The Student Room Group

LGBT Wasting Time?

- Why must people give up their education time for LGBT stuff at school/college whether it be lectures or multiple class lessons? Honest question.
- Why do we ask for something to be normal but then associate it with everything abnormal or odd? I can't even imagine what SRE is like for my siblings 😐
- Why do we not allow people to use their own time to deal with their sexuality issues and perhaps not eat into other's time (others who are sure of their sexuality- which should be most people....).

Am I the only one who feels like this? I think its almost like some are forcing it upon us and are not giving us much freedom (even to have certain opinions).

Please don't be rude 😔. If I ever give my opinion I get smashed right in the face. I spoke to a vegan recently and she told me I was mentally challenged and asked me to kill myself :/
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dragon5555
- Why must people give up their education time for LGBT stuff at school/college whether it be lectures or multiple class lessons? Honest question.
- Why do we ask for something to be normal but then associate it with everything abnormal or odd? I can't even imagine what SRE is like for my siblings 😐
- Why do we not allow people to use their own time to deal with their sexuality issues and perhaps not eat into other's time (others who are sure of their sexuality- which should be most people....).

Am I the only one who feels like this? I think its almost like some are forcing it upon us and are not giving us much freedom (even to have certain opinions).

I’m not quite sure what you are talking about, but my opinion is that education on sexual orientation etc. is something that we can all learn from. Also, what is SRE?
Original post by Rachmaninov
I’m not quite sure what you are talking about, but my opinion is that education on sexual orientation etc. is something that we can all learn from. Also, what is SRE?

Sex and Relationships Education.
Do you never feel that it takes up a lot of time? I mean in college I had an LGBT-obsessed tutor and I swear every day it was the same thing.

In my opinion, people should deal with their private matters like sexuality in their own time and maybe that allows them to deal with it how they want. Instead of forcing a lot on others who honestly care little or not that much because it may not apply to them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sex and Relationships Education.

Right... surely that’s relevant to everyone?
Original post by Rachmaninov
Right... surely that’s relevant to everyone?

I didn't say it was irrelevant. I think it is questionable what it may include now with the idea being that we must force lgbt ideas on everyone regardless of if they ask for it or not.
The way to normalise things is to discuss them. Therefore the way to try and stop homophobia is to talk about LGBT related things and this also helps young LGBT kids who may feel scared and abnormal. Its the same with racism - many people are racist because they don’t understand and were never taught the historical events that lead us to where we are today.

Also, I’m sure many LGBT kids would rather not constantly sit through sex ed lessons that have no relevance to them, so I’m sure straight kids can sit through one or two LGBT lessons.

Please don't be rude 😔. If I ever give my opinion I get smashed right in the face. I spoke to a vegan recently and she told me I was mentally challenged and asked me to kill myself :/

As an lgbtq person who’s sex Ed involved what felt like 50 lesson on how to put on a condom and had a total of one lesson to do with lgbt which essentially consisted of some people are gay, trans men and women exist and there is this thing called bi where people like boys and girls. And all of this came from the point that other people would be not cishet, never the thought that it could be anyone in the class.
I personally could have definitely benefited from a bit more focus on lgbt stuff, (as could many in my class) even just a few more sexualities being mentioned may has saved me years of thinking I was broken.
Maybe instead of learning how to put a consent on so many times and covering them in shaving foam, whipped cream and other things we could have been taught how to safely have sex with women. Maybe we could have been told a bit more about transitioning or other genders.

I don’t think it needs to be separate from sex Ed, it’s just sex Ed needs to be more inclusive instead of assuming that the whole class is cishet.
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure being any if the letters in LGBT is seen as normal nowadays. But it's I same how far the agenda is being pushed, I mean you see it everywhere now.
Original post by e^iπ
I'm pretty sure being any if the letters in LGBT is seen as normal nowadays. But it's I same how far the agenda is being pushed, I mean you see it everywhere now.

I think it is so hard to tell people about this because if you say you think it is being very harshly forced upon us they assume we oppose the LGBT people. We are sort of given no opportunity to give our views because we aren't LGBT
Huh. In my school I never once had an assembly on LGBT issues or anything... So I would have liked some. In my school, the assemblies felt like "Oxbridge/Russell Group or Death"
Reply 11
Firstly, it's useful for everyone, because any student might potentially be LGBT, and those who aren't will know people (probably many people) who are. Community cohesion benefits when everyone has a good level of understanding about minority issues. Secondly, the point is to give this information to students who don't have access to it in their 'private life' - parents may be unwilling to talk to their children about this topic, and if they also monitor their child's internet use (which many schools actually advise parents to do) then that young person will miss out on potentially vital information being delivered to them at the time it is most needed, while their peers (who, while able to share the information, are not as reliable as a qualified teacher) benefit from a level of education they don't.

Also, the arguments in favour of any SRE being taught in schools also apply to LGBT inclusive education. SRE in schools is standardised and evidence based; there is no way of knowing how complete and accurate a parent's knowledge of the topic is or what misinformation they might themselves have been taught, and it's not guaranteed that a student who is able to look up the topic online will come across good quality information.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by GalGirl101
Huh. In my school I never once had an assembly on LGBT issues or anything... So I would have liked some. In my school, the assemblies felt like "Oxbridge/Russell Group or Death"

To give you an idea of my experience in college: Every route to my law class required that you walk past at least 100 rainbow flags. That and people being pests asking you to sign stuff or join things.
To give you an idea of my experience in college: Every route to my law class required that you walk past at least 100 rainbow flags. That and people being pests asking you to sign stuff or join things.

Eh. If you're really that bothered just say no thanks, smile politely and be on your way. And create mental blocks around people. LGBT folks have been ignored for so long and it's now that they are finally being listened to so if it bothers you, put some imaginary ear plugs and blinds in
I didn't say it was irrelevant. I think it is questionable what it may include now with the idea being that we must force lgbt ideas on everyone regardless of if they ask for it or not.

Specifically, what ideas are being forced on everyone?
I read your whole post and I agree with the vegan.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
I read your whole post and I agree with the vegan.

Such a kind bunch you are.
Such a kind bunch you are.

So you can't take a joke? Got it!

What you're basically preaching in favour of is Don't Ask; Don't tell which didn't work in the past so I have no idea why you think it will work now. Stop trying to silence people and stop participating and supporting LGBT erasure. LGBT people exist and should have as much rights as straight -cis white men like yourself. Don't you agree? Or are you just another intolerant SOB that wants to have a moan about a persecuted minority in our country. You're the reason why LGBT youths have really high suicide rates.

Eat ****.
Original post by Haviland-Tuf
So you can't take a joke? Got it!

What you're basically preaching in favour of is Don't Ask; Don't tell which didn't work in the past so I have no idea why you think it will work now. Stop trying to silence people and stop participating and supporting LGBT erasure. LGBT people exist and should have as much rights as straight -cis white men like yourself. Don't you agree? Or are you just another intolerant SOB that wants to have a moan about a persecuted minority in our country. You're the reason why LGBT youths have really high suicide rates.

Eat ****.

I already posted that I know the risk of having my opinion is that stupid people assume that I oppose LGBT people. you're one of them with no doubt. Must you seek so much attention and make other's life about you and your sexuality? Tbh I wasn't even trying to offend anyone. It seems that my opinion got smashed right in my ****ing face again.
I already posted that I know the risk of having my opinion is that stupid people assume that I oppose LGBT people. you're one of them with no doubt. Must you seek so much attention and make other's life about you and your sexuality? Tbh I wasn't even trying to offend anyone. It seems that my opinion got smashed right in my ****ing face again.

I am not surprised that when you're called out on you BS you withdraw into being an ally again. We do not need fake allies like you so you can **** off. What you are doing in this thread is concern-trolling whereby you are pretending you do not have an issue with LGBT rights while at the same time disingenuously expressing concern about 'wasting school time' in order to undermine or derail the genuine discussion about LGBT visibility which you had no interest in participating in before you even made this thread.

I can read you like a book and I have to say it is not a very interesting one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending