The Student Room Group

Do you actually know any Sri Lankan Tamil people? How close are you to them?

I'm wondering about the prominence of Sri Lankan Tamils among British people.

I tend to identify as generalised (racial?) Indian personally and I feel like I've "Indianised" as part of growing up in the UK. Most of my extended family and Sri Lankan friends (Tamil and Sinahlese) also do something similar, so you may not even know that someone around you is actually Sri Lankan Tamil unless you're friends with them or close to them.

Population figures seem to have as at a maximum of 200,000 in the UK, with declining birth rates (i.e. two parents have only one child being normal). We're spread out into towns and cities with the highest concentration of Sri Lankan Tamils being found in the London area of Kingston-Upon-Thames which is roughly 6% Sri Lankan Tamil, though personally I don't associate the area with Tamils as it's mainly Korean/Japanese and I tend to think of Harrow as being the "centre" of Sri Lankan Tamils because the latter has so many Indians and the culture is practically the same.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I know one Sri Lankan Tamil girl. She was one of my flatmates in my first year of university. I consider her my best university friend :smile:
I didnt even know sri lanka was a country and now your asking me if I know individual ethnic groups of said country.
There are a few in my year group
Original post by hannah00
I didnt even know sri lanka was a country and now your asking me if I know individual ethnic groups of said country.

LOOOOL
i was friends with one in primary school but that’s about it tbh

Always you, isn't it?? Ignorance at its finest😂😂
Original post by EA7_
Always you, isn't it?? Ignorance at its finest😂😂

haha another stalker.
I dont even know who you are, you just some voyeur to me.

majority of british people do not know every country in asia. Stop trying to create arguments because you have no life
(edited 5 years ago)
haha another stalker.
I dont even know who you are, you just some voyeur to me.

majority of british people do not know every country in asia. Stop trying to create arguments because you have no life

Nothing about you appeals to me.. in fact, I try my best to avoid repulsive people like you it's just someone has to make you aware of how ridiculous your behaviour is...Your profile pic is very unique lol and you just happen to be talking **** all the time on all the threads I open..also, no one expects you to know every country..it's just you sound very condescending

I'm a voyeour to you?🤣🤣 Even if you went naked in front me, I wouldn't be aroused..eugh... that's how disgusting I find you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by EA7_
Nothing about you appeals to me.. in fact, I try my best to avoid repulsive people like you it's just someone has to make you aware of how ridiculous your behaviour is...Your profile pic is very unique lol and you just happen to be talking **** all the time on all the threads I open..also, no one expects you to know every country..it's just you sound very condescending

why is it that all misogynistic losers are also stalkers. Typical fedora wearing nice guy

who the **** are you ? like what is this obsession you have. Literally something wrong with you. you need to learn to mind your own business, take you ego down to primark level. I dont care how many times you write about me in your little diary, your boring and im not interested in you

I know you stalkers get off on this, so dont expect a reply back in the future.
why is it that all misogynistic losers are also stalkers. Typical fedora wearing nice guy

who the **** are you ? like what is this obsession you have. Literally something wrong with you. you need to learn to mind your own business, take you ego down to primark level. I dont care how many times you write about me in your little diary, your boring and im not interested in you

I know you stalkers get off on this, so dont expect a reply back in the future.

I said even if you went naked in front of me, I wouldn't be aroused.... that's how disgusting I find you..do you get that??😂😂
I bet you're some keyboard warrior. Do you have any friends honestly??
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by EA7_
I said even if you went naked in front me, I wouldn't be aroused.... that's how disgusting I find you..do you get that??😂😂
I bet you're some keyboard warrior. Do you have any friends honestly??

Think you're the keyboard warrior here, weirdo
I didn't know Kingston-upon-Thames had so many Sri Lankan Tamils!

I don't have any Sri Lankan Tamil friends or acquaintances because I went to a very white uni. My younger sister has quite a few close Tamil friends, some Indian and some Sri Lankan :yes:
Reply 13

Sri Lanka only became a country after colonialism. For some reason, the British never saw it fit to merge Sri Lanka with India, though I think it's partially because they wanted to appease the ruling European elite on the island at the time the conquered it, which would have been of either Dutch or Portuguese descent. Prior to colonialism, we were just another landmass closely connected to the mainland with various empires ruling the territory (akin to the Roman Empire and the UK). I think there's currently a political motion happening in Sri Lanka to form a politco-economic union with India.
Original post by rhaegar450
Think you're the keyboard warrior here, weirdo

Lol..if you say so.. btw look at the last two posts above this.. that's how you respond to a thread..very well put and no sense of condescendence..
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I didn't know Kingston-upon-Thames had so many Sri Lankan Tamils!

I don't have any Sri Lankan Tamil friends or acquaintances because I went to a very white uni. My younger sister has quite a few close Tamil friends, some Indian and some Sri Lankan :yes:

I reckon that most Sri Lankan Tamils live in mainly ethnic-British areas so I think most people who know Tamils would be in a similar position to you. I have no idea why we're so spread out though.
Original post by hailye
I'm wondering about the prominence of Sri Lankan Tamils among British people.

I tend to identify as generalised (racial?) Indian personally and I feel like I've "Indianised" as part of growing up in the UK. Most of my extended family and Sri Lankan friends (Tamil and Sinahlese) also do something similar, so you may not even know that someone around you is actually Sri Lankan Tamil unless you're friends with them or close to them.

Population figures seem to have as at a maximum of 200,000 in the UK, with declining birth rates (i.e. two parents have only one child being normal). We're spread out into towns and cities with the highest concentration of Sri Lankan Tamils being found in the London area of Kingston-Upon-Thames which is roughly 6% Sri Lankan Tamil, though personally I don't associate the area with Tamils as it's mainly Korean/Japanese and I tend to think of Harrow as being the "centre" of Sri Lankan Tamils because the latter has so many Indians and the culture is practically the same.

Wait, people are identifying as entirely different races now?
Reply 17
Wait, people are identifying as entirely different races now?

Pakistanis have turned it into an art it seems.
Original post by hailye2
Pakistanis have turned it into an art it seems.

So because they do it you can too? Indians are mostly indo-aryan and sri lankan tamils are dravidians, you can visibly see the difference (skin tone for example).
Reply 19
So because they do it you can too? Indians are mostly indo-aryan and sri lankan tamils are dravidians, you can visibly see the difference (skin tone for example).

Pakistanis don't even have the genetics of most Bangladeshis. Pakistanis are basically a mixture of Middle Eastern and Indian. I can't tell what country most Paksitanis come from, no-one confuses a South Indian.

Anyway, South Indians are more Indian than Pakistanis, who tend to be too affected by Middle Easterners to be considered Indian. If you look at a good genetics study or face shape study, you'll see what I mean.

Under your proposal, we'll have bus loads of Middle Easterners trying to claim they are "Indian" when Pakistanis are already too much for Indians to bear. Best to keep the line at the line-of-control.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest