The Student Room Group

Sick of being shamed for wearing shorts!!

This is less of question, more of a rant because my day has honestly been ruined by this. Feel free to comment your experiences/opinions.

I decided today to wear shorts and a high neck sleeveless top which, similar to what I've been wearing for the past 2 weeks since it is very hot (which we're all aware of). All that was on show were my arms and legs.

I've had multiple comments today about my shorts (pictured), how they are "too short", "revealing", the can see my "cheeky bits", how I'm "asking for it" by wearing them and that I can't complain if guys harass/perv on me etc.

I find it extremely frustrating as I am simply dressing for the weather, for my comfort and MYSELF, and I still struggle to understand why people cannot accept that my body is a body - not an object for them to constantly criticise. If a man decides to take his shirt off in hot weather, no-one bats an eye - but OH MY GOD a woman in shorts! How dare she???

I have experienced serious harassment from men in the past, none of these situations had any correlation with how much skin I had on show. For example, in the middle of winter I was waiting for my bus to work. I was fully dressed in boots, jeans, a raincoat, hat and scarf and yet still a man advanced on me, ignored my multiple rejections and tried to follow me to work. I was f*cking terrified.

Why do we still have to deal with this kind of attitude?

shorts.jpg

Scroll to see replies

unless you’re really fat those shorts are fine and shouldn’t draw any attention.

men just need to learn not every bum needs to be touched or gawked at and can be left happily alone.

apologies for this on behalf of men like wtf we’re so weird
Rant away! Don't make yourself uncomfortable just because some people can't control their sexual urges.
Reply 3
you call that short? who's saying this crap to you?
Original post by CatL8
This is less of question, more of a rant because my day has honestly been ruined by this. Feel free to comment your experiences/opinions.

I decided today to wear shorts and a high neck sleeveless top which, similar to what I've been wearing for the past 2 weeks since it is very hot (which we're all aware of). All that was on show were my arms and legs.

I've had multiple comments today about my shorts (pictured), how they are "too short", "revealing", the can see my "cheeky bits", how I'm "asking for it" by wearing them and that I can't complain if guys harass/perv on me etc.

I find it extremely frustrating as I am simply dressing for the weather, for my comfort and MYSELF, and I still struggle to understand why people cannot accept that my body is a body - not an object for them to constantly criticise. If a man decides to take his shirt off in hot weather, no-one bats an eye - but OH MY GOD a woman in shorts! How dare she???

I have experienced serious harassment from men in the past, none of these situations had any correlation with how much skin I had on show. For example, in the middle of winter I was waiting for my bus to work. I was fully dressed in boots, jeans, a raincoat, hat and scarf and yet still a man advanced on me, ignored my multiple rejections and tried to follow me to work. I was f*cking terrified.

shorts.jpg

I can relate to this. Those shorts aren't even that short btw. I've got a few pairs shorter than that & have been wearing them with sleeveless tops- for comfort because it's been so warm & have had a few comments & creepy looks over the last few weeks. I don't even wear sleeveless tops that much- I've got a birthmark on my upper arm that I'm quite self conscious about so I prefer long sleeves most of the time.
I also wear skirts with bare legs a lot of the time. I haven't worn tights since I was about 12/13, I used to get a lot of skin irritation/ eczema on my legs & found tights made it flare up. Also around the same time my legs started really growing- I've still got long legs in proportion to the rest of my body & found it hard to get trousers that look right on me so I just adopted short skirts & bare legs as my go to look. It still is, although I'll have to say the skirts I usually wear now aren't as short as some of the things I used to & my taste in footwear has improved considerably:smile: In most weather I'll be wearing a long sleeved top or sweater, jacket & boots so its not like I'm showing a massive amount of flesh. OK it stands out from the crowd & I can accept its going to attract some looks but I really don't like it when some guys feel they have the right to stare at me or make comments about my legs. I've also had a few similar experiences when I have been wearing jeans so its not just down to what I'm wearing.
One incident a few months back, I was on a train with a friend. I was in the seat nearest the aisle & there was a guy across from us just staring at my bare thighs, not even attempting to be subtle about it. My friend was wearing jeans & we made a point of standing up & switching places & me putting my bag over the top of my legs to make it obvious we'd noticed what he was doing. He then suddenly looked away & started looking at his phone making a very unconvincing attempt to seem like he hadn't been doing anything.
Completely agree. If we have to deal with middle aged men taking their tops off and showing their milky white man boobs to everyone, why can't women wear a pair of shorts? It doesn't matter if you're in hotpants or knee-length shorts, all that matters is that you feel comfortable in what you're wearing. If people are so offended by a pair of thighs or their sexual urges suddenly become uncontrollable once they see another human in shorts, that's their issue to deal with.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by CatL8

shorts.jpg

Girl, get over yourself.

If your legs are on show, you will get comments from people, mostly men. I'm not saying you should stop wearing them but you need to understand that these things attract attention and some people won't keep their thoughts to themselves regardless of whether you are comfortable in your attire.
I apologise on behalf of men.
Original post by CatL8

shorts.jpg

Doesn't matter if your wearing artic wear or if your nude, your never 'asking for it' and people have no right to stare at you. Be confident and wear what you want!
Original post by denteddental
Girl, get over yourself.

If your legs are on show, you will get comments from people, mostly men. I'm not saying you should stop wearing them but you need to understand that these things attract attention and some people won't keep their thoughts to themselves regardless of whether you are comfortable in your attire.

I don't understand that at all, why would someone's legs draw attention?
Reply 9
Original post by Alesha1991
I can relate to this. Those shorts aren't even that short btw. I've got a few pairs shorter than that & have been wearing them with sleeveless tops- for comfort because it's been so warm & have had a few comments & creepy looks over the last few weeks. I don't even wear sleeveless tops that much- I've got a birthmark on my upper arm that I'm quite self conscious about so I prefer long sleeves most of the time.
I also wear skirts with bare legs a lot of the time. I haven't worn tights since I was about 12/13, I used to get a lot of skin irritation/ eczema on my legs & found tights made it flare up. Also around the same time my legs started really growing- I've still got long legs in proportion to the rest of my body & found it hard to get trousers that look right on me so I just adopted short skirts & bare legs as my go to look. It still is, although I'll have to say the skirts I usually wear now aren't as short as some of the things I used to & my taste in footwear has improved considerably:smile: In most weather I'll be wearing a long sleeved top or sweater, jacket & boots so its not like I'm showing a massive amount of flesh. OK it stands out from the crowd & I can accept its going to attract some looks but I really don't like it when some guys feel they have the right to stare at me or make comments about my legs. I've also had a few similar experiences when I have been wearing jeans so its not just down to what I'm wearing.
One incident a few months back, I was on a train with a friend. I was in the seat nearest the aisle & there was a guy across from us just staring at my bare thighs, not even attempting to be subtle about it. My friend was wearing jeans & we made a point of standing up & switching places & me putting my bag over the top of my legs to make it obvious we'd noticed what he was doing. He then suddenly looked away & started looking at his phone making a very unconvincing attempt to seem like he hadn't been doing anything.

Yeah I am similar to you, I'm also tall and my legs are awkwardly long. I've always been self-conscious but I'm working on it.
I understand people will look and most of the time I couldn't care less, but multiple unwanted comments in one day gets on my nerves and it really does take a toll.
Reply 10
Girl, get over yourself.

I appreciate what you're saying, but I think you are missing my point. I am not bothered by people looking at me, everyone looks at each other as we go about our daily lives. I don't get triggered if someone so much as glances at me, because that would be ridiculous. However, what I am talking about is the unnecessary, inappropriate and sexual comments I (and other girls) have been receiving, specifically related to wearing shorts.

It makes me feel uncomfortable, less confident and gross. It is embarrassing to be publicly called out for what you're wearing. Sometimes it can be threatening.

You could suggest we cover up, but frankly, why should we have to?

I doubt very much my brother will go out in football shorts and topless, and receive comments from old women, saying "ooo I can see everything", wolf whistles and the like.
Those are so short
Reply 12
Original post by Dragon5555
I apologise on behalf of men.

I know it isn't all men, I have a lot of guy friends who think it's dumb as well :smile: it's just frustrating when it does happen
if your butt can be seen, then get some longer shorts cuz that's disturbing. the shorts in the picture don't seem that short but I personally would wear longer shorts.
Original post by CatL8

shorts.jpg

That's really disgusting that someone would make fun of a woman for wearing shorts!

I know how you feel with being harrassed :frown: it's horrible, you just wanna dress nice and like the clothes, and you have pervs making comments, giggling and you hear them. It's horrible :frown: I hate it too
Reply 16
Like who's commented- random people in the street ?

Original post by CatL8
Yeah I am similar to you, I'm also tall and my legs are awkwardly long. I've always been self-conscious but I'm working on it.
I understand people will look and most of the time I couldn't care less, but multiple unwanted comments in one day gets on my nerves and it really does take a toll.
Original post by Joleee
you call that short? who's saying this crap to you?

I agree - that's a perfectly respectable length in 2018!
Are you currently holidaying in Saudi Arabia? When you said people were commenting on how short and revealing they were, I was expecting short-shorts, those are normal sports shorts which aren't particularly short at all...

Screw the haters, wear what you want to feel comfortable, especially in this heat wave! You have a right of expression and that includes the clothes you wear. :h:
Lmao I've seen far shorter than that. Have you travelled back in time to the 60s or something?

Girl, get over yourself.

Complimenting and/or looking at somebody is one thing, but criticising people's clothing choices on arbitrary bs like 'they are too short' and saying they're 'asking for it' is rude af.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending