The Student Room Group

A-level requirements

What A-levels am I required to have other than government and politics to study political science in university?
Look at the the university’s requirements.
You may need English. Or maybe something like Geography would be useful, since global governance may be part of the syllabus and so may be useful.
political science doesn't have any specific a level requirements
Original post by sovitha
What A-levels am I required to have other than government and politics to study political science in university?

Hello!

As a politics graduate myself, I can say that in nearly all cases, universities will not specify a particular A-Level subject requirement for politics degrees.:smile:

Some A-Levels have more applications to politics than others; subjects like History, Sociology or Geography are examples, particular when compared with science or language A-Levels.

However, you should never feel put off applying for a politics course just because your A-Levels aren't overtly political. If you meet the grade requirements, and you can demonstrate a genuine interest and understanding of the subject in your personal statement, your chances are as good as anybody's. Universities want students who really care about their subject areas more than they want people who have studied the 'right' A-Levels. :u:

Hope this helped! Which politics courses have you been taking a look at? :h:

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Reply 4
Original post by sovitha

Look up the unis you want to go to and find their entry requirements. Since, these requirements can vary from uni to uni.

Im guessing humanities based is “ideal”, but i don’t think there are set requirements. But check to be sure.
Reply 5
Original post by exhaustedstudent
Look at the the university’s requirements.
You may need English. Or maybe something like Geography would be useful, since global governance may be part of the syllabus and so may be useful.

Original post by University of East Anglia PG Student Rep
Hello!

As a politics graduate myself, I can say that in nearly all cases, universities will not specify a particular A-Level subject requirement for politics degrees.:smile:

Some A-Levels have more applications to politics than others; subjects like History, Sociology or Geography are examples, particular when compared with science or language A-Levels.

However, you should never feel put off applying for a politics course just because your A-Levels aren't overtly political. If you meet the grade requirements, and you can demonstrate a genuine interest and understanding of the subject in your personal statement, your chances are as good as anybody's. Universities want students who really care about their subject areas more than they want people who have studied the 'right' A-Levels. :u:

Hope this helped! Which politics courses have you been taking a look at? :h:

Fred - UEA PG Rep

Thank you so much for your reply it really helped . Wich uni did you go to ? And whats the difference between politics and political science ?
Reply 6
Original post by richageorge
political science doesn't have any specific a level requirements

Thank you so much for your reply it really helped .whats the difference between politics and political science ?
Reply 7
Original post by sovitha
Thank you so much for your reply it really helped . Wich uni did you go to ? And whats the difference between politics and political science ?

Original post by MKaur18
Look up the unis you want to go to and find their entry requirements. Since, these requirements can vary from uni to uni.

Im guessing humanities based is “ideal”, but i don’t think there are set requirements. But check to be sure.

Thank you so much for your reply it really helped .whats the difference between politics and political science ?
Reply 8
Original post by sovitha
Thank you so much for your reply it really helped . Wich uni did you go to?

Hey again :smile:

I studied politics at the University of East Anglia for my undergraduate degree :h:

Original post by sovitha
whats the difference between politics and political science ?

These words do have slightly different meanings; politics generally refers to the practice of government and related activities, whilst political science generally refers to the study of this practice. But let's not get confused - in terms of degree titles, they're simply 2 names for the same area of study :smile: Whichever name the course has, it will generally involve the study of political systems, political thought, qualitative analysis and other related concepts. :biggrin:

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Fred - UEA PG Rep
Original post by sovitha

Im not sure as I didn’t do anything related to a politics degree. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending