The Student Room Group

What do you think about KPop?

- Do you like it?
- Why do you think KPop is so popular around the world?
- Any KPop bands that you have heard of or listened to?
- Positives/negatives of KPop

Scroll to see replies

I like it - not love. I listen to BTS, Blackpink and sometimes Exo, iKon, etc. Whatever happens to play. I’ve always liked listening to music in different languages and I like the style. It’s soft but also has a good tune? and the language is beautiful.

I feel like a lot of its popularity is because all the idols are beautiful - whether it’s natural or not, they have a flawless aesthetic and so much of their career is about their looks and aesthetics. Also they are trained so hard to be perfect...

I like that we’re growing and accepting new cultures but in a way I prefer some other idols that are more natural and realistic, rather than trained meticulously. With kpop focusing so much on body image, it’s hard not to be self-concious of your body.

As music, I really like it, but the whole “culture” of it... not so much.

BTW I mean no offence by any of this. I have great respect for kpop idols and everything they do, and I do listen to them a lot of the time - BTS is one of my favourite bands.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
I like it - not love. I listen to BTS, Blackpink and sometimes Exo, iKon, etc. Whatever happens to play. I’ve always liked listening to music in different languages and I like the style. It’s soft but also has a good tune? and the language is beautiful.

I feel like a lot of its popularity is because all the idols are beautiful - whether it’s natural or not, they have a flawless aesthetic and so much of their career is about their looks and aesthetics. Also they are trained so hard to be perfect...

I like that we’re growing and accepting new cultures but in a way I prefer some other idols that are more natural and realistic, rather than trained meticulously. With kpop focusing so much on body image, it’s hard not to be self-concious of your body.

As music, I really like it, but the whole “culture” of it... not so much.

BTW I mean no offence by any of this. I have great respect for kpop idols and everything they do, and I do listen to them a lot of the time - BTS is one of my favourite bands.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. My own views are quite similar to yours too. I also like listening to music from different countries in various languages. My fave band is also BTS but I also like SHINee and BTOB and I listen to many others like iKON and EXO.
Original post by Serendipity13
Hi! Thank you for your reply. My own views are quite similar to yours too. I also like listening to music from different countries in various languages. My fave band is also BTS but I also like SHINee and BTOB and I listen to many others like iKON and EXO.

Oh cool! I guessed you liked BTS based on your username😂
I haven’t heard of SHINee or BTOB - I’ll make sure to check them out tomorrow :smile:
I think that KPop belongs in Music, not Chat. :wink:
I'm new to the whole KPop thing but I love it. I prefer foreign language songs as I enjoy learning what the lyrics mean in English and finding about references that only make sense in the original language. Right now I'm only into BTS and Blackpink but I'm enjoying the music.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I think that KPop belongs in Music, not Chat. :wink:

I'm sorry! Thank you for moving the thread :-)
I got a boy on my chin
Original post by bfm.mcdermott
Oh cool! I guessed you liked BTS based on your username😂
I haven’t heard of SHINee or BTOB - I’ll make sure to check them out tomorrow :smile:

Haha! Yeah I really liked that song as well as other ones from their last album as well as their latest one.

Check them out! They're both good! SHINee debuted back in 2008 so they've been in this industry for a while and they celebrated their 10th anniversary in May. Sometimes I feel like BTOB is a little underrated but they're still well known in Korea. They've both released their new albums too.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MaioftheBlizzard
I'm new to the whole KPop thing but I love it. I prefer foreign language songs as I enjoy learning what the lyrics mean in English and finding about references that only make sense in the original language. Right now I'm only into BTS and Blackpink but I'm enjoying the music.

I'm pretty new too. Well I started having an interest around October time last year and a month later I decided to check it out! The rest as they say is history 😁

Yep! Same here :-)

Nice to meet some ARMYs here on TSR! 💜
I've listened to a few songs by Blackpink but in terms of girl groups I prefer TWICE and Red Velvet. There are other bands that I like too but they have disbanded already :frown:
fake and manufactured
Original post by hannah00
fake and manufactured

I respect your opinion but could you please expand on this a little bit more.
Tbh I don’t know any of the alleged K-Pop artists the locals are listing apart from Skinny LOONA and BLACKPINK

🤓🤓😂
Original post by Serendipity13
I respect your opinion but could you please expand on this a little bit more.

Have you heard of this british-irish band called the saturdays ? Basically a bunch of photogenic individual singers brought together to make a band by a music label, heavily use autotune and cash in.

The band has no real message, history or personal story in their songs. The goal for the muslim label is just to make money.

I feel like a large percentage of k pop follows this model

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35368705

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/other-industries/south-korean-singer-kim-jonghyun-is-the-latest-victim-of-the-ruthless-kpop-industry/news-story/e7f1a2effca5303286a6eaa1d9c2e820
worst thing ever - brainwashing lil kids in year 7 and 8 - their lives are sad af.
Just another genre of music which has nothing to do with musical ability. The talent goes to the bottom and the b*llshit gets popular.
Reply 16
Original post by Afforestation
Just another genre of music which has nothing to do with musical ability. The talent goes to the bottom and the b*llshit gets popular.

I think that's an unfair opinion.
Reply 17
I think it's weird and I can't see the appeal
Plastic
Main genre I listen to, I like how it’s just happy and makes me wanna dance and be all cute 😂
But... I don’t get the BTS hype 🤷🏽*♀️🤷🏽*♀️🤷🏽*♀️
My faves are Jay Park, Momoland, Wanna One, TWICE... I like a lot tho tbh. I don’t obsess tho, idek any of the members I just listen bc it makes me happy :smile: I like the odd music video that I see on IG, but I don’t actively watch them.

Quick Reply

Latest