The Student Room Group

Oxford law reading list

JJ
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jamesfletcher150
Hi,
I’ve been offered a place to study law at Trinity College Oxford, starting in October. My place is conditional on my grades, but I was hoping to get ahead on reading during the holiday whilst I have some free time. I was therefore wondering if any past oxford law student, or even any law students in general, had a copy of the reading list they were given for the first year. I know there might be a few changes, but I’m sure any extra reading will be beneficial anyway. I believe my first two modules will be Roman Law and Constitutional Law, so if anyone has any recommendations for an introduction to these that’d also be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
James

I don't have a reading list but congrats on getting in!!! What were you grades?
They’ve asked for AAA but I have to wait until August to find out if I get the grades! Thanks

honestly in awe of you for getting in! I’m just ending year 11 and it’s my dream!

Any tips for the application process? Did you do any preliminary reading to prepare you?

Wow I’m so impressed!!

Is AAA a typical offer for Oxford? I thought it was A*AA :smile:

Congratulations again!
Haha, thank you for the kind message, I was so suprised when I got the letter saying I got an offer! I did do some reading, but tried to do a range of things such as visit the courts, get work expereince, and generally find related to law. The overall aim is to show the tutors that you have a genuine interest in the subject. I can only pass on advice from my own experience, but I don’t think there’s any ‘magic formula’ of an application other than showing that you really want to study the course.
For Law AAA is currently the standard offer, although I’ve heard it might be changing?
Are you thinking of applying for law or just general Oxford advice? I’m happy to offer an help I can give you either way, or more specific advice for Law if that’s the case
James

Hiya!

I can see from your response and how helpful you are it is definitely well deserved (in my humble opinion😂). I’m on the hunt for work experience, any advice or recommendations on law firms or as to how I should secure it? No no, definitely not, which is what I respect about Oxford there isn’t a way to “cheat” the system per se. Visiting courts, does that mean just observing cases etc?

I really want to apply to Oxford for Law, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,
Thank you very much. For work experience I didn’t really have any direct contacts who worked in law so asked all my friends if they had any parents or family or friends that they’d be willing to put me in contact with. It seemed not to work at first but eventually I found a friend who’s dad knew someone, and he gave me someone at the firms email address, and it all worked out from there. My mum also spoke to someone who used to be our neighbour who is a lawyer and that also worked out. I was quite worried about not having work expereince as neither of these fell into place until quite late on, however in retrospect and having spoken to people at interview it’s not as crucial as I first thought. It’s certainly a good thing to be able to write and talk about, as it shows you’ve actively gone and pursued your interests, but the skills are possibly less applicable for Uni as they are for your legal career in the long run.
For visiting courts, most local courts and crown courts will have a public gallery that you can just go and watch. I don’t know where you live, so this might not be possible, but I went and visited the Old Bailey in London during the summer, the cases there are much more interesting. Again, this is by no means compulsory, you just want a few things to be able to talk about in your personal statement.
For reading, one thing I did that might have made a difference for my personal statement was I read H.L.A Hart’s ‘the Legal Concept’ which is about jurisprudence. There are other similar books you can read but Hart’s work is well recognised, but isn’t seen as a ‘basic’ book. The best bit about this is that Oxford’s course focuses on jurisprudence, so it shows the tutor that you’re not only interested in studying law, you’re interested in law at Oxford!
More general advice, start your personal statement early, no later than this sort of time in the summer between Yr11 and 13, that way you have a comfortable amount of time to redraft (believe me you’ll do this way more times than you’d imagine).
Get advice from teachers, I’m not sure what your schools like and if you have good support, but I’m sure there’ll be people that have experience with Uni applications that will be more than happy to help, and don’t be scared to ask them multiple times to look over it and get advice.
If you’d like my email adress or Facebook for any specific questions or help now or nearer to the time I’d be more than happy to help. Hopefully this is useful,
James

Hiya James,

Thank you for all the information!

I am hoping to secure some work experience from a barrister at the council but there’s a lawyer I know who may be able to help but I’m so awkward about asking! It’s probably less crucial than many of us Year 11 borderline 12s and all the way to the day of beginning uni think (when you finally meet other candidates). Old Bailey is a really good idea, so would you write about this or is this more for you to just understand? I live in London as well!

I will definitely have a look at the book you’ve suggested, I’m planning on reading Letters from a Law student or something! What a good thing to happen though!! It makes sense to read into what the course is about! I wouldn’t know where to start for my personal statement and I am hoping my sixth form are helpful with this.

If I could have your email address or Facebook (or both 🙈 if that’s not too weird) that would be amazing! I’ll send you a PM if suitable :smile:
Reply 5
I'm studying a different subject, so this may not apply, but I remember that the reading list I was sent prior to starting first year was the same as the one on the faculty website, so maybe have a look on the Law website and see if they've got one?
Reply 6
OP, if you want to do some preliminary reading over the holiday, your best option is to contact the college and ask them what they recommend. Some colleges write to incoming students with some suggestions for reading.
What GCSE's did you get?
Hi,
I’ve been offered a place to study law at Trinity College Oxford, starting in October. My place is conditional on my grades, but I was hoping to get ahead on reading during the holiday whilst I have some free time. I was therefore wondering if any past Oxford law student, or even any law students in general had a copy of the reading list they were given for the first year. I know there might be a few changes, but I’m sure any extra reading will be beneficial anyway. I believe my first two modules will be Roman Law and Constitutional Law, so if anyone has any recommendations for an introduction to these that’d also be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
James

My honest answer as a former Law student: I wouldn't bother with any pre-reading if I were you. My college sent me a list, I pretty much ignored it, and still ended up doing just fine. Oxford Law is a LOT of work, and I would focus on properly enjoying the summer if I were you. You'll never get a full holiday off again (except for Easter post-Mods) because of collections (pre-term mock exams).

If you do feel somewhat compelled to do some preparatory work, I think the only thing I would recommend reading is maybe the basic principles to criminal law.
Congrats! I’m very happy to hear of your success. I’m aiming to apply for Law at Trinity for entry 2019.

I am a Scottish state School student where no one goes to Oxbridge, so I am up against the odds, especially as my teachers don’t have a clue how to help.

I am very keen to study Jurisprudence. I enjoy academic conversations and feel this course would suit me and play to my strengths. I started my PS in January and I feel it’s looking good, but I have nothing to compare it with.

I am President of a debating society and have made it through to competition finals. I have had work experience shadowing a solicitor and have entered an Oxford legal reasoning essay competition. Any other tips?

Can I please ask what made you apply to Trinity. Any tips for the interview? (Fingers crossed)

Huge thanks!
10 A*’s 3 A’s
Original post by ohdearstudying
Hiya James,

Thank you for all the information!

I am hoping to secure some work experience from a barrister at the council but there’s a lawyer I know who may be able to help but I’m so awkward about asking! It’s probably less crucial than many of us Year 11 borderline 12s and all the way to the day of beginning uni think (when you finally meet other candidates). Old Bailey is a really good idea, so would you write about this or is this more for you to just understand? I live in London as well!

I will definitely have a look at the book you’ve suggested, I’m planning on reading Letters from a Law student or something! What a good thing to happen though!! It makes sense to read into what the course is about! I wouldn’t know where to start for my personal statement and I am hoping my sixth form are helpful with this.

If I could have your email address or Facebook (or both 🙈 if that’s not too weird) that would be amazing! I’ll send you a PM if suitable :smile:

[email protected]
That’s very kind of you to reply.

May I also ask what format the interview took? Legal case studies/going through PS etc? What do you think made you stand out?

I have visited Trinity briefly on the Law Open day and was very taken by it. I’m also an accomplished musician and see it offers practice facilities, which is a definite plus point for me.

Thanks!
Hi,
I’ve been offered a place to study law at Trinity College Oxford, starting in October. My place is conditional on my grades, but I was hoping to get ahead on reading during the holiday whilst I have some free time. I was therefore wondering if any past Oxford law student, or even any law students in general had a copy of the reading list they were given for the first year. I know there might be a few changes, but I’m sure any extra reading will be beneficial anyway. I believe my first two modules will be Roman Law and Constitutional Law, so if anyone has any recommendations for an introduction to these that’d also be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
James

Congratulations on being accepted, that’s amazing! It’s been my dream to study law at Oxford for ages, I’ve just finished year 11. Would I be able to message you directly with a few questions about the application process and Trinity college? Well done again x
Just resurrecting this thread......
I also am lucky enough to have a conditional law offer at Trinity this October. Would anyone be able to pass on a precourse reading list?
Many thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending