The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway as an International Student - Psychology

Hello, I'm from the USA and would love to go to RHUL to become a forensic psychologist. I am an upcoming junior in high school and will be graduating in 2020. I would like to know how hard it is to get into this university, and what my odds are currently.
In my freshman year my grades averaged to a GPA of 4.0. I took all honors classes except for math and science.
In my sophomore year I was in all honors classes and my GPA averaged to 3.8. I took the SAT and got a score of 1150, 530 in math and 620 in reading. I'm taking another SAT in August and my goal is to have 600 in math and 680 in reading for an overall of 1280.
This upcoming year, my junior year, I will be taking all honors classes, with the exception of AP English and AP History.
I am in Leo Club and Key Club. I also run cross country and I am in the marching band - I'm drum major for the marching band for my last two years of high school.
Is there anything else I can do to increase my odds of getting into this university? I really have my heart set on it and would be crushed if I didn't get in. Would taking a psychology course in my senior year help out with getting accepted?
Original post by kristincody
Hello, I'm from the USA and would love to go to RHUL to become a forensic psychologist. I am an upcoming junior in high school and will be graduating in 2020. I would like to know how hard it is to get into this university, and what my odds are currently.
In my freshman year my grades averaged to a GPA of 4.0. I took all honors classes except for math and science.
In my sophomore year I was in all honors classes and my GPA averaged to 3.8. I took the SAT and got a score of 1150, 530 in math and 620 in reading. I'm taking another SAT in August and my goal is to have 600 in math and 680 in reading for an overall of 1280.
This upcoming year, my junior year, I will be taking all honors classes, with the exception of AP English and AP History.
I am in Leo Club and Key Club. I also run cross country and I am in the marching band - I'm drum major for the marching band for my last two years of high school.
Is there anything else I can do to increase my odds of getting into this university? I really have my heart set on it and would be crushed if I didn't get in. Would taking a psychology course in my senior year help out with getting accepted?

Hi Kristincody,

It's great to hear you are interested in studying at Royal Holloway!

Our entry requirements for BSc Psychology with SATs is at least a 600 in Reading & Writing and Maths and have 666 in the Essay plus a score of 650 in two SAT II tests.

I recently graduated from Royal Holloway and was an international student from the USA as well so if you have any questions about studying abroad, I'd be happy to answer.

Susana :smile:

It’s not an exceptionally hard university to get into from a British perspective.

Relatively high entry requirements and a good reputation to my knowledge. Extra curricular aren’t too relevant here unless they’re linked or you can somehow link it to your personal statement.

But such a good GPA and a hopeful student there are better universities you could apply to.

A psychology course at Senior Year wouldn’t particularly help as the course is entirely different at undergrad level.
Reply 3
Original post by Royal Holloway, University of London
Hi Kristincody,

It's great to hear you are interested in studying at Royal Holloway!

Our entry requirements for BSc Psychology with SATs is at least a 600 in Reading & Writing and Maths and have 666 in the Essay plus a score of 650 in two SAT II tests.

I recently graduated from Royal Holloway and was an international student from the USA as well so if you have any questions about studying abroad, I'd be happy to answer.

Susana :smile:

Thank you so much! If I have anymore questions I'll be sure to ask! c:
Reply 4
Original post by ohdearstudying
It’s not an exceptionally hard university to get into from a British perspective.

Relatively high entry requirements and a good reputation to my knowledge. Extra curricular aren’t too relevant here unless they’re linked or you can somehow link it to your personal statement.

But such a good GPA and a hopeful student there are better universities you could apply to.

A psychology course at Senior Year wouldn’t particularly help as the course is entirely different at undergrad level.

Thank you for your help! With my grades and scores I have now, which universities do you think would be better for me apply to that are in the UK near/in London? I'm just pretty set on RHUL because of their rankings in psychology, but it's hard for me to assume acceptance rates of schools there! c:
You can definitely get into Royal Holloway. Beautiful campus, i went there on an open day and had an offer (business) but ultimately didnt like the village living and its frankly an expensive village. London prices but none of the fun :frown:
Its in all honesty a university that attracts about B average students, not the best but far from the worst.

Right now your performing at an A average and can easily expect to get in, just keep working hard and apply early (in your cycle)!

In case your wondering which university i chose over it ive linked the psychology course below, btw im american also :smile: you will love it here, the president of my uni is also american :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/psychology/psychology-bsc.aspx
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You can definitely get into Royal Holloway. Beautiful campus, i went there on an open day and had an offer (business) but ultimately didnt like the village living and its frankly an expensive village. London prices but none of the fun :frown:
Its in all honesty a university that attracts about B average students, not the best but far from the worst.

Right now your performing at an A average and can easily expect to get in, just keep working hard and apply early (in your cycle)!

In case your wondering which university i chose over it ive linked the psychology course below, btw im american also :smile: you will love it here, the president of my uni is also american :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/psychology/psychology-bsc.aspx

I'll definitely look into it! Thank you! Honestly right now the only reason I'm not so keen on it is because it's a bit far from Chelmsford and I have some family that lives there that I'd like to visit often or to have when there's an emergency.
I'll definitely look into it! Thank you! Honestly right now the only reason I'm not so keen on it is because it's a bit far from Chelmsford and I have some family that lives there that I'd like to visit often or to have when there's an emergency.

You could also look into:

Kings college London -competitive
Queen Mary UOL - not too hard
UCL - competitive
City university london - not too hard
(Above all in London)
Anglia Ruskin (quite low ranked but in cambridge super close to chelmsford)
Reply 8
Original post by Realitysreflexx
You could also look into:

Kings college London -competitive
Queen Mary UOL - not too hard
UCL - competitive
City university london - not too hard
(Above all in London)
Anglia Ruskin (quite low ranked but in cambridge super close to chelmsford)

I've looked at most of those actually, these are my list of ones I love right now:

-Royal Holloway University of London
- University of Kent
- University College London
- King's College
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Kingston University
- University of Nottingham

How would you rank them as the hardest to get into vs the least and knowing my academic stuff, which ones do you think would be the best for me to apply to? I want to apply to a school that would be challenging to me, but I don't want to not get in 😂 Thank you so much with your help!
I've looked at most of those actually, these are my list of ones I love right now:

-Royal Holloway University of London
- University of Kent
- University College London
- King's College
- Goldsmiths, University of London
- Kingston University
- University of Nottingham

How would you rank them as the hardest to get into vs the least and knowing my academic stuff, which ones do you think would be the best for me to apply to? I want to apply to a school that would be challenging to me, but I don't want to not get in 😂 Thank you so much with your help!

Easiest: Kingston (by far), RHUL, Kent, Goldsmiths (the final three about equal)
Hardest: UCL, Kings (two hardest) Nottingham (Easiest of those three)

The easiest are all good universities, except maybe kingston but i would definitely apply there because its guaranteed as a safety choice.
Then i would suggest RHUL since you really like it already.

Hardest: Apply to all three is your best bet, UCL, Kings, Nottingham

That will give you a greater chance of getting into one.
The hardest are all in something called the Russell Group, which means they recieve the most applications and have a high rate of competition for places, some would call it the british ivy league, but its not nearly as competitive, they still make around 70 plus % offers to applicants.

The way the system has been set up universities have really expanded alot in recent years, so getting a place isnt impossible if your qualified and you likely will be from what i have seen.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 10
Royal Holloway Psychology Department has a postgraduate Clinical Doctorate programme headed by Professor Andrew MacLeod and MRI unit for cognitive research. It was ranked 7th in the UK for Psychology with Birkbeck College UoL ranked 6th. UCL and Kings have outstanding research groups across a range of Psychological research.
(edited 5 years ago)

Hey! I am currently in your position, except applying for MSc Clinical Psych in RHU and Goldsmiths. What did you end up doing?
Original post by khancept16
Hey! I am currently in your position, except applying for MSc Clinical Psych in RHU and Goldsmiths. What did you end up doing?

Hey, I chose RHUL as my firm for MSc CLinical Psych. What did you end up doing? And what were your reasons for choosing this course?
I've lately been a bit concerned about the future prospects of this degree and would love to have a conversation about it

Quick Reply

Latest