The Student Room Group

Training Contract for International Students. IMPORTANT QUERY

Hello.

I'm going to study Law (LLB) in UK from this Sept. I have heard about many negative reviews about prospects for International students in securing a training contract. I'm really very anxious and worried, Is it true that it is impossible for international students to secure a training contract? Could you please rate prospects of international student securing a training on basis of 1-10?
I'm quite a hard worker and I'm willing to work hard.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on your grades prior to Uni (to be safe, it's whatever is equivalent to AAB at A Levels in the UK) and getting a 2.1 or higher in your degree. Also get as many extra curricular stuff and internships as you can
Reply 2
International student that got a TC here, PM me and I will see how much I can help.
Reply 3
im an intl student who recently secured a tc as well, happy to ans your queries :smile:

Original post by Ibii97
Hello.

I'm going to study Law (LLB) in UK from this Sept. I have heard about many negative reviews about prospects for International students in securing a training contract. I'm really very anxious and worried, Is it true that it is impossible for international students to secure a training contract? Could you please rate prospects of international student securing a training on basis of 1-10?
Reply 4
Original post by kalntax
International student that got a TC here, PM me and I will see how much I can help.

Hello there.Thanks for offering help. I'm an international student going to study Law at University of Central Lancashire.I really want to know how hard is it for international students to secure a training contract? Did you go for self funded LPC/ BPTC? Would you like to offer me any tips? :smile:Thanks :smile:
I know of quite a number of non-EU students who secured TCs while at university, with a smaller number securing them after graduation. They usually either had excellent grades (a 1st) or excellent work experience or both.
Reply 6
Hey, I'm in the same position too. However, I'm currently in my final year of the LLB which I'm doing in my home country with the University of London (international programmes). I plan to go to Manchester to do the LPC after but I want to know my chances of securing a training contract there? Can you give me some advice?
Also, would it help much it I managed to get a 1st class hons in my LLB?
Original post by Ibii97
Hello.

i'm an international student and landed a TC with a big firm in the City. firms don't care where you're from. just have the grades and be better than others at interviews.
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
The difficulty you will have is that there will be time out between your LPC and training contract.

The vast majority of firms who offer TCs to international candidates recruit 2-3 years in advance of the training contract starting (firms are just about to open their September 2019 through to September 2020 intakes).

There are complications from a visa process for those who aren't converted straight from a student visa to a work visa, but it still isn't impossible. You'd ultimately have to return home for a period of time and your visa would have to be sorted in your home country.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thanks for replying to my question. I have a few others:- 1) I see that BPP Law School boasts of a 'Career Guarantee' stating that if after the University has used reasonable means (preparing you for interviews etc) and you haven't gotten a TC within 6 mths they offer a free course. I wanted to know if this applied to international students as well and even if it were, is it just a hoax? Does BPP really have something to offer that other LPC providers don't? 2) I know that most students who secure TCs are still in Uni so that the firm pays for their LPC studies too. If I apply for a TC after having paid for my own LPC studies, do you think it's more likely that a firm would consider me given that they don't have to cover such costs, despite the late application? 3) I've also seen that some providers offer pro bono opportunities to their students. If I take part (also because I want the experience) does this open up a pathway for me to apply to firms? What I mean is, would firms look favourably at this or would it not really have an impact on my chances of getting a TC as an intl student. 4) Finally, I know that in the past intl students had to compete with not only UK but also EU students and the firm had to show that the intl student had something that the UK/EU did not possess. I'm wondering with the whole Brexit fiasco, even though nothing has been finalised - would I still be against UK and EU applicants or just UK applicants now. Thanks so much again! Really appreciate your responses!
Reply 9
Hello guys !

I would like to know if it's possible for an international student to secure a TC, with only an LLM from a University (in the Russel group). Even though the LLB is a oversea qualifying law degree. I know I must then pursue a GDL and LPC. But the fact that my LLB is from a foreign country (France) would be a disqualifying criteria ?

Thanks for you help!
Original post by J-SP
Not an issue at all and definitely doesn't disqualify you. Many firms will have around 50% of their intake needing to complete the GDL, so that's not the issue.

The main thing is trying to explain why you going to commit to life/a career in the UK if you have only lived there for a year.

Alright, thank you for your answer :smile:
Original post by kaye88
im an intl student who recently secured a tc as well, happy to ans your queries :smile:

Hello ! Please can you tell me more about visa requirements. Is it true that we have to find a training contract offering more than 30.000 pound per year minimum ? As they recently raised the "appropriate salary" required.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Reply 12
Hello!

I am also an international student who will be transferring to a Russell Group university this coming September to complete my LLB degree as I am doing a credit transfer programme in my home country. I am also interested in gaining a training contract but I am facing a few difficulties:-

First of all, I did not meet the minimum requirement of Alevels that most firms want in the UK which is ABB, I only got a CDD for my Alevels. Will my Alevel results affect my application while trying to secure a training contract despite I've gained a 2:1 in my 1st and 2nd year? Also, I am not looking for any big firms as I know I am not academically qualified to enter as well.

Secondly, if I intend to start LPC in September 2018, does it mean I have to start my application now in order to gain a 2019 TC? As I will be graduating in June 2018.

Furthermore, what if I didn't secure any TC and still go ahead and complete my LPC, as I don't mind working as a paralegal in any of the firms in England & Wales until I get a TC. Any pieces of advice for doing so?

Thank you!!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by chanmg
Hello!

I am also an international student who will be transferring to a Russell Group university this coming September to complete my LLB degree as I am doing a credit transfer programme in my home country. I am also interested in gaining a training contract but I am facing a few difficulties:-

First of all, I did not meet the minimum requirement of Alevels that most firms want in the UK which is ABB, I only got a CDD for my Alevels. Will my Alevel results affect my application while trying to secure a training contract despite I've gained a 2:1 in my 1st and 2nd year? Also, I am not looking for any big firms as I know I am not academically qualified to enter as well.

Secondly, if I intend to start LPC in September 2018, does it mean I have to start my application now in order to gain a 2019 TC? As I will be graduating in June 2018.

Furthermore, what if I didn't secure any TC and still go ahead and complete my LPC, as I don't mind working as a paralegal in any of the firms in England & Wales until I get a TC. Any pieces of advice for doing so?

Thank you!!

I think we need to be brutally realistic about your prospects. As an international student (and I'm assuming you are from outside the EEA) you will need a Tier 2 visa to work in the UK, both during a TC and afterwards. That means you would need to find a TC with a firm that holds a sponsor licence, AND one that is also willing to sponsor a tier 2 visa for you. To achieve the latter you will need to be better than that firm's other TC candidates.

The sort of firms that are willing to sponsor trainees, are also the ones that are most competitive. They are simply not going to accept A level grades of CDD. These grades are a major problem for your future prospects.

In my view, the likelihood of you securing both a tier 2 visa and a training contract are so low, that it would be financial madness for you to spend a fortune studying the LPC if you have not secured a training contract. By all means try applying for some TCs this year but if you are unsuccessful then I would strongly recommend that you try to qualify as a lawyer in your own country rather than investing time, money and emotion trying to qualify in the UK.

Sorry.
Original post by kalntax

Can we keep intouch? As I got 1st degree in Business management from UK in 2016. Got back to India,Now I'm looking foward to apply for trainee roles in England
hi i'm an international student and taking the LPC in the coming year. just wondering if you can please tell me how you can get a TC in UK? thanks
Original post by kaye88

hi i'm an international student and taking the LPC in the coming year. just wondering if you can please tell me how you can get a TC in UK? thanks
Reply 17
Original post by kalntax

hi how can I contact you please?
Reply 18
Hi! i'm Applying for a training Contract as well. I just finished my 2nd year in law in uni of London. I was hoping to get a 2020 training contract I have started to appy but now I feel that I wont be able to secure a visa by the time my LPC begins. Is it better if I apply for a 2021 Training contract? Btw I'm a japanese national if that make it easier to answer my question. Thanks x
Reply 19
Hi guys,

Can any international students who received training contracts kindly share which firms they secured them from?

Good job guys!

Latest

Trending

Trending