The Student Room Group

How often should i wash my vulva/ vagina?

Okay, so generally i wash about 2-3 times per day down there. Once with a mild soap in the shower (only the vulva, not near my vaginal opening) and the other times just with warm water.

Is this too much or too little? Also, is using soap on the vulva okay? I avoid putting soap near my actual vagina because i have heard it's bad

Scroll to see replies

Avoid soap even of it's mild. Water will suffice.
Reply 3
Original post by AppleB
Avoid soap even of it's mild. Water will suffice.

really? what about during periods? Or summer? I feel a bit gross if I don't wash the outside of the vulva
fun fact: vagin*s actually clean themselves
Original post by Anonymous
really? what about during periods? Or summer? I feel a bit gross if I don't wash the outside of the vulva

Just wash more regularly. You really don't need to use soap anyway unless you're dirty with something that's greasy/non-organic. After recurrent vaginal infections I stopped using any kind of soap or body wash all together and haven't had an infection since (bar the one time I resused it again and bang came the infection). I'm not smelly or dirty, even when on my period of sweaty. I just use a body cloth in the shower to rub myself.
Reply 6
Just wash more regularly. You really don't need to use soap anyway unless you're dirty with something that's greasy/non-organic. After recurrent vaginal infections I stopped using any kind of soap or body wash all together and haven't had an infection since (bar the one time I resused it again and bang came the infection). I'm not smelly or dirty, even when on my period of sweaty. I just use a body cloth in the shower to rub myself.

See when I used just water, there was a bit of a musty smell. Then I started using soap regularly on my actual vagina not just the vulva and I think it reacted badly and started to get dry and smell bad. So now, I just use soap on the outsides and not near the opening of the vagina and I smell fine. Maybe every vagina is different?
Daily cause of disability.
You should avoid washing with soap as that upsets the ph balance in your vulva area and that will then make it smell bad. If you are worried you could use something like FemFresh, but yes vaginas do clean themselves and so using very fragrant soaps or body washes etc can upset it and make it smell. You don't need to do much just water and not a strong smelling soap or FemFresh abd you should be fine :smile:
Reply 9
Okay, so generally i wash about 2-3 times per day down there. Once with a mild soap in the shower (only the vulva, not near my vaginal opening) and the other times just with warm water.

Is this too much or too little? Also, is using soap on the vulva okay? I avoid putting soap near my actual vagina because i have heard it's bad

That's pretty often and you really don't need to be doing it that much. If you're not getting any issues then it's not exactly a big deal and you're right that different things work for different people. Using soap is generally fine, but also not necessary and any soaps with scents etc can cause irritation so it's best to avoid them.

Honestly though you do not need to be putting that much effort in and if you're thinking maybe something isn't right you likely need to go in the direction of less cleaning rather than more.

You should be totally fine just to give it a quick rinse as you wash the rest of your body (assuming you wash regularly) or giving a quick wash each day.
With periods or really warm weather you might like to just use some wet wipes when you go to the loo to keep things a bit more fresh rather than adding a whole extra lot of washing. If you do notice a need to wash more then go for it, but you probably don't need to.

I would give a go at washing less frequently and not using soap. See how that goes. I expect you will find that's fine and you can save on a lot of effort and if you're getting any issues at the moment they may well improve.

There is no need at all to clean the inside of your vagina.

Here's some more info:
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/keeping-your-vagina-clean-and-healthy/

Hope that helps. Basically just experiment a bit and see what works for you. Seeing as you're already at the high end of washing you can start experimenting with less.

Water cleans.
See when I used just water, there was a bit of a musty smell. Then I started using soap regularly on my actual vagina not just the vulva and I think it reacted badly and started to get dry and smell bad. So now, I just use soap on the outsides and not near the opening of the vagina and I smell fine. Maybe every vagina is different?

Honestly, don't listen to the rubbish from people who are telling you to wash less. Washing two or three times is absolutely fine, especially in this hot weather or when you are on your period. There are plenty of countries in the world where people wash after every time they use the toilet instead of using toilet paper. If you are happy with what you are doing, I would keep going with it.

Using a mild soap or pH balanced wash on the vulva is absolutely fine, though I wouldn't do it any more than once a day. I agree that only ever using water is a bit unhygienic - you wouldn't wash your hands with water only after wiping your genitals, so how is washing with just water down there OK?

You don't need to use soap. Just warm water will do because it's self cleaning. If you're happy with the amount you're washing then keep going, but you really don't need soap.
in this heat and if you are on your period then yes you could wash that much. but usually why would you wash that many times there? but you know best.

You shouldn't even clean inside your vagina as its self clenshing
Washing two to three times per day is fine and if you are comfortable with that amount than great. As for the soap in that area I would also agree to avoid it and just use warm water to clean the area. It works.
Original post by AlyKat2000
Washing two to three times per day is fine and if you are comfortable with that amount than great. As for the soap in that area I would also agree to avoid it and just use warm water to clean the area. It works.

Original post by DrawTheLine
You don't need to use soap. Just warm water will do because it's self cleaning. If you're happy with the amount you're washing then keep going, but you really don't need soap.

You might think just water works, but the NHS recommends using a simple soap to wash the vulval area:

"Use plain, unperfumed soaps to wash the area around the vagina (the vulva) gently every day. The vagina will clean itself inside your body with natural vaginal secretions (discharge). [...] Washing with water and a plain soap should be all you need to keep your vagina healthy. "

I personally would go with the NHS advice

(Source: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/keeping-your-vagina-clean-and-healthy/)
You might think just water works, but the NHS recommends using a simple soap to wash the vulval area:

"Use plain, unperfumed soaps to wash the area around the vagina (the vulva) gently every day. The vagina will clean itself inside your body with natural vaginal secretions (discharge). [...] Washing with water and a plain soap should be all you need to keep your vagina healthy. "

(Source: https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/sexual-health/keeping-your-vagina-clean-and-healthy/)

Whatever works for you! Personally I haven't used soap, only water and I'm healthy.

That is great. Soaps have a tendency to dry my skin out and even irritate at time. Even the hypoallergenic soaps have done it. I will stick to just water as it has not posed a problem for me yet.
Damn girl you must have a stanky pussy!

Quick Reply

Latest