The Student Room Group

Switching manual lessons to automatic

Hello,

was looking for some advice. I'd like to preface this by saying I'm dyspraxic and a few lessons it's been playing up.

I've had about 7.5 hours on-road lessons, and a similar amount off-road (before I was 17). All lessons have been manual. Although I have been progressing really well my use of gears and such has not been progressing at all, and some lessons has actually been declining. I think this is very much down to the dyspraxia as I'm aware of what I should be doing and know how to do it.

I have an automatic car and drive rather well in it. I've probably got about 11+ hours on-road experience with it, and I'm out driving in it almost every day. I can maneuver and control the vehicle absolutely fine.

I'm wondering whether or not I should just change to automatic lessons? I would pass a lot faster and I wouldn't have to worry about the issue I've been having in a manual.

Thanks
It’s up to you. If there’s a chance that you will ever want to drive a hire car or courtesy car then very often only manual options are available. You might decide to take more lessons and retake your test later on to get a manual license which would cost more long term (but might be the right choice for you).

Short/medium term - if your car is auto then an auto license isn’t going to be a problem.
Reply 2
I agree if you feel safer driving an automatic, then go for an automatic exam. To be honest, it's also far easier to drive when you have the task of gear changes removed!
Reply 3
Original post by Z34
Hello,

was looking for some advice. I'd like to preface this by saying I'm dyspraxic and a few lessons it's been playing up.

I've had about 7.5 hours on-road lessons, and a similar amount off-road (before I was 17). All lessons have been manual. Although I have been progressing really well my use of gears and such has not been progressing at all, and some lessons has actually been declining. I think this is very much down to the dyspraxia as I'm aware of what I should be doing and know how to do it.

I have an automatic car and drive rather well in it. I've probably got about 11+ hours on-road experience with it, and I'm out driving in it almost every day. I can maneuver and control the vehicle absolutely fine.

I'm wondering whether or not I should just change to automatic lessons? I would pass a lot faster and I wouldn't have to worry about the issue I've been having in a manual.

Thanks

With a manual, it can take a while to get used to it. If you find an automatic car easier to drive, then continue with that. Whatever suits you, its your choice at the end of the day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending