinburgh so....you never know!
1. History, English Language, Physics
2. Very poor
3. Academic Challenge, interested in all things law, like to be persuasive, solve a problem.
4. Absolutely loved it.
5. Tort Law - Negligence. Cant really put my finger on why I liked it, i just did. I liked all my modules to be honest.
6. Nothing.

If you wanna know anymore just give me a shout.
Reply 12
Original post by earikakarki

1. Law, English Language, Business
2. AS Law - A, C
A2 Law - waiting for results day
3. I want to be a solicitor, it's a challenging subject but it's one that I'm very passionate about
4. In AS Law, it was split into 2 units. Unit 1 was about Law making and the Legal system. I really enjoyed this unit as it had no scenarios and we learnt about how magistrates and jurors apply, the advantages of these laypeople, the literal/golden/mischief/purposive approach. In Unit 2, we learnt about Criminal and Tort Law. I disliked Tort Law, this section of the exam I found harder than Criminal Law. Criminal Law was OK.
5. Unit 1 was really easy so I found this the most interesting along This was the one I got an A in, it was more of an essay-based unit compared to Unit 2. I preferred writing non-scenario based essays than scenario essays as the scenarios required a lot of cases and acts to remember.
6. A level Law requires a very good memory and the best advice I can give to anyone who is considering taking Law at A level is that you must be prepared to remember around 80+ cases and acts. If you'd like to become a lawyer or study a degree related to law/legal professions, I'd highly recommend it as it gives you the basics of the law which is very useful. Or even if you don't want to go down the law career path, it's very useful to know about the law :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending