The Student Room Group

Missed offer- what to do?

I applied for law and had a condition of 35 with 766 at HL (I do the IB). I managed to get 41 overall points but only 666 at HL. I have called the university on the day I got my results but was told to wait for A levels results day. However, I have heard that some others have called KCL and were given an offer/rejection on the spot.

Since the phone call, I have contacted KCL via their portal/through email reiterating my desire to study at the uni as well as informing them of sending my HL history paper off for a remark (3 marks off a 7). As it was the weekend, they have not replied. I was wondering if I should call again today or if I should hold off and wait until at least Wednesday? Some of my friends who met conditions told me that their Track has been updated so I assume that they are in the midst of accepting those with offers and considering those who haven't made offers- wouldn't it then be better to call later since they would have a clearer picture of how many spots they have. Would it also be extremely annoying to have me constantly call?

What else can I do besides calling the university up again? I have written an appeal letter and have asked one of my teachers to send one in on my behalf as well.Sorry if this is frazzled but I am really freaking out right now.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by infiinitee_
I applied for law and had a condition of 35 with 766 at HL (I do the IB). I managed to get 41 overall points but only 666 at HL. I have called the university on the day I got my results but was told to wait for A levels results day. However, I have heard that some others have called KCL and were given an offer/rejection on the spot.

Since the phone call, I have contacted KCL via their portal/through email reiterating my desire to study at the uni as well as informing them of sending my HL history paper off for a remark (3 marks off a 7). As it was the weekend, they have not replied. I was wondering if I should call again today or if I should hold off and wait until at least Wednesday? Some of my friends who met conditions told me that their Track has been updated so I assume that they are in the midst of accepting those with offers and considering those who haven't made offers- wouldn't it then be better to call later since they would have a clearer picture of how many spots they have. Would it also be extremely annoying to have me constantly call?

What else can I do besides calling the university up again? I have written an appeal letter and have asked one of my teachers to send one in on my behalf as well.Sorry if this is frazzled but I am really freaking out right now.

Universities usually accept students with a dropped grade. However it depends on how many others have met their offers. Kings wont know this until the A level results are in. It is no point trying to pressure them as this might be counter productive and end up with you being rejected. A level results arent in until August and they are the largest body of applications to UK universities. The only thing you can do is wait. I suspect you may well then be offered a place there
Original post by swanseajack1
Universities usually accept students with a dropped grade. However it depends on how many others have met their offers. Kings wont know this until the A level results are in. It is no point trying to pressure them as this might be counter productive and end up with you being rejected. A level results arent in until August and they are the largest body of applications to UK universities. The only thing you can do is wait. I suspect you may well then be offered a place there

Hi thank you for your quick response. As law is such a competitive course (especially at KCL) I'm a little worried. I do agree that it might be counter productive and that is my current view right now. Just a quick question, would they usually give out answers only in August (even for IB students)? This is as wouldn't they have allocated a certain quota for IB students already and the quota was not filled with those meeting their offers, wouldn't they be able to confirm the places of some that has missed their offer? Furthermore, would international students be favoured over home students due to them having to pay higher fees?
Hi thank you for your quick response. As law is such a competitive course (especially at KCL) I'm a little worried. I do agree that it might be counter productive and that is my current view right now. Just a quick question, would they usually give out answers only in August (even for IB students)? This is as wouldn't they have allocated a certain quota for IB students already and the quota was not filled with those meeting their offers, wouldn't they be able to confirm the places of some that has missed their offer? Furthermore, would international students be favoured over home students due to them having to pay higher fees?

They way I read it is that you are still under consideration as they havent rejected you and that is a good sign. As far as whether they would take foreign students before British I cannot give a definitive answer but often under clearing courses are shown as available only to international students so again it sounds hopeful. The probably have not committed in case the course will be full but in practice most courses at most universities accept 1 dropped grade. The exceptions are usually Oxbridge, Imperial, St Andrews and Durham. International applies to non EEC. EEC tend to be treated like UK students. If international quotas were an issue they would have rejected you immediately and not be waiting for A level results
(edited 5 years ago)

If you are having a remark you need to make sure they know. They're likely to be sitting tight on making a decision because they want to review how the A-level students do. However, if you're getting a remark they need to honour that and by that, I mean, they can't reject you at this stage.

It's worth being persistent and confirming that you have a remark - I'd put this in writing to admissions and ask for proof of receipt by asking them to reply.

If you have something new to tell a uni during clearing it is always better to call. Unis get a really high volume of emails at times, so stuff does get missed.

You need to call the uni ASAP to tell them about your remark. If they know about this, they will probably hold your place until 31st August to give you a chance to get this sorted. If they don't know about your remark (which they may not, as they may not have seen the email), they may reject you anyway.

I think the uni are being pretty unfair making you wait until A-level results day, so I wouldn't worry about annoying them. Personally, I think it's fine to call them every couple of days- they won't reject you for being annoying.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if you really want to go to KCL except wait and see if they will accept you. I do think they're not treating you well, keeping you hanging like this.

Do you have an insurance choice, and have you met the conditions for that?
Reply 6
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think the uni are being pretty unfair making you wait until A-level results day, so I wouldn't worry about annoying them. Personally, I think it's fine to call them every couple of days- they won't reject you for being annoying.

It's pretty standard really :smile: and calling frequently probably isn't a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
It's pretty standard really :smile: and calling frequently probably isn't a good idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, but even if it's standard, I think it's unfair to keep someone hanging for over a month.

Unis deal with enough students that I don't think they'd notice someone calling every couple of days. If they've got nothing new to tell the uni, obviously it's pointless, but I'd be very surprised if it backfired on the uni.
Original post by swanseajack1
They way I read it is that you are still under consideration as they havent rejected you and that is a good sign. As far as whether they would take foreign students before British I cannot give a definitive answer but often under clearing courses are shown as available only to international students so again it sounds hopeful. The probably have not committed in case the course will be full but in practice most courses at most universities accept 1 dropped grade. The exceptions are usually Oxbridge, Imperial, St Andrews and Durham. International applies to non EEC. EEC tend to be treated like UK students. If international quotas were an issue they would have rejected you immediately and not be waiting for A level results

Thank you so much for your reply! They have replied my appeal email with the same message telling me to wait but have made a note that I am remarking my history papers!
Original post by She-Ra
If you are having a remark you need to make sure they know. They're likely to be sitting tight on making a decision because they want to review how the A-level students do. However, if you're getting a remark they need to honour that and by that, I mean, they can't reject you at this stage.

It's worth being persistent and confirming that you have a remark - I'd put this in writing to admissions and ask for proof of receipt by asking them to reply.

They have just confirmed that they have received my email and have made a note of me applying for a remark on my application. Thank you so much for your help!
Sorry, but even if it's standard, I think it's unfair to keep someone hanging for over a month.

Unis deal with enough students that I don't think they'd notice someone calling every couple of days. If they've got nothing new to tell the uni, obviously it's pointless, but I'd be very surprised if it backfired on the uni.

Why is it unfair? They get fined if they over-offer places. Until A level results they won't know how many confirmed students they have.
If you have something new to tell a uni during clearing it is always better to call. Unis get a really high volume of emails at times, so stuff does get missed.

You need to call the uni ASAP to tell them about your remark. If they know about this, they will probably hold your place until 31st August to give you a chance to get this sorted. If they don't know about your remark (which they may not, as they may not have seen the email), they may reject you anyway.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do if you really want to go to KCL except wait and see if they will accept you. I do think they're not treating you well, keeping you hanging like this.

Do you have an insurance choice, and have you met the conditions for that?

Hi! Unfortunately, that does seem to be the norm after hours of scouring for information regarding this. Thank you for your kind words and comfort. I have an insurance choice and have made conditions but will probably not be going there.
They have just confirmed that they have received my email and have made a note of me applying for a remark on my application. Thank you so much for your help!

That's great, I'm so glad they have responded.

Keep us updated on your remark, would be lovely to know how you get on and how KCL respond. If you need any other help further down the line, we are here.
Thank you so much for your reply! They have replied my appeal email with the same message telling me to wait but have made a note that I am remarking my history papers!

Sounds good. Hopefully your remark brings your grade up to where you need it to be.

Original post by Muttley79
Why is it unfair? They get fined if they over-offer places. Until A level results they won't know how many confirmed students they have.

It's totally unfair to leave a student hanging for over a month. A-levels haven't changed drastically this year so they will have reliable predictions about what will happen on A-level results day. Obviously these will have a margin for error built in, but they do know roughly how many students will make the grade on results day.

Student number caps haven't existed in England for years. Obviously the uni will have their own limit in their head that they won't want to go over, but they won't get fined for exceeding this.
It's totally unfair to leave a student hanging for over a month. A-levels haven't changed drastically this year so they will have reliable predictions about what will happen on A-level results day. Obviously these will have a margin for error built in, but they do know roughly how many students will make the grade on results day..

No its not - everyone taking IB knows this risk and some unis [like Durham] keep people waiting for ages even after A levels. They won't want TOO many students to fit in lecture rooms etc

Many A level courses are on new specs so they cannot use historic trends and anyway these have failed spectacularly in the past.
(edited 5 years ago)
No its not - everyone taking IB knows this risk and some unis [like Durham] keep people waiting for wages even after A levels. They won't want TOO many students to fit in lecture rooms etc

Many A level courses are on new specs so they cannot use historic trends and anyway these have failed spectacularly in the past.

Just because unis have a history of treating people badly, doesn't make it OK. I think everyone agrees the way Durham treats near misses is wrong.

I agree that there is a practical cap on student numbers which each uni won't want to go over, but it's nothing like how things used to be when unis would rather be a student or two under than a student or two over from a financial perspective.

Most unis do use statistical projections to inform how they deal with offers from September on wards. Occasionally they fail, but they're usually pretty accurate. I don't think the changes between specs are enough to completely change trends. It's a smaller change than going from modular to linear A-levels, for example.
I don't think the changes between specs are enough to completely change trends. It's a smaller change than going from modular to linear A-levels, for example.

The linear changes are exactly what I'm talking about! More subjects this year with no 'history' to track.

The OP will just have to wait it out just as others doing A levels have to wait their results - it's swings and roundabouts imho.
Hi so I've been doing some research and Durham is currently offering clearing for law (apparently?). Would it be wise for me to opt out of KCL now and apply for Durham as Durham is a good university and I would be much happier going there than my insurance. KCL is still my dream school so I'm torn.
Hi so I've been doing some research and Durham is currently offering clearing for law (apparently?). Would it be wise for me to opt out of KCL now and apply for Durham as Durham is a good university and I would be much happier going there than my insurance. KCL is still my dream school so I'm torn.

My personal view is you should wait as I suspect you will get in even though nobody can give you a guarantee of that
The linear changes are exactly what I'm talking about! More subjects this year with no 'history' to track.

The OP will just have to wait it out just as others doing A levels have to wait their results - it's swings and roundabouts imho.

But they've had a previous sitting so unis will have some idea about how they map on to previous year's results. Anyway, I don't think this debate is helpful to the OP.

I can't find anything that suggests Durham is offering law spaces in clearing right now. Currently they're not advertising any clearing vacancies.

The list of universities offering clearing spaces for law is here: https://digital.ucas.com/search/results?SearchText=law&filters=Destination_Undergraduate&ProviderText=&SubjectText=&AutoSuggestType=&SearchType=searchbarbutton

This is Durham's current clearing page :https://www.dur.ac.uk/study/ug/applicants/clearing/

If you would rather go into clearing than to your insurance choice, then you also need to get out of your insurance place (it doesn't disappear until your firm has rejected you). It's much easier to do this if you contact the uni involved and UCAS before 17th July.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending