The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Graduating with first class marks in each of the three years of my degree is a very personal goal of mine. I've failed and under achieved relative to my capability in every lower level of education so now I'm striving for excellence. One year down, two to go...
No I don't think so
Reply 62
Original post by gjd800
Mm, you might be right. I'm not au fait with the details of staff alma maters, I suppose.

Not too surprising in one of these cases, though; 'Liverpool Met' does not exist!

Well, it's called 'John Moores' now....Used to be called 'Liverpool Metropolitan', I think.
Reply 63
Original post by xyz94
Well, it's called 'John Moores' now....Used to be called 'Liverpool Metropolitan', I think.

No, it was Liverpool Mechanics' School of Arts, and later Liverpool Polytechnic.

Liverpool Met is a cathedral :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by gjd800
No, it was Liverpool Mechanics' School of Arts, and later Liverpool Polytechnic.

Liverpool Met is a cathedral :laugh:

Haha, well I don't know the names of all the ex-Polys!
Reply 65
Original post by xyz94
Haha, well I don't know the names of all the ex-Polys!

To be fair, I only know because I'm a local :laugh:
Reply 66
Original post by gjd800
To be fair, I only know because I'm a local :laugh:

Fair enough. Some of the ex-Polys have changed their names in recent years, in an attempt to distance themselves from the 'Poly' image, but it doesn't really work because everyone knows who they are! :tongue:
Reply 67
Original post by LeaX
I just have to come back to this thread because just tonight I got a place on a master's course purely based on the fact that I got a first, no references, no interview, no work experience asked for, no personal statement written.

Is it funded?
Original post by marupe
Is it funded?

No, my subject area is notorious for lack of funding for master's.
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.

I've just graduated with a first and have loads of volunteer work.

You're showing a lack of ambition. If you can't be arsed putting the effort it then settle for your 2:1, but you sound like you'd be just as happy with a 2:2 so go for that?
I want to be an academic and go into a research career, so I need the best grades to secure the best studentships and funding.
Because this is TSR and people compare their grades like their comparing their penis size.

'look he has a first so hes got a massive penis.'
Reply 72
I just finished year 11 but the reason I can think of is personal satisfaction. We are all driven to get the best grades at school and I think it’s the same at university. With the amount of work that people put into uni they would want something to show for it. Basically, people want a first so they can be the best
This makes me feel kind of ashamed because I'm struggling to even get a 2.1
It's a better grade :tongue:
Original post by APersonYo
Okay, but you will look terrible on your CV when you've done 0 volunteer work or societies and just spent all day studying.

Shows lack of interest and time management skills.

You can do both. Especially if you’re good at time management 😉
You are on a website full of very ambitious students. Most people aim for a 2:1 in the real world
Reply 77
Original post by BrianMcEgg
You are on a website full of very ambitious students. Most people aim for a 2:1 in the real world

Exactly, there are people who are comfortable with the bare minimum and those that do everything to be better and frankly TSR is a collection of those great, high aiming students.
Cuz it’s not about the companies
Original post by iElvendork
I'm not spending £9000 a year on fees to get a 2:1 when I'm completely capable of getting of a 1st

*laughs in american uni fees*

Latest

Trending

Trending