The Student Room Group

found a better job

i currently got accepted by asda last week, and I am due to start tomorrow.
However I just got a call today for another job which pays more and is closer to my house and if I pass the interview stage I would really like to accept them.

How can I quit my asda job even though I just got accepted and about to start tomorrow?
Look in your contract and see how much notice you need to give. If the new employer asks when you can start, tell them you need 2 weeks (or however long the notice period is) notice before leaving your current job. Then tell Asda you're leaving.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by D.SHA64
However I just got a call today for another job which pays more and is closer to my house and if I pass the interview stage I would really like to accept them.

How can I quit my asda job even though I just got accepted and about to start tomorrow?

Assuming you're happy not to work for this particular ASDA store again in the near future, you just give your notice (usually one pay period) and resign. You tell your new job you won't be available until X date.

It does burn some bridges with ASDA, but assuming both jobs are just short term plans, this isn't really a big deal.
Original post by D.SHA64

First tell me how you applied. I need a another Job. xD

Second. Why would you quit? you havent been accepted for the 2nd Job yet, they might choose to not take you. I would wait first.
Reply 4
Original post by joyoustele
First tell me how you applied. I need a another Job. xD

Second. Why would you quit? you havent been accepted for the 2nd Job yet, they might choose to not take you. I would wait first.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
Assuming you're happy not to work for this particular ASDA store again in the near future, you just give your notice (usually one pay period) and resign. You tell your new job you won't be available until X date.

It does burn some bridges with ASDA, but assuming both jobs are just short term plans, this isn't really a big deal.

Original post by Student-95
Look in your contract and see how much notice you need to give. If the new employer asks when you can start, tell them you need 2 weeks (or however long the notice period is) notice before leaving your current job. Then tell Asda you're leaving.

I got an offer for the job!
What shall I write on my resignation letter for leaving my job at Asda?
BTW thanks for the advice guys
Original post by D.SHA64
I got an offer for the job!
What shall I write on my resignation letter for leaving my job at Asda?
BTW thanks for the advice guys

You don't have to put a reason.

All the resignation letters I've written have been literally one sentence long (plus greeting and sign off).

"Dear XXXX or Dear Sirs

I wish to terminate my employment at XXXXX. My notice period is one week/one month and my final day will be [DATE].

Yours sincerely or Yours faithfully

Your name"

If I had a good relationship with my line manager I'd talk to them about my reasons for leaving (especially if I wanted to use them as a referee in the future).

Your resignation letter is just about putting your wishes in writing and confirming everything. You don't need to talk about your reasons.
Reply 6
You don't have to put a reason.

All the resignation letters I've written have been literally one sentence long (plus greeting and sign off).

"Dear XXXX or Dear Sirs

I wish to terminate my employment at XXXXX. My notice period is one week/one month and my final day will be [DATE].

Yours sincerely or Yours faithfully

Your name"

If I had a good relationship with my line manager I'd talk to them about my reasons for leaving (especially if I wanted to use them as a referee in the future).

Your resignation letter is just about putting your wishes in writing and confirming everything. You don't need to talk about your reasons.

what if they ask me verbally?
Original post by D.SHA64
what if they ask me verbally?

Just tell them whatever you like. You can tell them that you've been offered a better job, if you want. It's a big company, so I doubt staff will take it personally.

If I thought someone was likely to react negatively I'd say something vague but truthful like "my circumstances have changed and this job no longer works for me". This is true- your circumstances have changed as you've been offered another job.

I'd be apologetic (after all, you have messed them around a bit) but not overly so, and only tell them what you fell comfortable sharing. If at any point someone starts guilt tripping you or telling you off, you can end the conversation.
Dont make a fool of yourself, and get the other job first. Then and only then put your asda notice in.
Reply 9
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Dont make a fool of yourself, and get the other job first. Then and only then put your asda notice in.

Done.
But as I have only worked for asda's for a week the notice period is a month, so im afraid of both jobs clashing in working hours.

Just tell them whatever you like. You can tell them that you've been offered a better job, if you want. It's a big company, so I doubt staff will take it personally.

If I thought someone was likely to react negatively I'd say something vague but truthful like "my circumstances have changed and this job no longer works for me". This is true- your circumstances have changed as you've been offered another job.

I'd be apologetic (after all, you have messed them around a bit) but not overly so, and only tell them what you fell comfortable sharing. If at any point someone starts guilt tripping you or telling you off, you can end the conversation.

Thank you soo much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending