The Student Room Group

Why don't we hear about the "black" slaves of the British Empire?

In the US there are still race issues because of slavery.

Some of the "black" humans who live there still go on about slavery.

Why doesn't this happen in the UK?

I've never heard anyone talk about the British slave trade.

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AvatarMew
In the US there are still race issues because of slavery.

Some of the "black" humans who live there still go on about slavery.

Why doesn't this happen in the UK?

I've never heard anyone talk about the British slave trade.

I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering.

Because they have been cleverly edited out of history. The history of the Empire was about grand and lofty adventures with very small points about slavery or the evil acts against slaves.
Why is black in speech marks?
Original post by Rainfall
Why is black in speech marks?

They don't have black skin, they have brown skin.
Because slavery became a very american proposition, the UK didnt do it in their home country or find anywhere else where only one specific race was enslaved. The slaves in other nations were typically just "working class/poor". However, the US didnt have enough of a working class in its beginnings, even though people were poor, the rich wanted cheaper labour for hard jobs and could bring over slaves cheaper then actually normal people.

Similar to right now, for manual labour farms would rather have bulgarians or romanians pick fruit then hire germans, Less qualified and requiring less pay.

Slaves were perfect, they had no economic desires/etc. They were simpleton people, it also helped and make the exploitation of raw materials in Africa easier, as the strongest men were sent to america.
Original post by Wired_1800
Because they have been cleverly edited out of history. The history of the Empire was about grand and lofty adventures with very small points about slavery or the evil acts against slaves.

That's what my father told me.

Yeah but they’re still black. Idk who decided to call us black instead of brown but it is what it is and we’re black. But anyways, I was just wondering.
My teenagers have been studying British Black Slavery for the last 2 years. Its on the national curriculum at both primary and high school. Im not sure why you think it isnt discussed, it is, in great depth along with the USA segregation and slavery issues. I think that Black segregation throughout the 20th century in the USA (so within living memory) is possibly 1 reason why its discussed more there. This didnt happen in the same way in the UK as a general rule although there was a lot of racism with places such as boarding houses discriminating against specific sections of society. i.e. anyone not white and English. The USA still has large areas where the Black population is still treated badly by the white population. Im mixed race and Im always shocked when I hear of the issues people have in other countries even today. Ive never felt that I dont have the same opportunities as my husband, had I been brought up in the USA I may feel very different about this.
More to the point (since any slave imported into Britain became instantly a free man), why does nobody complain about the import and ownership of slaves into South America? That trade dwarfed the North American trade. Or the Arab slave trade?
Reply 9
Because Britain didn't have a Ku Klux Klan. Because, ever since the Victorian age in particular, a liberalising tradition has been more tied to who is in power that perhaps was the case in the supposed land of the free America.

And (I might be wrong) we didn't regularly treat people from other countries brought here as being substantially inferior or without some free will.
Queen Victoria, for instance, had a totally willing and happy black servant living and working in the grounds of a property most people could only dream of.

hear, hear! and "white" people are not white! :smile:

Disagree there’s an entire GCSE History section on black slavery under the empire, it’s well taught nowadays. Perhaps the black people here have assimilated better and don’t feel the need to cling on to something from years ago
Original post by Shalommmmmmmm
Disagree there’s an entire GCSE History section on black slavery under the empire, it’s well taught nowadays. Perhaps the black people here have assimilated better and don’t feel the need to cling on to something from years ago

Nah, that is nowadays. It got recently included because it was omitted for decades. Also, if you don't take GCSE History, you would be largely ignorant of the horror of the slave trade. Imagine if the Holocaust was limited to a particular school subject, there would be chaos, hence why it is shown on TV and there is a Holocaust Memorial Day.

There are generally two types of black people, those who are ignorant to their history and those who aren’t. Those who are aware of their history have been calling for more discussion and reparations for slavery. These people are now being called “radicals”. A good example is a guy called Akala.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Because slavery became a very american proposition, the UK didnt do it in their home country or find anywhere else where only one specific race was enslaved. The slaves in other nations were typically just "working class/poor". However, the US didnt have enough of a working class in its beginnings, even though people were poor, the rich wanted cheaper labour for hard jobs and could bring over slaves cheaper then actually normal people.

Similar to right now, for manual labour farms would rather have bulgarians or romanians pick fruit then hire germans, Less qualified and requiring less pay.

Slaves were perfect, they had no economic desires/etc. They were simpleton people, it also helped and make the exploitation of raw materials in Africa easier, as the strongest men were sent to america.

I think you might want to reconsider your use of the words 'normal' and 'simpleton'.
Nah, that is nowadays. It got recently included because it was omitted for decades. Also, if you don't take GCSE History, you would be largely ignorant of the horror of the slave trade. Imagine if the Holocaust was limited to a particular school subject, there would be chaos, hence why it is shown on TV and there is a Holocaust Memorial Day.

There are generally two types of black people, those who are ignorant to their history and those who aren’t. Those who are aware of their history have been calling for more discussion and reparations for slavery. These people are now being called “radicals”. A good example is a guy called Akala.

Akala is an absolute mongoloid. There’s no point calling for reparations for slavery, you don’t see the Armenians calling for it for the Armenian holocaust. Black people weren’t the only race to be slaves yet they are the ones claiming free money because most struggle to do anything productive with their lives. Silly argument to be held back in your mind by the events of the past, why not progress with society. Plus to claim reperations from a government consisting of people who had nothing whatsoever to with slavery is absurd lol
Original post by Shalommmmmmmm
Akala is an absolute mongoloid. There’s no point calling for reparations for slavery, you don’t see the Armenians calling for it for the Armenian holocaust. Black people weren’t the only race to be slaves yet they are the ones claiming free money because most struggle to do anything productive with their lives. Silly argument to be held back in your mind by the events of the past, why not progress with society. Plus to claim reperations from a government consisting of people who had nothing whatsoever to with slavery is absurd lol

That is stupid. The Jews got reparations for the Holocaust. The Armenians have been calling for it, but their experience is yet to be recognised as an official genocide.

Black countries are within their rights to call for reparations because the current western governments and people have benefitted from the fruits of slavery. If you doubt it, why dont western nations destroy the infrastructure that were built over the centuries and start over. Then come back to tell me how much chaos there will be.
Original post by ageshallnot
I think you might want to reconsider your use of the words 'normal' and 'simpleton'.

Im a black american, its a holistic realistic viewpoint. Your in no place to comment on.
Original post by MadamePompadour
My teenagers have been studying British Black Slavery for the last 2 years. Its on the national curriculum at both primary and high school. Im not sure why you think it isnt discussed, it is, in great depth along with the USA segregation and slavery issues. I think that Black segregation throughout the 20th century in the USA (so within living memory) is possibly 1 reason why its discussed more there. This didnt happen in the same way in the UK as a general rule although there was a lot of racism with places such as boarding houses discriminating against specific sections of society. i.e. anyone not white and English. The USA still has large areas where the Black population is still treated badly by the white population. Im mixed race and Im always shocked when I hear of the issues people have in other countries even today. Ive never felt that I dont have the same opportunities as my husband, had I been brought up in the USA I may feel very different about this.

Times must be changing. We weren't taught anything of British Slavery when I was at school - a few months ago, I had someone tell me gleefully that there was never a Black British Civil rights movement in the UK. A damn adult, no less.

Glad that teenagers are learning now. What area of the UK do they study in?

That is absolutely not true at all. I've known for years about the british slave trade and in fact I had to study it for gcse history. Where the heck did you get the impression that it has been 'cleverly edited out'????
Original post by MadamePompadour

Was the discrimination at the elite public schools? I know that certain schools have preferential treatment for children of old pupils. Also, do you think this discrimination still exists today within the private school system?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending