The Student Room Group

70 Years of Our NHS.

70 years of our NHS. See the keyword I used there? "Our?" Because it's everyone's. It's help me and people I know in so many ways, I can imagine it's helped every TSR member in some way.

And I do not want the government to dismantle it. We the public, should not blindly let this happen. This government screwed our schools, our railways let's not let them screw the NHS any further.

Look how hard the nurses work, yet they go to food banks. Why?

There's a shortage of doctors in this country that they have to call supply doctors in. Why?

Waiting lists for patients are endless, most rarely get seen when they have a genuine condition. Why?

However, the government is not completely at fault. Members of the public have also been abusing the NHS. If people looked after themselves better, they would not get self inflicted illnesses and the NHS could focus on patients with genuine illnesses, such as a child with cancer.

Drunks, stumbling about the street on Saturday night, smashed their head on the pavement because they cannot be stable, due to the amount they drank. I understand this is apart of British culture but if they're going to get drunk on a Saturday night, or any night just sit down or something until they're stable. Don't roam the streets thats just asking for an accident.

Smokers. They damn well know, putting that cigarette in their mouth is doing them harm, it says it on the box yet they still do it. And they accept the NHS to treat them, because they harmed themselves?

I'm not saying these type of people don't deserve to be treated, moreover, they should pay for their treatment because it is self inflicted, they are aware of the harm they are doing. People with genuine conditions such as somebody with breast cancer are left unfairly waiting because these idiots cannot eliminate their bad habits, and are taking up hospital beds.

The NHS is falling apart. This is how we treat it after all it has done for us? I don't think we realize how lucky we actually are to have it.

Thank you NHS for everything :smile:
I would disagree that drunks roaming the streets are a part of our culture, although some do cause unnecessary strain.
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew97
I would disagree that drunks roaming the streets are a part of our culture, although some do cause unnecessary strain.

I didn't mean the drunks roaming our streets are apart of British culture, but just going out on a Saturday night and getting drunk is apart of British culture so many people do it.

That however, is one of the aspects of British culture I would not participate in.
Reply 3
Original post by Cod3tte
70 years of our NHS. See the keyword I used there? "Our?" Because it's everyone's. It's help me and people I know in so many ways, I can imagine it's helped every TSR member in some way.

And I do not want the government to dismantle it. We the public, should not blindly let this happen. This government screwed our schools, our railways let's not let them screw the NHS any further.

There's a shortage of doctors in this country that they have to call supply doctors in. Why?

Waiting lists for patients are endless, most rarely get seen when they have a genuine condition. Why?

However, the government is not completely at fault. Members of the public have also been abusing the NHS. If people looked after themselves better, they would not get self inflicted illnesses and the NHS could focus on patients with genuine illnesses, such as a child with cancer.

Drunks, stumbling about the street on Saturday night, smashed their head on the pavement because they cannot be stable, due to the amount they drank. I understand this is apart of British culture but if they're going to get drunk on a Saturday night, or any night just sit down or something until they're stable. Don't roam the streets thats just asking for an accident.

Smokers. They damn well know, putting that cigarette in their mouth is doing them harm, it says it on the box yet they still do it. And they accept the NHS to treat them, because they harmed themselves?

I'm not saying these type of people don't deserve to be treated, moreover, they should pay for their treatment because it is self inflicted, they are aware of the harm they are doing. People with genuine conditions such as somebody with breast cancer are left unfairly waiting because these idiots cannot eliminate their bad habits, and are taking up hospital beds.

The NHS is falling apart. This is how we treat it after all it has done for us? I don't think we realize how lucky we actually are to have it.

Hi there. Just to let you know I've moved this over to Debate and Current Affairs. Although the NHS is obviously health related the Health section is more for personal health while this thread appears to be more about discussing the NHS as an organisation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have personally had some great experiences with the NHS as well as less positive ones. I believe as a concept is is very good and believe it is one of the best things about this country... I do agree though that is is seriously hurting right now and that things need to be done to help it achieve it's potential and the concept behind it. I also agree that making that positive impact involves the efforts of both the government and the general population.
Original post by Cod3tte

I was born in March, 1948, just a few months before the NHS came in. As an abandoned baby - not uncommon at the time - I spent my young life in an orphanage with thousands of other children. Large children’s homes with children living in such close proximity to each other brought it’s own problems. TB, diphtheria, measles, polio were rife and saw many of my companions into an early grave. NHS came too late for them.
So, moving on now to our NHS today. As a child in care, I, again, with many of my companions suffered across the board abuse throughout our time in care. I have had to fight for counselling on the NHS, but because of the strain on Mental Health funding, it is only now, with the help of my university over the last three years that I have been able to access trauma counselling.
Let me address your point over the ‘being drunk on a Saturday night bring part of British culture’. I have had to access A&E a few times, both for myself or for one or two of my grandchildren. Yes, I’ve had a couple of drunks trip over my feet. But, do you know what, I think you have the cheek of the devil to generalise about ‘British culture’ when you have participitated in a thread on TRS - you know the one I mean - where you have persistently defended your culture in respect of the hundreds of white, working class women and girls who have been subjected to grooming by a certain culture to which you yourself belong. There is no doubt that there is a strain on the NHS and I have no issue with a drunk on a Saturday night in A&E. Further strain will come about due to the hundreds if not thousands of women and girls who have to live their lives due to the actions of someone else and the cost both emotionally and financially. Your hypocrisy is astounding.
Original post by Cod3tte

Good question, why do nurses go to foodbanks? The minimum salary for a nurse is £22k a year. I have managed to live on less than that perfectly comfortably without going to a foodbank and being able to save money so ... yeah why indeed?
Original post by limetang
Good question, why do nurses go to foodbanks? The minimum salary for a nurse is £22k a year. I have managed to live on less than that perfectly comfortably without going to a foodbank and being able to save money so ... yeah why indeed?

Because after essentials like a car, designer clothes and a summer holiday they don’t have enough to buy food.
Original post by Cod3tte

Want to back any of those assertions up with some facts?

Original post by Cod3tte

Because they don’t get paid enough. Why? Because it’s a government job.

Original post by Cod3tte

Because nobody wants to work in the bloomin’ NHS when they can go abroad, to places like Australia, Canada, Dubai and America, where they are respected much MUCH more, and earn 3-5 times as much as they do in our nationalised system.

Original post by Cod3tte

Because the NHS is inefficient. Want to know why it’s inefficient…because the government is essentially in charge of it. Also due to shortage of staff and resources as I mentioned above.

Original post by Cod3tte

You’re right. I wonder why people don’t look after themselves better? Why do people eat even when it makes them unhealthy? Could it be because if they get unwell they know that the taxpayers will subsidize their awful life decisions? Could it be because if they fall ill they know strangers will cover all their medical expenses? If they actually had to god forbid maybe pay a bit for their healthcare, do you think they would carry on shovelling food down their throats, not exercising, recklessly drinking and eating unhealthily? Food for thought.

Original post by Cod3tte

There you go, you’re starting to get it now. Do you think if smokers were charged for their healthcare they would try and stop smoking?

Original post by Cod3tte

Exactly! Obese people and smokers consume 40% of the NHS’ resources

Quick Reply

Latest