The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

This is disgusting. Its sexist. The author's tagged it with the word Feminism. I think that that explains a lot.

EDIT: Similar curfews were put in place by the Nazis against the Jews in 1939. They used the same logic as the author of this article to justify their discrimination; "Jews are violent. Jews are rapists. We need protection from the Jews. Therefore, we must have curfews for Jews, we must marginalise and segregate them."

(Anti-semetic Nazi cartoon from the 30s)
(edited 5 years ago)
Got bored after the first two paragraphs. It’s another article trotting out the same old rubbish about how women are blamed for rape because of alcohol or what they’re wearing and that woman are most vulnerable when walking the streets at night. The main reason why this idea is so stupid is that very few rapes are committed by the man in the bushes. Sadly I think there may well be people on here who will come along and say this isn’t such a bad idea
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Wonder if in America we should introduce Curfews for black people due to the unequal amounts of crime they commit.
(Please note I am not advocating this just saying that it is as stupid as the writers idea.)
Reply 5
Yawn. It is dangerous to be out at night in many places on your own, period. Men are more likely to be mugged or assaulted than women. This will of course have something to do with men being more aggressive and antagonistic in general, but I'm bored of this "wah it's so dangerous for us and men don't know our pain" narrative. You may well feel more in danger than men do, but feelings do not inform reality.
Yeah I don't think it's a serious call for an arbitrary curfew, I get the impression it's just to make people think of the parallels :tongue:
Reply 7
Aside from the obvious issues with restricting the freedom of innocent people, introducing curfews to prevent assaults sends the exact opposite of the message which should be being encouraged - it suggests that assault happens because men can't control themselves (and therefore need to be controlled by curfews) and implicitly hands rapists a way of denying responsibility for their actions.
This reads like satire, I just don't have a clue what point the writer is trying to make if it is.
Reply 9
As females, once we’re out and about after dark, post-peak hour, we all know we’re in potential danger. So let’s shift the burden back on to the blokes who certainly could be at large after curfew if they chose to but would know they’re at constant risk of being caught and spending the night in lock-up. (Which, in the scheme of things, still isn’t as bad as the risk of being raped and murdered.)

This is retarded, men are statistically far, far more at risk of becoming victims of physical violence in public than women. Women also have the added advantage that if they are ever harrassed, abused or attacked in public, any other men in the vicinity will always step in to defend her.
Reply 10
I took it as a criticism of the viewpoint that women should avoid assault by not going out alone at night (by turning the argument back on the people who made it), albeit not a clearly signposted one - I imagine that there are some individuals who would actually think of this as a good idea.
I didn't realise Australia was such a feminist **** show now. I'm genuinely sad.
Original post by Beth_H
I took it as a criticism of the viewpoint that women should avoid assault by not going out alone at night (by turning the argument back on the people who made it), albeit not a clearly signposted one - I imagine that there are some individuals who would actually think of this as a good idea.

I read it & I think that's probably the point of it. Its not very clear though- like you say there'll probably be a few people thinking it's a good idea. Also there'll be 'mens rights' types pointing at it & saying 'this is what feminists believe'
I don’t think your average rapist cares too much if they break a curfew.
Reply 14
It doesn't read like a serious suggestion, nor was it funny or clever enough to be effective satire. This is what happens when we create a generation where we tell kids they are good at everything. People like this become writers.

I actually want parliament to introduce such a policy so I have an excuse to join a violent riot and show those feminists just how violent men can be. And when they show up for a counter-protest with their dyed hair, their cute little placards and their holier than thou attitude, the men will show them true gender equality with their fists and their boots. Feminism is a disease. There are few causes I'd risk arrest, injury, muggings and defamation for but this would be one of them. Bring it on feminazis!
Reply 16
Original post by Alesha1991
I read it & I think that's probably the point of it. Its not very clear though- like you say there'll probably be a few people thinking it's a good idea. Also there'll be 'mens rights' types pointing at it & saying 'this is what feminists believe'

True.
Reply 17
Original post by Andrew97

It seems very Poe's law to me, but I bet it is a joke. They've got to know it would never logistically work out, people have go to work past curfew and irregularly. So you could barely enforce it. 70% of the police force alone is male. If they were more serious they'd presented a better time at least.
Reply 18
Original post by Andrew97

Statistically speaking, the 'average' rapist probably commits their crimes indoors anyway.
Original post by Beth_H
Statistically speaking, the 'average' rapist probably commits their crimes indoors anyway.

I know that, but you take my point no?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending