The Student Room Group

Graduate course in medicine

I am coming to the end of my open uni BSc in nursing and really want to study medicine at a grad level. I don't have any A levels as this was not a pre requisite to get onto the nursing course.
Cambridge is my closest uni and as such would really like to apply here. I have seen their requirements and as such I am put off by their requirements as they want me to have A level chem at A or above plus at least one other in another science or math subject.
Has anyone else got any experience of this or in a similar situation that they could shed some light on as to what you did in order to gain a place at this university.
I have plenty of healthcare experience and believe this could help speak volumes (or at least I would hope) but this would probably only be considered at an interview stage.
Am I mad in thinking they would even consider me should I get upwards of a 2:1 without these pre requisit A levels or should I just bite the bullet and persue these A levels before even thinking about applying ?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Rezello
I am coming to the end of my open uni BSc in nursing and really want to study medicine at a grad level. I don't have any A levels as this was not a pre requisite to get onto the nursing course.
Cambridge is my closest uni and as such would really like to apply here. I have seen their requirements and as such I am put off by their requirements as they want me to have A level chem at A or above plus at least one other in another science or math subject.
Has anyone else got any experience of this or in a similar situation that they could shed some light on as to what you did in order to gain a place at this university.
I have plenty of healthcare experience and believe this could help speak volumes (or at least I would hope) but this would probably only be considered at an interview stage.
Am I mad in thinking they would even consider me should I get upwards of a 2:1 without these pre requisit A levels or should I just bite the bullet and persue these A levels before even thinking about applying ?

Cambridge is one of the most competitive universities in the country, and grad level medicine is also incredibly competitive. If they have entry requirements you do not have and do not even come close to having, it is very unlikely they would consider your application.

You could contact the uni and see if they would waive this requirement due to your practical experience, but I think this will be very unlikely- most successful applicants will also have a lot of practical experience.
Original post by Rezello

They won't make exceptions I'm afraid. Lots of applicants have firsts AND have met the A level requirement. Why would they make an exception for someone who hasn't met the requirements when they have an excess of applicants who have?

My advice would be to consider other med schools. If you have a 1st/2:1 and relevant healthcare experience and get a good UKCAT/GAMSAT score, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get an offer elsewhere. Have a look here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 3
Original post by Volibear
Where else are you planning to apply?

I have looked into Nottingham
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
They won't make exceptions I'm afraid. Lots of applicants have firsts AND have met the A level requirement. Why would they make an exception for someone who hasn't met the requirements when they have an excess of applicants who have?

My advice would be to consider other med schools. If you have a 1st/2:1 and relevant healthcare experience and get a good UKCAT/GAMSAT score, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get an offer elsewhere. Have a look here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2032/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

This is pretty much what I was expecting I know I'm clutching at straws but wondering what others have experienced in the past
Reply 5
You don't have the best chances with Cambridge. Do you actually want to study medicine there, or is it just because it's the closest medical school? GEM is competitive enough. If you can avoid it, don't restrict yourself by location.

Il be honest it is about location for me and I don't want to restrict myself but I need to think about the practicalities as I do have a family. It may be that I need to put this idea on the back burner for a bit as the timing could be better and I do need to be realistic about my chances but I would like to study medicine before I'm 50! I do want a decent amount of years left to practice after graduating ha ha.
Reply 6
I understand. I suspected having a family was probably the reason and it's completely understandable that you don't want to uproot anybody. In this case, have you considered standard courses? They are a lot more expensive but you'd have more flexibility (depending on where you are).

No I haven't to be fair, do you mean the undergrad courses or is there something I've missed that could be more suitable?
Reply 7
Technically speaking standard entry courses (i.e. the ones school leavers apply to) and GEM are both undergraduate courses. But yeah I mean the five year courses. If Cambridge is your closest, I assume you're from somewhere in Cambridgeshire. Depending on where you could always consider UEA (trek though), Anglia Ruskin in Essex, or communiting to the London medical schools? Bar the London medical schools, there are no other GEM courses within reasonable distance of Cambridge.

It's not the route I was really considering I would have thought there would be a lot more competition due to the shear amount of school leavers that would be applying compared to the grad entry, but then again there's a lot less places for grad entry so it's swings and roundabouts I guess. I did look at this one, what are your thoughts?

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/medicine/graduate-entry-medicine-bmbs.aspx
Reply 8
Don't quote me on this but not every medical school will rank you against school leavers. Some will, others will rank you just against graduates. Of the two (GEM and normal entry), it's the least competitive, a main reason being because most people can't afford it!

Well Nottingham is most likely going to be one of my choices so I say go for it :lol: ! What they look for in an applicant is straightforward. Minimum 2:2, GAMSAT above the cutoff, and proof of work experience. Only issue is the commute to Nottingham I guess...

Yes this would be perfect if it was on the door step like Cambridge is !
Hi @Rezello,

We can offer some advice if you were interested in studying at UEA. We have the following policy:

Graduates and Other Higher Degree Qualifications

Graduate applicants should hold or be in the final year of their undergraduate degree and predicted to achieve a 2.1 classification or above, in addition to meeting the GCSE, A level and UKCAT requirements. We are unable to accept an application with a 2.2 or below classification anywhere in their educational history. An Access to Higher Education or a Master's / PhD qualification does not negate this requirement.

We require proof of sound knowledge of science at A level. Therefore, Graduates must have achieved the minimum grades of ABB/AAC, including Biology/Human Biology grade A, in the first sitting. If A level Biology/Human Biology is not taken in the original sitting at Sixth Form, Applicants need to demonstrate competence in Biology. This can be demonstrated by:

o Achieving grade A in A Level Biology OR

o Undergraduate level study of Biology/Physiology or equivalent as part of their degree OR

Approved Access course.

Level 3 qualifications not accepted: General Studies, Citizenship Studies, Leisure Studies, Applied Science, Critical Thinking and BTEC qualifications

Only Mathematics or Further Mathematics at A level will be considered not both.

Applicants studying for a Master’s degree or PhD at the time of application must meet the undergraduate degree requirements outlined above. The Master’s degree or PhD must be fully and successfully completed with satisfactory verification by 31st August 2019. If you are in this situation, please check that you are able to meet this deadline before applying for a place on this MB BS course.

Graduate Requirements

Access/Pre-Medical Programmes

We welcome applications from students holding or studying for one of the following Access/Pre-Medical qualifications who are 19 years or over;

The College of West Anglia (Access to Medicine)

Lambeth College (Access to Medicine & Biomedical Science)

City and Islington College (Access to Medicine & Medical Bio Sciences)

The Manchester College (Access to Medicine)

Bradford University (Foundation in Clinical Science/Medicine)

Sussex Downs University (Access to Medicine)

City of Liverpool University (Access to Science)

Truro and Penwith College (Access to HE Medicine)

We require 75% overall and 75% in each module or Distinction in 45 credits at level 3. For any applicant offering an Access qualification who also holds A levels, these must be at ABB, and attained at first sitting irrespective of subjects (excluding General Studies,Critical Thinking and Citizenship Studies). For any applicant offering an Access qualification who also holds a degree, this must be at 2:1 or higher.

So, in short, for UEA you would have the choice of taking A Level Biology or doing one of the approved Access Courses. You will also need to meet the GCSE requirements. You can find out more information on our website: MBBS Medicine.

I hope this information is useful to you :smile:

Best of luck!

-Sian, UEA Official Rep

Latest

Trending

Trending