The Student Room Group

Patrick Vieira is the greatest defensive midfielder of all time- prove me wrong.

In my opinion, Vieira is the greatest for a combination of several reasons:

1. His integral role in the great early Wenger-Era Arsenal teams, including the 2001/2002 Double winners and the Invincibles.

2. His role in France's only ever World Cup victory, subsequent Euro 2000 victory, and oh-so-close 2006 defeat to Italy.

3. His four consecutive Serie A titles at Internazionale (however insignificant his role in them was)

4. His physical and technical prowess and dominating style of play.

This is evidenced by his numerous individual honours and success at several of the biggest clubs in world football.

Scroll to see replies

Vieira wasn’t even a defensive midfielder so you’re already wrong before we even get to the ‘greatest’ bit

If you’re talking proper DMs, you’d probably have to put Rijkaard at #1
Reply 2
Original post by eclipseboi
In my opinion, Vieira is the greatest for a combination of several reasons:

1. His integral role in the great early Wenger-Era Arsenal teams, including the 2001/2002 Double winners and the Invincibles.

2. His role in France's only ever World Cup victory, subsequent Euro 2000 victory, and oh-so-close 2006 defeat to Italy.

3. His four consecutive Serie A titles at Internazionale (however insignificant his role in them was)

4. His physical and technical prowess and dominating style of play.

This is evidenced by his numerous individual honours and success at several of the biggest clubs in world football.

Wasn’t a DM and even if he was, wasn’t the best of his generation.
Reply 3
Makelele easily. Although would say Kante is better than him.

Viera was big and black but the real DM in that team was Gilberto Silva.

End thread this is embarrassing.
Reply 4
Is cesc, the snake, who replaced pat a DM?
Makelele was something else.
Makelele ffs guy was limited as ****
Reply 7
Kante is better but as a pure dm during his time nobody was better than makelele
Thread ruined by incorrect description as 'defensive midfielder' hence Makelele, Kante's names are appearing in this thread.

And also on a site aimed at students and young people, anything including the phrase "of all time" is going to struggle to be done justice, most people on here can only remember about 15 years worth of football.

If the thread was, "Patrick Vieira is the greatest midfielder in the history of the Premier League" that would be a good thread for argument. You would quickly get in to comparing apples with pears, eg Vieira v Scholes, but if it came to the question which single player from Premier League history would I most want in my midfield then probably I'd say, in order: Vieira, Gerrard, Scholes, Keane, Fabregas.

All of those were top players but Vieira was the most complete.

Being a bit older than most on here, I was in school when Wenger took over at Arsenal and I remember how everybody was shocked at the time not only that Arsenal had gone for an unknown foreign manager but also that his first signing, was £3.5m for Vieira who was in AC Milan's reserves. At that time, £3.5m was a lot of money, it was the type you'd spend on an established star so to drop that sort of money on an unknown seemed completely bizarre. Well it was an incredible masterstroke.
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Thread ruined by incorrect description as 'defensive midfielder' hence Makelele, Kante's names are appearing in this thread.

And also on a site aimed at students and young people, anything including the phrase "of all time" is going to struggle to be done justice, most people on here can only remember about 15 years worth of football.

If the thread was, "Patrick Vieira is the greatest midfielder in the history of the Premier League" that would be a good thread for argument. You would quickly get in to comparing apples with pears, eg Vieira v Scholes, but if it came to the question which single player from Premier League history would I most want in my midfield then probably I'd say, in order: Vieira, Gerrard, Scholes, Keane, Fabregas.

All of those were top players but Vieira was the most complete.

Being a bit older than most on here, I was in school when Wenger took over at Arsenal and I remember how everybody was shocked at the time not only that Arsenal had gone for an unknown foreign manager but also that his first signing, was £3.5m for Vieira who was in AC Milan's reserves. At that time, £3.5m was a lot of money, it was the type you'd spend on an established star so to drop that sort of money on an unknown seemed completely bizarre. Well it was an incredible masterstroke.

Keane > Scholes=Vieira > Gerrard=Lampard > Fabregas > Toure

Keane was generally regarded as the best b2b midfielder around post-Matthaus.
Reply 10
Kante>Keane too don't @ me

There is no player around like Kante. Maybe this Keita guy.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sergio Busquet
Original post by bj27
Kante>Keane too don't @ me

There is no player around like Kante. Maybe this Keita guy.

Lol you need an education on football history

Kante’s a water carrier
Reply 13
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Lol you need an education on football history

Kante’s a water carrier

Are you 2003 Fiorentino Perez or something? Guess Becks can play the role well.
Anyone heard of Edgar Davids?
Lothar Matthaus

His five World Cup campaigns remains a record for an outfield player, as does his 25 World Cup appearances.
During his club career, Matthaus won seven Bundesliga titles, three German Cups, a Serie A title, and two UEFA Cup titles. Internationally, he helped Germany to the 1980 European Championships, and led them to World Cup success ten years later.
Original post by bj27
Are you 2003 Fiorentino Perez or something? Guess Becks can play the role well.

You just rate basic players way too highly

Go watch some Rijkaard highlights. Or Edgar Davids.
Reply 17
Original post by Kenan and Kel
You just rate basic players way too highly

Go watch some Rijkaard highlights. Or Edgar Davids.

Thought we were talking about the prem?

Thoughts on current generation of DMs then?
Maybe not the best of all time - but Carlos Valderrama is SERIOUSLY underrated. Watch him and just be wowed by the strength/skill.
Original post by the bear
Lothar Matthaus

His five World Cup campaigns remains a record for an outfield player, as does his 25 World Cup appearances.
During his club career, Matthaus won seven Bundesliga titles, three German Cups, a Serie A title, and two UEFA Cup titles. Internationally, he helped Germany to the 1980 European Championships, and led them to World Cup success ten years later.

Matthaus wasn't strictly a DM through, he started as a striker, player box2box then moved to defence. He was amazing in all positions though lmao

Quick Reply

Latest