The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Aston university- Optometry lectures

Hi,

Hopefully I’ll be going to aston in September and will be doing a foundation programme in science.

I wanted to ask if anyone goes to Aston and whether lecturers use PowerPoint presentations? If so can students get access to them beforehand so they’re able to print them out ready for the lecture?

Also is it better to hand write the notes during a lecture or use a laptop?

And at Aston University are students allowed to record the lectures? So they can listen to them later and make the notes?

Also do all courses involve lectures (even for me as I’ll be doing a foundation programme before going onto the Optometry course).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Hey

I don't go to Aston but I do know that for the optometry course Aston has recorded lectures which you'll be able to access from Blackboard. I think pretty much all courses at university involve lectures even for the foundation programme.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Hi Alisha999,

I study Marketing and all my lectures are powerpoints which are available on Blackboard before the lecture so you can print them although there may be some minor changes. And after the lecture there is a recording of the lecture available to watch/listen back to.

For note taking, in my lectures they're happy for students to take laptops as long as you're not distracting other students or spending your time online shopping :wink: So if you're more comfortable typing as opposed to writing, I'd take your laptop.

My course is a mixture of lectures and seminars/tutorials. I believe Optometry is a mixture of lectures and practicals however I cannot be certain for foundation.

Hope this helps :smile:

Sadie
Reply 3
Original post by Alisha999
Hi,

Hopefully I’ll be going to aston in September and will be doing a foundation programme in science.

I wanted to ask if anyone goes to Aston and whether lecturers use PowerPoint presentations? If so can students get access to them beforehand so they’re able to print them out ready for the lecture?

Also is it better to hand write the notes during a lecture or use a laptop?

And at Aston University are students allowed to record the lectures? So they can listen to them later and make the notes?

Also do all courses involve lectures (even for me as I’ll be doing a foundation programme before going onto the Optometry course).

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Hi I am about to start second year of optom, lectures are available beforehand.
Reply 4
your preference if you want to hand write or use laptop,you can record, and aston replay is generally not available for the harder modules.
Hey Aisha

Am gonna do the foundation science programme in Aston can u give me a bit of background as to how it was like if u don't mind show me something u have done
Was it all exams or coursework
Wat was the timetable like
Did u find it urself for going into optom
Can u please reply back asap
Original post by appleberry123
Hey Aisha

Am gonna do the foundation science programme in Aston can u give me a bit of background as to how it was like if u don't mind show me something u have done
Was it all exams or coursework
Wat was the timetable like
Did u find it urself for going into optom
Can u please reply back asap

Im doing the foundation programme this year too. Im a little scared about the workload because alot of people are saying that there is alot of content to learn.
Hi I just finished my foundation year. I personally found some modules easier than others.
It’s like doing a really short crash course in a few different A levels, to ensure you have a grasp of broader knowledge and are academically prepared before embarking on an intense course, definitely not the whole spec but just parts of it. Most modules were 70% exam and 30% coursework with the exception of one or two modules being 100% coursework. The timetable I believe was very similar to any degree, mixture of lectures, seminars and practicals. I hope this helps.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Student8965
Hi I just finished my foundation year. I personally found some modules easier than others. Most modules do not directly relate to optometry. It is more about A level knowledge. It’s like doing a really short crash course in a few different A levels, to ensure you have a grasp of broader knowledge and are academically prepared before embarking on an intense course, definitely not the whole spec but just parts of it. Most modules were 70% exam and 30% coursework with the exception of one or two modules being 100% coursework. The timetable I believe was very similar to any degree, mixture of lectures, seminars and practicals. I hope this helps.

Hi :smile: do you do the foundation Optom course at Aston? What were your a level grades if you don't mind me asking :smile:
Original post by sunshine34
Hi :smile: do you do the foundation Optom course at Aston? What were your a level grades if you don't mind me asking :smile:

Hi, Yes I did the foundation year for Optometry at Aston, my A level grades were AAC, however, I am sure they accept BBB or equivalent.

Hi!

Here is a link where all the grades requirements are available:
https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/foundation-programme-in-science-health-science

You will be able to get in touch with the school directly with any specific questions you have regarding the foundation programme.

Hope this helps!
Hi, Yes I did the foundation year for Optometry at Aston, my A level grades were AAC, however, I am sure they accept BBB or equivalent.

They're amazing grades! How were they not enough for the main course? :smile:
Original post by Aston University
Hi!

Here is a link where all the grades requirements are available:
https://www.aston.ac.uk/study/courses/foundation-programme-in-science-health-science

You will be able to get in touch with the school directly with any specific questions you have regarding the foundation programme.

Hope this helps!

Hi - those that do the foundation year, what percentage of students actually get into the main course?
Hi I just finished my foundation year. I personally found some modules easier than others. Most modules do not directly relate to optometry. It is more about A level knowledge. It’s like doing a really short crash course in a few different A levels, to ensure you have a grasp of broader knowledge and are academically prepared before embarking on an intense course, definitely not the whole spec but just parts of it. Most modules were 70% exam and 30% coursework with the exception of one or two modules being 100% coursework. The timetable I believe was very similar to any degree, mixture of lectures, seminars and practicals. I hope this helps.

Hi - what percentage of foundation optom students get onto the main optometry course at aston university? :smile:

What subjects did it cover? I love chemistry, is there a lot? :smile:
They're amazing grades! How were they not enough for the main course? :smile:

Hi, thank you! The grades were good but I didnt have 2 solid sciences. I studied psychology biology and sociology. So in order to progress to Optometry I had to choose the foundation route, however I am glad I did it, it gives you a chance to get used to uni life and the grading/assessment system.
What subjects did it cover? I love chemistry, is there a lot? :smile:

The foundation programme is for a range of routes such as bio med, pharmacy optom etc. Each route has specific module requirements. There are 4 core modules everyone must do and 4 “optional” modules. I say “optional” because each route requires certain modules.
For Optometry:
1) senses and perception/
Most related to Optometry, about the eyes, ears, balance
2) human anatomy and physiology/
Mainly biology, how the lungs work, digestion etc
3) professional skills/ mainly employment/ communication skills
4)Psychology/ infant behaviour, child development
5) Maths/ alevel maths, algebra etc
6) physics, light, refractions etc
7) identities and inequality, sociology
8) biology, a level biology
I genuinely enjoyed the modules I did, definitely feel prepared.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have questions about specifics.
Hi - what percentage of foundation optom students get onto the main optometry course at aston university? :smile:

Im not sure of the exact figures but when I started the course I was told the progression rates are quite high, there are the odd few who fail due to lack of hard work. Aston is a great uni in terms of support so if you feel worried about progression, theres a whole support team thats going to help you.
Hi, thank you! The grades were good but I didnt have 2 solid sciences. I studied psychology biology and sociology. So in order to progress to Optometry I had to choose the foundation route, however I am glad I did it, it gives you a chance to get used to uni life and the grading/assessment system.

Ahhhh yeah that makes sense :smile:
Im not sure of the exact figures but when I started the course I was told the progression rates are quite high, there are the odd few who fail due to lack of hard work. Aston is a great uni in terms of support so if you feel worried about progression, theres a whole support team thats going to help you.

Thank you so much for this info :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest