The Student Room Group

Plagiarism or cheating

hypothetically speaking, If one was to plagiarize an entire folio but making sure to leave no traces to best ability, how soon would you find out you've been caught? Would it be during summer period (Contacted) or day of results? I haven't done this it's a hypothetical question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Day of results in our dept.
Original post by gjd800
Day of results in our dept.

What would you suggest would be punishment? Failure of that subject? Points deducted? Failure of all subjects? Hypothetically what are the chances of being caught in this scenario?
Reply 3
Original post by A_Literal_Mess
What would you suggest would be punishment? Failure of that subject? Points deducted? Failure of all subjects? Hypothetically what are the chances of being caught in this scenario?

Not sure how it would be in a school or college, I only work in universities so that is where my experience of dealing with plagiarism ends.
Original post by gjd800
Not sure how it would be in a school or college, I only work in universities so that is where my experience of dealing with plagiarism ends.

Well thank you for your help
Reply 5
Me too initially, haha.
sorry about the confusion though, but out of interest what would you of answered?
Honestly i'm just here trying to get a better idea about how the system works and what you said is very helpful so thank you
Reply 8
Levels are different in Scotland but it would be the same for being caught plagiarizing.
Original post by Bio 7
Levels are different in Scotland but it would be the same for being caught plagiarizing.

So consequences in high schools would be the same as UNI?
So consequences in high schools would be the same as UNI?

This booklet details the possible consequences of plagiarising SQA coursework (page 6):
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/SQA_Your_Coursework_2017-18.pdf
Original post by Labrador99
This booklet details the possible consequences of plagiarising SQA coursework (page 6):
https://www.sqa.org.uk/files_ccc/SQA_Your_Coursework_2017-18.pdf

Thank you, i have read this before but im looking for a more personal answer such as what are the chances of being caught and how the process of catching the offenders works
Thank you, i have read this before but im looking for a more personal answer such as what are the chances of being caught and how the process of catching the offenders works

It's pretty much impossible to say what the chances of being caught are, as while the number of cases where candidates have been caught will be known, the number of candidates who have committed some form of malpractice but have not been caught will not be known, as they won't have been recorded as such.
In terms of identifying offenders, the SQA uses plagiarism identifying software, alongside markers and teachers knowing their stuff and basically knowing what malpractice looks like.
If you still want to know more about this, contacting the SQA directly will probably get you the most personal answer in this case.
Also I believe people get contacted before results say because they need to be informed they are being investigated for malpractice?
That's what I assumed, thanks
Just don’t do it, you’re obviously asking because you’ve either done it or are planning to. Produce your own work.
I haven't done it nor am I planning to do It, I know the consequences and would feel guilty to the point of it ruining my health. I'm here to get a better understanding from others rather than read the same 8 sheets online so that I'm able to write and produce a story with as much fact as I can highlighting the dangers and ins and outs of plagiarism and misconduct. Not everyone has bad intentions and I've "obviously" not stated mine correctly, so with a little help from the community I'd like to produce my own work and help others. thank you very much
hypothetically speaking, If one was to plagiarize an entire folio but making sure to leave no traces to best ability, how soon would you find out you've been caught? Would it be during summer period (Contacted) or day of results? I haven't done this it's a hypothetical question

It sounds like a well-planned plagiarism violation. Many cheaters, students or any unoriginal authors may not have been exposed for years, but, as a rule, Justice wins. This article reveals 7 reasons people plagiarize. How do you think, what is the main reason?

https://plagiarismsearch.com/blog/7-reasons-people-plagiarize.html
thanks, the link is useful. personally I think the main reason is pressure and fear of not doing well since affects all of us.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending