The Student Room Group

GCSE Geography V.S. GCSE History (Deadline 11/7/18!)

I am choosing my GCSEs 1 year early. I have chose Geo, but I'm being indecisive (again).

I'm a higher grade in Geography (4-) and 1 grade lower in History (3-)
In my final exam, I got 31/40 (highest in the class) on my History past GCSE paper and I don't have my Geography results yet, but I feel confident I did well.
I adore my Geo teacher, everyone does, really. But he's leaving this year.
I have has three history teachers in Y8, my favorite being my current one.
The majority of Y8 is choosing Geography due to one on the history teachers (I had him for the first two terms, two teachers in the final term...)
I feel like I'm dipping in Geography slightly but have been making rapid progress all year (3- to 3+ to 4- , I achieved my expected grade)
With my first history teacher, I stayed a 2- for two terms but, jumped to 3- with my second teacher)
Enjoyed history in Y7 but that history teacher left and my first Y8 teacher made my dread it. My second made me like it and third makes me enjoy it again.
My History work has been used as an example once with my current teach and I am always getting praise comments.
I have enjoyed Geography for two years, my old geography teacher also left.
I recall my second history teacher saying those choosing Geography will have a big surprise next year.
BTW, I would like to do something with computers/animation - hence I chose ICT - or writing, like an author, or something to do with science.
It's annoying how inconstant my school is.
Opinions please? Deadline is the 13th!
(edited 5 years ago)
which one do you think you'll enjoy more? try not to base your choices on the teachers.
history's very content heavy and requires a lot of memorisation, geography's a little easier imo as some of it is common sense (eg. human geography)
both of these subjects would not harm your chances at computers/animation/being an author
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
which one do you think you'll enjoy more? try not to base your choices on the teachers.
history's very content heavy and requires a lot of memorisation, geography's a little easier imo as some of it is common sense (eg. human geography)
both of these subjects would not harm your chances at computers/animation/being an author

Thanks for the quick response! I'm mind blowned.
I believe teachers will always play a part in whether your prefer the subject or not.
I prefer Geography but my mum says that History would also be good. She says its totally my choice and since it doesn't effect my career chances, she says I might as well stick with Geo...
Thanks again!
<3
Original post by mammeo30
Thanks for the quick response! I'm mind blowned.
I believe teachers will always play a part in whether your prefer the subject or not.
I prefer Geography but my mum says that History would also be good. She says its totally my choice and since it doesn't effect my career chances, she says I might as well stick with Geo...
Thanks again!
<3

:colondollar:
can't argue with you there!
if you prefer geography, i'd say go for it! i did geography for gcse and really enjoyed it:yep: it's good that your mom's supporting you too!
no problem:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest