The Student Room Group
Inotropes or vasopressors??

Original post by It's****ingWOODY
So the experienced medical professionals are struggling, and you thought it might be a good idea to come to a student forum for a second opinion?

She asked in the Current Medical Students and Doctors section. There are a few doctors on here so maybe they’ll know or give advice.
Original post by Mrs House
She asked in the Current Medical Students and Doctors section. There are a few doctors on here so maybe they’ll know or give advice.

"Excuse me - I just asked for advice on a student forum and they said to do it like this..."

"Okay, wow, why didn't we think of that! Your mother is saved!"

Don't see the above conversation taking place, somehow... OP is likely not in a good headspace right now, though, so the thread is understandable but with the lack of medical history available, it's not a good idea for any of us to be giving any sort of advice.
(edited 5 years ago)
Yeah, as I said in my post just above, OP probably isn't in a great headspace if her mum is very ill, I'm sure if she was thinking clearly then she'd realise asking for advice on a forum with n background whatsoever isn't the best option. People do some crazy things when they're upset, so fair play, I think my first post was a bit harsh tbh.
Salt will raise the blood pressure. I’m presuming she’s on IV sodium chloride? How much is she drinking? What’s her systolic and diastolic figures? If the systolic is 80 then yeah it’s low. How much urine is she excreting? You’re better off asking three doctors or nurses on the ward because we don’t know the fine details. Don’t worry OP :smile: check her patient documentation (folder by the bedside)
(edited 5 years ago)
Very true. I have since edited my post. We don’t really know how long she’s been on fluids. That’s why PMH is so important.
OP needs to talk to the doctors or nurses. Are you a med student?
Cool! I had to search the abbreviations lool. Are you working on a ward?
Oh no it’s okay lol. Nice!! You have really good knowledge. I’m not a medical student, year 1 student nurse.
actu
Original post by lyra1987
I am having a very stupid moment.

My mum is in hospital at the moment and they are struggling to get her blood pressure out of the 80s. Despite aggressive IV fluids she's still really low. Worried that she's at risk of being flooded. But what else could be done to raise her BP?

Most of my experience is in the surgical side of things so I am not so good with the medical management of hypotension.

If you're actually a Doctor which I doubt you are you could literally just ask one of your colleagues for advice?
Oh aw thank you :hugs: I appreciate that so much! I don’t think I’m doing very well but to hear that from you is very admirable :biggrin: I just hope I survive the 3 years and qualify to become an exceptional nurse because that’s what I want to be. I think I lack common sense sometimes. I’m due to start my AMU placement and I’m sure I’ll be tested. I feel like I’ve forgotten everything I encountered in my first placement :zomg: do you have experience of what AMU is like?

Latest

Trending

Trending