The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
Usually it does mean they’re fairly intelligent at least, and the person who gets a first is very likely to be more intelligent than the one who gets a 2.1. Not every degree tests critical thinking and other such skills, especially STEM degrees.

Really depends on the stem degree, but in her case. It absolutely is a degree that should require critical thinking as it is research heavy...which absolutely should mean a good critical thinker. If someone like her was able to get a first....I honestly question whether critical thinking was high enough on the priority list for the university. And if it's not...that kind of makes me question their academic and research standards.
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.

As others have pointed out, getting a first doesn’t mean studying all day and doing nothing else. :smile:
Why not do it all if you can?

In final year, I had 3 temp-style paid jobs (up to 20h/week), was treasurer of a society, mentored exchange students, volunteered at a local high school, took part in an extra-curricular translation competition in two languages, and regularly went to the gym.
It's like a projectle you know; even if they miss, they will surely hit that 2:1
Asking that question on a student forum - Where for the most part, students actively participate in conversations about studying, and come here to ask questions etc - Is gonna give you some really biased, and tbh predictable answers.

Why settle for an A/B when you could get an A*? If it’s not important to you, fine. But it looks better to have the best grades you can achieve as it shows commitment, particularly to employers.

Plus, if you aim for a first but still achieve a 2:1 - That’s fine. It’s given you room for error. If you aim for a 2:1 and get a 2:2, well you did a whoopsie.
(edited 5 years ago)
Some places want firsts or give priority to those with firsts
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.

I have a 1st class degree (I studied a lot) AND have volunteered/worked/been involved in SU activities - I've been in 2-4 positions at any one time during my degree. Plenty of students do the same/similar. Sorry.
2.1 with work experience is greater than 1st with no experience. Person with 2.1 would essentially end up getting the job. There are plenty of students after degree with a 1st and still can't get a job because they got no experience.
Why do people want 3 As at A level when lots of unis will accept BBB? The answer is that it's better to do well than to just do alright. Having a first will give you an advantage and widens your options, albeit by an arguably small amount. People are ambitious and want the sense of achievement of getting a first
Original post by Sahyun
It's like a projectle you know; even if they miss, they will surely hit that 2:1

/endthread

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am just saying that experience has more value than a grade at the end of the day, heard plenty of scenarios of people being unable to get a job because they don't have experience but they do have a 1st. Also Im not talking just about any sort of experience like volunteering or casual jobs to earn money on the side, Im talking about experience that is related to a degree.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
But do you have a job? And if you do, dont take this attitude to the interview, you will walk out shicked and jobless. "But i had a first"

No attitude, just simple facts. Now, if I mentioned everything else I got up to during the three years at uni...

As for a job, had it lined up before finishing uni. Although thanks to the wife I'm now searching again for a completely different region...
Reply 51
Original post by Sulfolobus
Personal standards.

Why settle for a mediocre 2:1 when you can get a 1st?

It depends on where that First is from though :tongue: A 2:1 from UCL is more respectable than a First from an ex-Poly, generally speaking...
Reply 52
Original post by xyz94
It depends on where that First is from though :tongue: A 2:1 from UCL is more respectable than a First from an ex-Poly, generally speaking...

By whom? If employers, then this trope gets done to death on here, and the people on here involved in recruitment mostly agree that they just aren't bothered about this distinction. Some are, but it's far from the norm.
Reply 53
Original post by CrimsonTyphoon
few people graduate with a first.

That's not true at all nowadays. In the humanities subjects, at least (English, Modern Languages) quite a lot of people (nearly 50% in some universities....and this is Oxbridge, not just anywhere!) come out with a First. It also depends on which courses a person chooses to take; some have a higher average grade in general than others. For example, during my finals, in one course I took, the highest mark noted that year was 74. In one course that a friend of mine was studying, however, most people scored 70 or near, and there were quite a few 80s handed out! In Law, I've heard that less Firsts are awarded, but not sure about that, since I didn't study it at undergraduate.
Reply 54
Original post by gjd800
By whom? If employers, then this trope gets done to death on here, and the people on here involved in recruitment mostly agree that they just aren't bothered about this distinction. Some are, but it's far from the norm.

By the highest-earning professions; investment banking (finance in general), consultancy, law (magic circle firms, barristers' Chambers)....
Reply 55
Original post by DeveloperCSS
I am just saying that experience has more value than a grade at the end of the day......

That depends on which sector/area of work we're talking about. For the highest earning professions, a good degree is necessary. You can't get into banking/consultancy/law without a good degree. Not necessarily a first, but at least a 2:1 from somewhere respectable. This wasn't the case 30 years ago, but it has been for the past 10 years or so.
Reply 56
Original post by xyz94
By the highest-earning professions; investment banking (finance in general), consultancy, law (magic circle firms, barristers' Chambers)....

There are several law recruiters on here that say that is not necessarily the case. The only thing for which I have seen it be consistently the case is IB.
Reply 57
Original post by gjd800
There are several law recruiters on here that say that is not necessarily the case. The only thing for which I have seen it be consistently the case is IB.

There may be exceptions, but I haven't heard of anyone getting into a Magic Circle or American law firm with a degree from an ex-poly (e.g. Liverpool met, Manchester met, Lincoln, etc etc).
I just have to come back to this thread because just tonight I got a place on a master's course purely based on the fact that I got a first, no references, no interview, no work experience asked for, no personal statement written.
Reply 59
Original post by xyz94
There may be exceptions, but I haven't heard of anyone getting into a Magic Circle or American law firm with a degree from an ex-poly (e.g. Liverpool met, Manchester met, Lincoln, etc etc).

Mm, you might be right. I'm not au fait with the details of staff alma maters, I suppose.

Not too surprising in one of these cases, though; 'Liverpool Met' does not exist!

Latest