The Student Room Group

International fees

Hey!

I wanted to know: do you think that paying an international fee rate is worth it at Oxford uni?
To explain: for an international non-EU student, it would probably cost upwards of £80,000 for a three year degree which is.... A really large amount of money...

Obviously - even if I applied, I probably wouldn't get offered a place. I'm definitely not trying to insinuate that I would or anything like that! Equally, I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong answer - but it would be helpful to have some opinions.
So, I guess my question is: considering that it is so expensive, do you think an undergrad degree from Oxford is worth it?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ockclay
Hey!

I wanted to know: do you think that paying an international fee rate is worth it at Oxford uni?
To explain: for an international non-EU student, it would probably cost upwards of £80,000 which is.... A really large amount of money...

Obviously - even if I applied, I probably wouldn't get offered a place. I'm definitely not trying to insinuate that I would or anything like that! Equally, I'm not saying that there is a right or wrong answer - but it would be helpful to have some opinions.
So, I guess my question is: considering that it is so expensive, do you think an undergrad degree from Oxford is worth it?

International fees at other "top" universities are also high.

And check out the fee for Medicine at Cambridge... £70k per year plus college fees, and accommodation/living costs.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/fees#tuition
Original post by ockclay
Hey!

To explain: for an international non-EU student, it would probably cost upwards of £80,000 which is.... A really large amount of money...

You could always apply to an ivy league, far cheaper...$70,000 roughly a year, before books which runs about $2,000 a semester in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by Doonesbury
International fees at other "top" universities are also high.

And check out the fee for Medicine at Cambridge... £70k per year plus college fees, and accommodation/living costs.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/fees#tuition

Yes, I know! It's also so expensive... Is it worth it, though?
Because, well, putting yourself into that much debt before you can support a full-time job - that's a really large commitment.

(But - thank heavens that I'm not looking to do medicine at Cambridge! I thought £80k for three years at Oxford was bad! The thought of £70k per year just makes me shudder!!)
Reply 4
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You could always apply to an ivy league, far cheaper...$70,000 roughly a year, before books which runs about $2,000 a semester in the US.

I'm sorry - I realise that I probably didn't communicate very clearly! Optimistically, it would probably be around £80k for a three-year degree.
But - you're definitely right! I'll check out Ivy league, too, although I doubt I stand much of a chance of getting into one of those courses, either!
Reply 5

According to my pocket calculator $70k per year is not less than the OP's £80k total for their course.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by ockclay
Yes, I know! It's also so expensive... Is it worth it, though?
Because, well, putting yourself into that much debt before you can support a full-time job - that's a really large commitment.

(But - thank heavens that I'm not looking to do medicine at Cambridge! I thought £80k for three years at Oxford was bad! The thought of £70k per year just makes me shudder!!)

To be honest only you can really make that judgement call. More than 10% of Oxford undergrads are international so they must reckon it's worth it. :smile:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-students/current/overall-numbers?wssl=1
Reply 7
According to my pocket calculator $70k per year is not less than the OP's £80k total for their course.

Don't worry - I did understand that bit. But, even so, I think that you made a valid point about looking at other options. (Additionally, I've heard - although it may not be true - that it's easier to access financial assistance in the US).
I thought that it was my fault that I had worded my original question badly and caused a misunderstanding, but perhaps not haha. I'm extremely sorry for causing you the hassle!

To be honest only you can really make that judgement call. More than 10% of Oxford undergrads are international so they must reckon it's worth it. :smile:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/undergraduate-students/current/overall-numbers?wssl=1

But - really - thank you so much for your reply! It's really kind of you to have linked me these websites :smile:

I was being heavily sarcastic, (im an american in UK even though i am an EU student if education was better ranked and cheaper why wouldnt i be there? Im fully aware england is still cheap in comparison.) as in saying look at similarly ranked competition and in the air of oxbridge you do need to look to the ivy league for price comparisons, in order for OP to see he is getting value for money.
Reply 9
I was being heavily sarcastic, (im an american in UK even though i am an EU student if education was better ranked and cheaper why wouldnt i be there? Im fully aware england is still cheap in comparison.) as in saying look at similarly ranked competition and in the air of oxbridge you do need to look to the ivy league for price comparisons, in order for OP to see he is getting value for money.

You need stronger sarcasm skillz dude. I've read it 5 times and no sarcasm is detected. Must be your German genes coming through...

You need stronger sarcasm skillz dude. I've read it 5 times and no sarcasm is detected. Must be your German genes coming through...

Before books...who pays for books in europe? And $2,000 a semester is preposterous lol.
Reply 11
Before books...who pays for books in europe? And $2,000 a semester is preposterous lol.

Hilarous.
Original post by ockclay
Hey!

To explain: for an international non-EU student, it would probably cost upwards of £80,000 for a three year degree which is.... A really large amount of money...

FWIW, I (or more accurately, my family) paid international fees to do law at Oxford (undergrad + postgrad).

I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer per se. Whether it is "worth it" depends on so many factors (e.g. desired career path, personal motivation, how affordable 80k pounds is to you/your family).

In my case, I think it was worth it - I had a wonderful experience (which I don't think I would have gotten back home) and would do it all over again. I also don't think I'd be in my current job had I gone to a local university, and I knew I wanted the experience of studying overseas since I was in my early teens. At the same time, because it was so expensive, I also decided that I could only justify going overseas if the quality of education/ level of prestige I was going to get would be better than what I would have gotten at home.

TL: DR Your mileage will vary.
Reply 13
Original post by mishieru07
FWIW, I (or more accurately, my family) paid international fees to do law at Oxford (undergrad + postgrad).

I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer per se. Whether it is "worth it" depends on so many factors (e.g. desired career path, personal motivation, how affordable 80k pounds is to you/your family).

In my case, I think it was worth it - I had a wonderful experience (which I don't think I would have gotten back home) and would do it all over again. I also don't think I'd be in my current job had I gone to a local university, and I knew I wanted the experience of studying overseas since I was in my early teens. At the same time, because it was so expensive, I also decided that I could only justify going overseas if the quality of education/ level of prestige I was going to get would be better than what I would have gotten at home.

TL: DR Your mileage will vary.

Thank you so much - that's really helpful to know! And really kind of you to share your experience, too!

If you don't mind me asking - As I understand it, the law programme at Oxford is really good and has a high prestige. Are you aware of how some of their other humanities-based courses hold up?
Original post by ockclay
Thank you so much - that's really helpful to know! And really kind of you to share your experience, too!

If you don't mind me asking - As I understand it, the law programme at Oxford is really good and has a high prestige. Are you aware of how some of their other humanities-based courses hold up?

Overall, the perception is that Oxford is strong in humanities and social sciences. My friends seem to be pretty happy with the quality of their courses (which included History, PPE, E&M, English Literature and Geography amongst others). In general, if you like the tutorial system, it'll probably be a good fit education-wise.

It is also worth bearing in mind that at the end of the day, the vast majority of graduate jobs don't really care about which specific subject you studied at university. I'm of the view that it's the overall impression of the university + your individual grades and performance during interviews/ assessments that matter the most.
In part it depends on where you're from. For an American, Oxford is an absolute bargain, as has been pointed out. For many other countries, even if uni in your home country were free, I'd argue that the improved career prospects as a result of going to Oxford would vastly outweigh the temporary burden of loans. If loans aren't available, then I suppose it's entirely up to your parents and whether they can/are willing to pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending